Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #85

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I talked to the "key guy" for the FJ dump station in Indiana a couple of days ago and he said that nearly all users are OK with and understand the fee, and are still appreciative of the FJ RV service lanes. He did say that some are real a_______ , want every thing for free, plus give the attendants a ration of s___ each time they have to pay to utilize the dump service. He also said that most of the trash talkers are Class A owners who can probably afford the five bucks.

Stated that he has been told a pay-point is planned so that you do not have to call a "key guy" to use the service.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #86

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeduffer View Post
........ He also said that most of the trash talkers are Class A owners who can probably afford the five bucks. .....
Actually, if those folks are in newer "financed" class A's they are so "upsidedown" in their coaches that they can barely afford the fuel!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #87

I appreciate all the folks who would just LOVE to dole out 5 bucks to dump your sewer (the sign that caused my current state of anger was 10 dollars). I also appreciate that in your oppinion FJ is doing you a favor for charging you for the "service." But as far as I am concerned that "service" is what GAVE (past tense) the edge over several of the NICER places to fuel. As a matter of fact FJ's pumps are slower and more sensitive than ALL the other Gas stations that I have had to use. If what they want is a DUMP FEE, Then that is what I will give them and then go somewhere else to top off my tanks. Friends, you need to realize that WE do them a favor by shopping with them NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. The use of the dump station was a great draw to their business. So this is NOT wanting something for nothing. Gas IS 3.00 a gallon again. So in this economy, with FJ's gas being as expensive now as everyone elses (and sometimes more) that dump station was what they had over the other places. They could have easily turned some of their advertising expense toward their dump costs (If in fact there is any) because that's what drew US in. When I was confronted (for the first time--which means I will probably get over this by morning ) by the 10 dollar sign, I went it to pay the fee (and it was 10 dollars not 5) the desk clerk asked me if I bought a lot of fuel at FJ. I said matter of factly, "I used to." She then tried to talk me into their frequent flyer card. Seems I could have gotten it for 5 if I had one of those. I would have talked to the manager and said everything I said here if I could have found one. The point to this whole exercise is this: If FJ wants the tens of thousands of us to shop at their store, it behooves them TO EARN OUR BUSINESS. Its called SERVICE and it is something businesses offer too little of these days.
freedumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

I agree we should all "vote with our feet" and take our business where it is most appreciated. It's the only meaningful way to express an opinion about a business and the value of its products/services. I just don't see any reason to be outraged because FJ dropped what used to be a freebie.

The reduction in free services coupled with higher fuel prices makes FJ less attractive to RVers than in the past. I will probably still go there because of the cash price for credit cards at the truck island, something I can't get anywhere else that I know of. For me, the convenience of using the truck islands at the cash price outweighs any other consideration except the fuel price itself.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #89

freedumper, I don't think any of us are lining up to pay the 5 or 10 bucks to dump our tanks, but I find it a reasonable charge for providing the service. Yes, free would be better, but considering the other services FJ provides for RVers outweighs the cost. I have traveled extensively throughout the US and have not found a gas station or truck stop chain that is consistently as clean, convenient and friendly towards RVers as FJ. If there is another chain out there that provides the same or better services for RVers as FJ, please let us know.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #90

I have always voted with my feet and I have tried Loves, T/A and others and I always return to Flying J. The J is much cleaner, much easier to get in and out of (most of the time) and I can use my CC at the pump to get the pump started. I suspect that I have only used Flying J to dump 2-3 times per year so this is not a big issue for me but it is nice to know that the service will still be available should I need it. Many locations have closed there dump stations entirely.
Everyone seems to think that it's OK that the 5 cent candy bar now cost $1.00 and 50 cent gas now costs $3.00. However, it's not OK for a business trying to stay in business should charge a small fee for a service that just to provide for free. Personally, I don't get it. Dumping and filling costs money. Anyone have their household water bill handy? How much does it cost you for a gallon of water? A few cents per hundred gallons? Isn't there a sewer charge added for gallons of water used? I take on 165 gallons of fresh water when I fill up, most RV's take close to 100 gallons. What about the folks that throw garbage in there and clog the system? Who's going to clear that? Did you want the area cleaned from time to time? Do I like the idea that I will have to pay to dump? Not really, but I am also not offended by it. I saw someone post that they don't have to pay at a site near their home so they don't see why they have to pay at Flying J. This is, of course true. However, if you are in CA and that free dump is in TX it's going to be a costly drive just so you can dump for free. Dumps are available almost everywhere and most are paid services. I am just happy that when Flying J got into financial trouble that they did not close their doors and I will continue to support this company as long as they continue to treat RVers with the respect that they always have.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Stopped at 2 different J's on Friday 1 in Ohio and 1in PA. Both were very layed back about the $5 fee. In Ohio a TT pulled up, dumped and just drove right out of the station with out even buying a candy bar. These are the type of RVers that cause this to happen.
As it all ways is, the few make the rest of us pay.
It is not only the J, but the States have shut down just about every dump station they use to have in the REST AREAS that are not open any longer.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Hi freedumper,
Welcome to iRV2. Your first post is an interesting one. Over time, the J has earned my business. I echo Bill's post. The J is the best place for a coach and toad to stop, simple as that. If the most valuable service the J provides you is the dump service, you should be angry. If one wants to take advantage of a business's services one needs to understand how to do that. The frequent fueler (not flyer) card provides advantages (discounts) not offered to those who do not hold the card. If you do not want to participate, by golly, you should go elsewhere. If you can purchase fuel at another location, get the cash price using a CC, get an additional discount on fuel, get a nice hot meal, easy in and out, a place to park (if you need it), dump (if you need to) and a clean facility to do business in with employees that understand the word customer then I'd appreciate it if you would go elsewhere. The J even has a booklet listing all their locations. There is no guessing where one can get these services. This booklet is great for planning stops. If the attitude expressed in your post is the same as you express to J employees, I'd prefer you go elsewhere. Leave the J to those who benefit from the services they provide. There are quite a few RVers who find the J has the best total value around.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:14 AM   #93

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi freedumper,
Welcome to iRV2. Your first post is an interesting one. Over time, the J has earned my business. I echo Bill's post. The J is the best place for a coach and toad to stop, simple as that. If the most valuable service the J provides you is the dump service, you should be angry. If one wants to take advantage of a business's services one needs to understand how to do that. The frequent fueler (not flyer) card provides advantages (discounts) not offered to those who do not hold the card. If you do not want to participate, by golly, you should go elsewhere. If you can purchase fuel at another location, get the cash price using a CC, get an additional discount on fuel, get a nice hot meal, easy in and out, a place to park (if you need it), dump (if you need to) and a clean facility to do business in with employees that understand the word customer then I'd appreciate it if you would go elsewhere. The J even has a booklet listing all their locations. There is no guessing where one can get these services. This booklet is great for planning stops. If the attitude expressed in your post is the same as you express to J employees, I'd prefer you go elsewhere. Leave the J to those who benefit from the services they provide. There are quite a few RVers who find the J has the best total value around.
Well Stated -- Just fueled at FJ again today and as always very appreciative of the Customer Service, Cleanliness, and First Rate Refueling point as compared to most companies. I hope they can maintain this standard following the merger.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #94

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Why do I use the J, let me tell you. It's clean! I have a 45' and toad and can always get diesel without any hassle. The few times I have tried a Loves, TA or Pilot, I have to wipe the soles of my shoes thoroughly before I can enter my coach. I use disposal gloves when handling the fueling hose. I also have been in the line that has the extra ring on the nozzle that doesn't fit into the filler. Then I have to go in and find out which ONE has the regular nozzle, pull out and queue up at another pump. Even the truck parking areas in the J are cleaner than the others. (Most times I cannot overnight in the rv area because of my length.)

The 1 cent savings on 100+ gallons is insignificant and not the reason I use the J, it's the cleanliness, the staff and the overall experience of using this place. The $5 charge is not going to drive me off looking for someplace that I can get this for free. My reason of patronizing a place that seems to care about us and our experience at using their facility.

I dread the day it becomes another Pilot.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #95

Anyone know if there will be a charge for simply taking on fresh water?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
At least in the south most of the rest stops along the interstate have a dump station. I have always dumped at the campground I'm staying at so I haven't run into that problem yet.
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post
I dread the day it becomes another Pilot.

Sadly, I fear that day is well on it's way - one $ added, and one fewer "benefit" at a time...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboniko View Post
At least in the south most of the rest stops along the interstate have a dump station...
Coming out west from NC, we ran into several rest areas that simply didn't exist anymore. And a few no longer had dump stations or they were "temporarily closed".
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote