Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I registered for Pump Start in early January and have visited a J or Pilot three times since, but only fueling the toad at the gas pumps. My transactions are recorded against my card/account and I've received "points" for two of them but my account still says I need 500 gals to get Pump Start status.
Were all 3 of the fill ups over 25 gal. every time?
Did you get the 2¢ discount?
The rules say after you have the "Start" a 25 gal minimum is required to get the discount.
Maybe you have to use the RV Island pumps.
Quote:
"Rules" (currently available at RV and auto diesel lanes only)- COMING SOON TO TRUCK DIESEL LANES
I don't think you will find gas at the Truck Lane pumps.

The "Start" 500 gal. is the same requirement for Gas MH's.

When you registered at the "Service Counter" did they ask you if the "Start" was for gas or diesel?

Maybe they still have bugs to fix yet.
Hope they get them all fixed by May when I start my travels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
I used my unregistered RV card at several Flying J's & Pilots last week on my trip from TX to NC. My CC & loyalty card was accepted at all the Flying J's with the .02 discount for gas. The last stop I made was at a Pilot. My cards were accepted & turned on the pump, but I did not receive the .02 discount. My wife has a seperate card account. She used her card in the car which was driven seperately. She recieved the discount at all FJ's but not the Pilot also. I went inside to the cashier & she credited all the fuel purchases to my wifes account for points & a free shower. After I returned home I went to their website & found that the 100 gal rule would have been in effect for the RV, but not the car. I also registered the RV card on thier website at this time. I did not see the statement about a min of 25 gal must be purchased before the discount. I use my loyalty card for my MH & my other cars. With this said I am assuming I will not receive any discount for gas since my cars do not have a 25 gal capacity & now I may not even be able to turn on the pump with my CC, or is this in the deisel truck lanes only. They are making it harder for me to be loyal. Most exits or one near where I need gas seem to have more than one truck stop to give plenty of area for manuevering a big MH. My loyalty stops at my time & money. If Flying J/ Pilot wants my bussiness they need to show it, not make it harder to or take me longer to fuel up & get back on the road. When I am on the move with the MH it is for work, time is money.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Great News,
I have been notified that the 500 gallon prerequisite for pump start is being eliminated for RV customers! This should be completed by the end of February, at the latest. I'll be traveling in February so I'll get a change to try it out. The Loyalty Card discount at the truck pumps is still being worked on. All I know is the programming on this feature is more difficult than they expected. Yea for the Pilot/J. Soon we will be back to "normal".
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #74
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think this would be the first time a quick and simple project turned complex.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Great Navigator Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi tomsm,
At this time, I am discussing only how to accommodate the long time customer in the loyalty program, for the pump start feature. I prefer to include only this topic, at this time.

There has been considerable number of posts about J prices. I was just at the Tampa Super Show and agree with what you posted, as to the Seffner J diesel prices. That being said, I think a local resident can almost always find a lower price than the major truck stop located at an interstate exit. This past summer (summer is when the majority of my fuel is burned) I found the J to be competitive at the exit they are located at. TA, Pilot, Loves, etc. where I needed fuel were all within a nickel of each other on cash price. The J is the only place I can get the cash price. At the other fueling stations I would be paying the credit price. In addition, the J does offer an additional discount for being in their loyalty program.

The bottom line, for me, is the J's pricing is not out of line based on where I have stopped. When looking at the net cost, to me, the J is competitive. When looking at the entire package the J offers, they are very competitive. When I mention the entire package I refer to when the loyalty benefits are extended to the truck pumps. I am not comfortable using the RV pumps due to my overall length. The entire J package includes:
1. located at the interstate exit
2. easy in/out
3. easy parking if I want to have a meal (in the coach or their restaurant)
4. on-site restaurant
5. on-site store
6. free overnight parking
7. cash price using the credit card of my choice
8. loyalty program discount
9. consistent fueling/payment process

If only the sign posted cost of fuel is what one needs, a fueling location other than the J might be best.

This summer is a long trip out west. Time will tell if I have the same opinion when I return as I have now.

Mapquest has a great cheapest-gas finder similar to the one we use in aviation. For those of us with an iPad or iPhone equipped navigator enroute, this could save lots of money!

Mapquest Cheap Gas Locator
Old 01-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #76

Realize getting into this late. We have a Flying J card but have not used it yet. Presently enroute to Naples, Fl from CO. Found most of Pilot, TA and J more expensive than regular stations. Also they all use the credit/cash differential (suspect favors truckers who pay via voucher same as cash). So first question is do card holders pay cash price with card and credit card? Second, our card is "flying j rv real value member" Is this the Latest? How get new if necessary. Since convienence with a toad is primary, we have been very successful using the Next Exit to find RV friendly locations and Truckmaster fuel on line to find best prices enroute. Bottom line is the Flying J program worth it?

nick dienes
Old 01-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Hi nsdienes,
To answer your questions:

Using the Pilot/J loyalty card will get you the cash price when using a credit card. The RV Real Value Card is the same card I use. It is not the latest card. However, there is no need to get the "latest" card unless you have never used your RV Real Value Card. To get the most current card, ask a cashier at any Pilot/J location. The RV Real Value card will work just the same as a new card. Because I have a history already built with the J, I will retain my RV Real Value Card.

To benefit from the Pump Start Feature, one needs to register your card with a cashier at and Pilot/J. During the registration process the cashier will ask for your driver's license and record the number in their computer system.

Everyone has their own method of fueling their coach and finding the best place, for them, to do so. For me, I'll be using the Pilot/J. Most likely much more J than Pilot.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #78

If I can avoid it, I do not use FJ, Pilot or Loves, but try to find a smaller station, not with a big chain, that sells lots of diesel. "The Next Exit" is a big help. The big three are dirty, crowded, expensive, full of hassles and generally, IMHO, not worth the trouble.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Right, but the purpose of the 500 gal thing is to demonstrate that you are a reliable credit card customer rather than a "drive off". I can demonstrate that at any fuel pump, right? But who says any of this has to make sense...
Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Great News,
I have been notified that the 500 gallon prerequisite for pump start is being eliminated for RV customers! This should be completed by the end of February, at the latest. I'll be traveling in February so I'll get a change to try it out. The Loyalty Card discount at the truck pumps is still being worked on. All I know is the programming on this feature is more difficult than they expected. Yea for the Pilot/J. Soon we will be back to "normal".
Does that mean the 300 gal diesel limit a month will be dropped also?
The rules said after you bought the 500 gal and got the "Start" The 300 gal limit would be changed to unlimited.

Most gas MH's can burn up their 100 gal a month limit in 2 days.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Triker56,
There is no limit for a registered Loyalty card. To register, contact a cashier at any Pilot/J. The following is an overview of RV Loyalty customers benefits. From the Pilot/J web site:
  • Instant fuel discounts at the pump on diesel, gas, and propane
    • $0.03 off diesel (currently available at RV and auto diesel lanes only)- COMING SOON TO TRUCK DIESEL LANES
    • $0.02 off gas
    • $0.10 off propane
  • $5 off dumping fees
  • Register your card to earn special members-only offers
    • Unlimited fuel discounts (no max gallons)
    • Pump Start
    • Members-only benefits such as the Coffee Club, buy 5 hot beverages and the 6th is on us!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know for sure if using cash is cheaper at the J ? I heard it was but no response from Fly J or pilot .John
Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

At the car & RV pumps, no. Cash & credit are the same price there.

At the truck islands, there is an extra charge (currently about 6 cents/gal) for using credit card, so cash is cheaper there. The cash price in the truck lanes is the same as the Car/RV island price.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #84

Thor Owners Club
I was at Flying J 3 days ago. Used both value cards by mistake and they both worked and I got my discount. I did have to get just $75 at a time but had no trouble getting my discount. I was in the RV lane not the truck pump. Also had no trouble getting in and out w/ a 42 footer and toad.
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Closed Thread