Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #1

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Overland Owners Club
Flying J Discount card

Has anyone had any experience with the Flying J Discount card that Good Sam Club now has. The notice we received said $.03 savings for fuel but on the site it indicates $.04 discount. However, unless you let them draft from your checking account, you are limited to $1,000 ($2,500 with draft). I hesitate doing drafts unless I am certain my bank information will not be compromised.

Anyone a member?
HC-1 phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I was going to sign up for the card to be able to get the $.06 diesel discount and to be able to pay at the trucker's pumps at the truck stops. However, when I got to the part of the application where it requires my bank account information (for either the $2,500 automatic draft or the $1,000 card), I just deleted the previous information and forgot about it. To me, there is just too much of a possibility that my bank account information can be compromised. I guess that's how they limit the number of these cards they issue!
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I looked at it as well. thought it would be handy. For the reason's noted in the previous post's I passed.
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi HC-1 phil,
There are two discount programs available at Pilot/Flying J (PFJ). Consider going to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/good-...rd-113659.html and read the thread. It is on the same topic. For additional information my post is #5.

The first is the PFJ RV Frequent Fueler Advantage Program. Go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/hi-im...g-j-89955.html and read post #1. There are links in that post to the PFJ web site.

The newest program is the one mentioned in your post. The PFJ Good Sam RV Plus Card. This is a charge card. On the Good Sam (GS) web site one must be a member to view the benefits. There is a sliding scale for fuel discounts depending on your membership with GS. This is a charge card. To have this card one must provide all the information required by law. This includes your SS number. The card requires requires payment of the balance, in full, each month. GS and PFJ have decided on the method of ensuring this payment. There is nothing sinister about this.

Each program has benefits that will meet the needs of RVers. For me, the original program provides more benefits than the GS program. However, if the GS program is makes sense for you, go for it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have the RV member card.. the one that is NOT a charge card. I use it to start the pumps in the truck isle then go inside and pay. While it is not as good of a discount as the new charge card it does allow me to use one of my rewards credit cards and it gives me the cash price plus another .03 per gal off and works well.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
There are always exceptions to the following narrative. Stay at the macro level and it is generally correct.

To those who, for some reason, fear the automated transaction maybe this will help. To create an automated payment from your account to another account (a push) within the same financial institution is easy and free. To do the same from your account to another financial institution's account requires an Automated Clearing House (ACH) membership and ID number. Since the cost of an ACH membership and number would be prohibitive for an individual, large institutions (like PFJ) offer a way to pull the $s from an account. There is nothing sinister about this. It is just a way of doing business.

Many RVers use this method to pay fixed expenses (CC, utility, vehicle payment, mortgages, etc). One can contact their bank and stop the automated transfer any time they want. It is the same as any automated payment one creates. This is the only way for a company, utility, bank, etc, to pull $s from your account. An individual can not create a push.

For me, I've been using push and pull transactions for years. It is convenient, remains under my control and frees up me time. All I need to do is audit my statements once a month. Looking back, I've had this benefit for over 20 years. Never had a problem.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #7

I used the Flying J RV card for probably 20 years until Pilot bought the J. Then I cut it up as being worthless.
Being a GS life member the P/J (Pilot/Flying J) literature I received said that I was eligible for an $0.08/gal diesel fuel discount. This literature is VERY CONFUSING! After thoroughly going through it the information the “card” is a P/J discount (charge) card good only at P/J stations to receive the discount. I will repeat again, unless I don’t understand the information correctly, it is a P/J discount charge card good only at P/J stations to receive the discount! Somebody correct me if I am wrong!
I have a Chase rewards card that for the first quarter of this year pays 5% fuel rewards to my rewards account and 1% on all other purchases. Now I am not an expert in mathematics but with diesel running about $4.00/gal, 5% of $4.00 is .20 cents/gal. Why do I want to lose $0.12 cents/gal even at a P/J station (which arn't always the least expensive)?
Then I also have a Citi rewards card that during last quarter of last year paid 5% rewards on fuel purchases and 1% on all other purchases. Then I also have a B of A rewards card that pays 3% on fuel, 2% on grocery and 1% on all other purchases year around. So even when the other 2 cards don’t have their “special offer” of 5% rewards, I use the B of A card for fuel. 3% of $4.00 is $0.12 cent rewards. BTW- I always pay my cards off immediately on receipt and pay NO interest!
Confusing? YES, to juggle 3 rewards cards! However, I consider it a game, if the CC companies offer the rewards discount cards I am willing to take advantage of it! To keep it straight I have a small card in my wallet that tells me which card to use.
After all this I sent the GS, P/J information to the round circular file.
BTW- At most “big truck stops” if you are in the truck line if you use the phone to the fuel desk they can verify thru the camera that you are an RV and not a commercial vehicle and adjust the price accordingly.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #8

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Overland Owners Club
I agree with you completely about drafts. We draft from our banking acccount our water, electric, gas, cable, etc every month and I pay the remainder of the bills online. However, my concern with this card was how easy is it to use the card. Is a PIN required to use it so if it should get lost, it cannot be used?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #9

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Overland Owners Club
I also have a chase card with the 5% for January through March. When I first started looking at this I thought it was just for the discount and I was going to use it to get a discounted price AND the chase card to pay with and get my rewards....I wanted it all!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I have the RV member card.. the one that is NOT a charge card. I use it to start the pumps in the truck isle then go inside and pay. While it is not as good of a discount as the new charge card it does allow me to use one of my rewards credit cards and it gives me the cash price plus another .03 per gal off and works well.
We're using the same card and have found that the "discounts" are not the same at all locations. The first place we stopped in Illinois didn't offer any cash discount, but could be used to redeem a $.99 cup of coffee, tea, or soft drink. The next ones in Tennessee and Georgia didn't give any discount or offer any other incentives. Just a "thanks for being a loyalty card member" printed on the reciept.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The original program allows one to receive a per gallon discount from PFJ and receive a discount from the method of payment being used. One can have it all.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We're using the same card and have found that the "discounts" are not the same at all locations. The first place we stopped in Illinois didn't offer any cash discount, but could be used to redeem a $.99 cup of coffee, tea, or soft drink. The next ones in Tennessee and Georgia didn't give any discount or offer any other incentives. Just a "thanks for being a loyalty card member" printed on the reciept.
There are non-company stores that do not follow the guidelines and some stores did not have their computers systems updated. However, everyone I have stopped at in the last few months, and used the card to pump start has given me the discounts.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I just received notice that my new card is on the way... I did the $1000 deal. Had to give my social security number but no bank info.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #14

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Yup, backed out of that app too. Jeezzz they don't get it do they. They really don't want employees, that make min. wage, handling cash anymore than they have to, especially the amount to fill a motorhome or large RV. This program is a joke if this is the best GS can do, I will reconsider that too. THIS NOT A GOOD SAM BENEFIT for what we pay dues for.
If one chooses to do this "scam", they should open an account at their bank for this and only this and manage the account via internet, transfering money as needed into the account from a main account. Many do this with debit cards for protection.

As to GARYKD's reply no it is "not sinister", however disclosure up front as to the terms of the card and the infomation that was requested before disclosure of terms, go figure...I will abstain from comment, resting assured that the comments here and the failure of this program will do the speaking for me and others. Nuf sayd!