Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
But Max, I pay at the RV pump with a credit card and the Real Value card, get a receipt and never have to go inside. That has got to be worth something right?
That doesn't work at every Flying J. The one off of I-95 in NC made me go inside.

I shut down 3 pumps with my RV card at the Carlisle Flying J last year. They had a power outage, and their pumps were a little squirrely.

The first one kept rebooting after I used my card.

The second one's card reader stopped reading cards.

The RV island pump kept rebooting. I had to go inside and have them activate the pump on the other side of the RV island.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I was using FJ even without the discount. It seems they were a little cheaper anyway.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #17

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I used to like the hook, but recently have had second thoughts. Seems that every one I go into, the gas pumps will not accept the RV card, the pump is messed up, you cannot read the screen and on and on. This means having to go into the store, stand in line etc., as stated above. Not to mention the friendly RV'er who fills up and goes into the store to have lunch while you wait in line to fill up. Is this worth a penny.
Recently had to ask people to move their RV's from no parking areas so I could exit the parking lot. On was parked in a fire lane with slides out. To many are taking advantage of a good thing and will ruin the hospitality.

Dumping is always nice and accessible. Propane is not accessible, many times have had to go around to get the right side to reach the hose.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #18

Also, if some are not aware of it, in some states you will pay more at the Big Truck pumps vice the RV/car lanes. Found this out the hard way at a non-J in Las Cruces NM. Paid 5¢ more a gal. Watch the price since this is a "tax" diff now for the big rigs & we (RV) dont need to pay it or try to get it back later. I knew AZ did it long ago and stopped using the big pumps because of this in AZ, but with the prices going out the roof, other states started/are doing it also.

Just a FYI (and my opinion which we know is worth abut 0.0000002.5¢)

Ben Stair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
I pump generally 100+ gallons at a time. Do I care about the one cent discount? Not a chance. Loves, Pilot, etc. don't give a damn about rv'ers. Their pumps are dirty. The ground is covered in spilled diesel. Have to bring in a credit card BEFORE pumping and return afterwords. Oh, by the way, how long have you waited behind a truck while he was filling only to finally pull up to the pump and find it has one of those rings on the end of the nozzle that will not allow you to insert it into your filler. Then you have to que up again. Fill up with water and dump tanks? Not a chance.

Even if the J does not give a discount I would still use them. I will go out of my way to use them.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #20
doc

Appalachian Campers
We used FlyingJ all the way here to SD. Even found a couple of new ones. They were as cheap as other stops in the area and I didn't have to go inside and leave a credit card or try to explain to the girl at the fuel desk we don't have a truck number. Just pull in, put in the FJ fueler card and credit card and start pumping. One cent is not much of a discount, but it is something. Conveniece and ease of use is worth a lot more and I got them both from the J. The only time we had a problem is when a guy from Colorado pulled in front of us at the RV fuel line in a Malibu and got out to walk his dog on the grass between the truck lot and the front lot.
Apparently he did not seem to realize a 40 foot coach and a towed needs a little more room than the Malibu to turn.
There are some pretty dirty stops around, but there are also a lot of clean, nice stops that are non-FJ. We will continue to use them until such time that some of the other guys offer the same convenieces and prices - then we can talk.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Doc,
Don't forget, one also gets the cash price, when using the RV Value card. The cash price is worth several cents per gallon.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Since the J went into chapter [whatever] the price has been 1-2 cent more than the others out here in the western USA, but they still are alot more RV friendly.
As for the discount it doesn't add up to much each time you fill up, but if you keep track of fuel it adds up over time.
Have never had to pay Credit Card price, have always recieved Cash price. The only time had to go inside was to get receipt because someone didn't put paper in the pump.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Hi read & learn,
You must be using the RV pumps. The truck pumps work differently. The cash price regardless of payment method has always been available at the RV pumps. Until recently, the cash price at the truck pumps depended on the payment method. Unless the J has begun to provided receipts at the truck pump, one has always had to go into the store to retrieve a receipt from the receipt carousel.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote