Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flying J, Love's or ??

Does anybody know of gas stations that caters to RV's in the states? We have tried using Flying J but the gas pumps are not convenient or easy for us to maneuver our motorhome. We have heard Love's maybe a better choice. Any suggestions??
Campcariboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Big truck islands.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campcariboo View Post
Does anybody know of gas stations that caters to RV's in the states? We have tried using Flying J but the gas pumps are not convenient or easy for us to maneuver our motorhome. We have heard Love's maybe a better choice. Any suggestions??
Hello and ..........

I only use "big truck" islands in truck stops, the entrances are large, big islands, and big parking lots.........never any problems using them, and the fuel turn-over in the underground tanks is a lot better than at the smaller islands........
Old 11-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used plenty of Flying J's and a few Pilot's, Love's and T/A. By in large most, but as you have seen not all , of Flying J's were the better of the lot. Every station has to be rated on its individual merit, not its national affiliation. We have used just as many independent stations that were as good or better than the chains. We, as time goes on, get better at spotting them from a distance. Time of day can be a big factor.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I use GasBuddy & Google earth to decide where I get fuel (gasoline).
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I also use Gasbuddy to find the area with the lowest prices in general and go there. Usually there are 2 or 3 stations competing. As we are approaching I decide which station is the easiest to get in and out of.

I hardly ever use Flying J's, Love's etc as they are usually not the cheapest. I will use Murphy and/or Sam's as they usually do have relatively accessible pumps.

Last trip I saved +20 cents/gallon by using Gasbuddy and doing the above.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #6

It just depends on where you are when you need to fuel up. Flying J/Pilot caters to RVs with an RV island. My experience is that some stations are far better than others and some are just really poor. If a large car decides to park in front of the store while you are in the RV island you may find yourself stuck for a while. When traveling up the I-5 there is a nice Flying J at highway 12, but across the street is a Sinclair, used to be 76 that is much easier for an RV to access and exit. Just a straight pull. Guess what I'm getting at is that when we start thinking about fuel we start looking for Truck stops. The brand is not important, and I don't compare price, as in any given town the price is usually within a few cents per gallon. I look for an easy to maneuver station. Years of experience has told me that I do not enter the station unless I can clearly see the exit. I'll drive around the block if I have to just to scope out the path. I have had to unhitch the toad a few times, and I don't want to repeat those experiences. I really don't like to let the gauge get below 1/4. I don't want to have to find a fuel station soon...I like to know I have enough fuel to run my generator for a few hours in case of an emergency. This also allows me to be picky when finding a fuel station. Out in the West Truck and RV fuel stops are sort of like geese, they gaggle up so you can take your choice. Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #7

When mention problems at FlyingJ or Pilot, are you using the RV lanes. We pull a 40' fifth wheel. Never had any problems in using the RV lanes. Like others I will also use the truck lanes if necessary. Just be sure to pull forward after fueling in the truck lanes if you are going inside to pay.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An app called mpilot is available, if you use them. It tells which pilot has a gas RV lane in addition to some other info. I am assuming you are not a diesel or you would not be asking the question.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never an issue with any Flying J except one. That large car parked right in front of us. Had to unhook the tow. Been lucky and even with our over sixty foot length most Rv lanes are pretty good.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As a Canadian traveling through the U.S.A., generally we stick to truck stops. We stay away from RV islands unless absolutely unavoidable. We've had too many bad experiences with RV islands.

Because we carry Canadian credit cards, as I get ready to run the fuel pump, my wife is at the cashier getting things set up. I fill the tank, my wife pays the bill, and we move on.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #11

Just use the truck lanes, plenty of room, seldom any waiting. If you get a Flying J Plus card you can easily pay at the pump (and be billed at the end of the month.) It's true that Flying J/Pilot/Loves are not always the cheapest but they're a lot less hassle if you are driving a big rig. But unfortunately many locations have gone to B20 biodiesel so you need to be aware whether that fuel is approved in your vehicle.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:19 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flying J is the only one that truly caters to RV's. and I agree, their pumps are set up for like a 25 foot rig max in many cases, I have been to several where getting out of the RV pump island was..... Not easy.

At some stations it is easier to use the car island, Just use the outside pumps (IE if there are 10 car pumps use #1 or #10) if you have a gasser, Some of them even Diesel is on those pump islands.

And as Smiller mentioned, Watch out for blended fuels, B-20 or in the case of gas E-10 Sadly it is getting hard (and expensive) to avoid Them now days. The Govermaurent thinks they are more "Efficient".. I am not at all convinced of that. Not by a long shot.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campcariboo View Post
Flying J is the only one that caters specifically to RVs since most stations have special RV lanes. I have found I can almost always maneuver our 37' MH and toad up to the auto pumps at most Love's, Pilot, T/A and at FJ when the RV lanes are busy. As others have suggested, I also use Gas Buddy and Google maps to plan fuel stops in advance.

Many diesel pusher owners use the truck lanes for fuel. Be aware if you do that, depending on the state and their fuel tax, and depending on whether or not you have a loyalty card from the station in question, you may end up paying a higher tax for diesel than at the auto lanes. You may also end up paying a higher price to use a credit card at the truck lanes.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Just use the truck lanes, plenty of room, seldom any waiting. If you get a Flying J Plus card you can easily pay at the pump (and be billed at the end of the month.) It's true that Flying J/Pilot/Loves are not always the cheapest but they're a lot less hassle if you are driving a big rig. But unfortunately many locations have gone to B20 biodiesel so you need to be aware whether that fuel is approved in your vehicle.
The OP has a gas MH. I haven't seen any Flying J/Pilot that has any gas pumps in the Truck lanes. Let us know of any that do that you have used.

They do in the RV Islands and in over 15 plus years with a MH pulling a toad. I have never been in any Flying J/Pilot RV Island that was difficult to get in and out of.

Truck lanes unlike many RV Islands, don't have pay at the pump and require a trip inside to pay. Sometimes a much longer walk through some spilled fluid on the ground.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote