Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

Flying J Loyalty Program

I had heard about the Flying J loyalty program so I stopped in and got a card a while back. I'm now wondering just how good a deal this is. In going through my pockets today, my receipt shows that I saved 3 cents per gallon yesterday. That turns into a total saving of $1.77 on a total sale of $238.24 !!! Am I missing something?

Your friendly Intraplanetary Traveler
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Isn't that 3 cents off the cash price? Not that I am saying it is a great deal it is just enough to get me to use the convenience of J/Pilot. Of course if I could find a really good deal AND fit into the station I would opt for that. Going down the interstate it is a roll of the dice as to rv friendly or not. J's/Pilots always seem to work and I will take the three cents a gallon instead of giving it.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
paz

If you do a search on iRV2 for Flying J, you will get hundreds - no, thousands - of posts on the subject. Some people swear by Flying J, some people swear at them. It's all a matter of personal preference.

The discount doesn't really matter much to me. I go to FJ because they have RV lanes. I have a gasser and can't use the truck lanes, but I can usually get through the RV lanes without getting blocked in. Even if the RV lanes are busy, FJ usually has enough space that I can get into the auto lanes if I have to. Many other gas stations are hit and miss as far as getting a 37' motorhome with toad up to the pumps.

Some people complain that even with the discount, FJ prices are higher than the competition now that Pilot has taken them over. Generally, I haven't found that to be the case, but I would gladly pay an extra 10 cents a gallon to know I can get in and out without getting stuck. An extra 10 cents a gallon amounts to $3.75 on a half-tank fillup - a small price to pay for the peace of mind of knowing I will not having to unhook the toad to back out of a tight situation.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
By doing the math.... had to remove shoe and socks to count that high...$1.77 / .03 = 59 gallons / $238.24 = $4.03 per gallon.

What was the cash price?
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Told the DW for this trip I am going to put in a jar what we save each time we fuel up at Flying j. Since Oct. we have saved $12.90 in fuel savings. Now by the time I get home some time in April it will be about $18.00. Thanks flying j for the lunch or pizza or 3 $5.00 Foot longs.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #6

We just converted from the old Flying J card to the new "RV Customer" Pilot/Flying J Courtesy card. The discounts are $.02 for gasoline and $.03 for diesel. There are a few other benefits like discounts on the dump station, points towards free showers, deli discounts, etc.

Like others the main reason we use the Fkying J's is convenience. They have dedicated RV lanes, high volume pumps, and higher limits when using a credit card. The top limit when using Visa is $495.00. It's a lot quicker and easier to fill up when you don't have to run your card through several times.

As for prices, they always seem to be competitive with everyone else in the area. If a person is so concerned about gas prices that 1 or 2 cents per gallon makes a diffeence on where they shop they probably shouldn't be driving a beast that gets 7 to 8 miles to the gallon
Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been from shore to shore this last month and Flying J/ Pilot, TA, Loves are at least 10 to 20 cents a gallon higher than can be found on Gas Buddy. Now I'm not a cheapskate and I am aware that 20 cents a gallon amounts to a max of $18 a tankful and if I dont have to drive to bum-- Egypt, I would rather keep that $18 in my Jeans thank you. I call it my reverse Frequent Fueler Rewards Program. These figures are based on the cash price. The OTHER places are priced the same for cash or credit. Also if you are using your Discover card, that gets you another 5% off and there are other cards out there that offer the same rebates. That equates to approx. another 20 cent off a gallon. Now we are up to $36 per tankful. That will buy alot of footlongs.
As a note, I have not had a problem getting in or out at these other places.
I normally fuel up at the end of the day when I am going to the RV Park so it really doesn't take me out of my way.
As Kite Man Ben said " A PENNY SAVED IS A PENNY EARNED ".
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Agree - the 2 or 3 cents a gallon is not a big deal - I wouldn't drive 5 miles out of my way to get it, cause the fuel costs more than the savings. But we do use PFJ most of the time, cause we get the cash price at the truck pumps with a credit card, plus the discount - that's 9-10 cents/gallon total. And the truck islands are big and convenient to use, with high speed pumps. Makes a difference on our 100+ gallon fill-ups.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote