Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #29

One Friday, my secretary asked what I was doing for the weekend.
Going to a family campground about 6 miles from the house, I told her.
Why so close, she asked? We dont feel like we have gotten away unless we travel at least 5 hours, she added.
Well, I said, this weekend it will take us longer to check in than it does to get there!
She looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Really, how far do you need to go to get out of the house?

But, that was just weekends. When we had 2 weeks, we traveled 1.5 days and explored. 3 weeks, 2 days travel. Ya cant see nuthin if ya dont go lookin. But if ya go to far yer lookin is dun too quick.

However, I do know some folks that have never left their home county.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tladouceur58 View Post
Or, they don't see the sense in wasting good money for a few hours of sleep when they are fully self-contained. We have paid good money for solar, extra batteries, etc., that I am not going to waste my hard earned money on a stay in an RV park with amenities I will not use in the 8 hours I need to sleep before starting on the road again in the morning. I save that money to spend on nice RV parks when I am stopping for a week or so or to spend seeing attractions around the country.
Could not agree with you more. To me paying for someplace to sleep when a free option is available is ridiculous.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Mr Nifty - X's 2

Off subject - how did you get a 6.7 PS in your '08? Replaced the 6.4?
paisleydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tladouceur58 View Post
Or, they don't see the sense in wasting good money for a few hours of sleep when they are fully self-contained. We have paid good money for solar, extra batteries, etc., that I am not going to waste my hard earned money on a stay in an RV park with amenities I will not use in the 8 hours I need to sleep before starting on the road again in the morning. I save that money to spend on nice RV parks when I am stopping for a week or so or to spend seeing attractions around the country.
Same for us!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #33

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
And I certainly don't want to be on the same road with someone who "had a few hours sleep". Feel free to take your own life, please don't take mine as you nod off.

Terrible to escape a war zone several times and be killed by a Bounder or Journey.

Talk about irony !

Kerry

You guys are too much!

First - it was a slap on the hands for sleeping in Wal-Mart

Second - we're too cheap to stay in campground

Third - we break the 250 miles per day driving rule

Fourth - we are going to kill all on the road as we nod off due to a few hours of sleep.

Just seems to be a difference of travel opinions between the retired folks and the people who are working to keep the retired folks Medicare funded...
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm4 View Post

Just seems to be a difference of travel opinions between the retired folks and the people who are working to keep the retired folks Medicare funded...
Thanks and, if you are still working, please don't stop
Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What gets to me is you get a free place to park and catch a few zzzzz's and you complain about it not be clean, safe, quiet, etc. If you are paying, you have the right to complain.

Ken
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #36

Let's say its cold and you pull into walmart. You run the generator all night so you can keep the block heater on and the electric blanket warm. Then you get up and go in the store to get a cup of coffee and a few things. Did you save any money versus parking at a campground?
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #37

If I traveled in a motorhome I might be more willing to stop in a parking lot overnight since it's so simple to climb back into the drivers seat and leave. But I travel with a 5vr and just don't want to deal with the hassle of moving the pets back and forth between the truck and trailer. My trailer has three slides and one of the main reasons I bought it was because I can have full access to all of the inside areas with the slides in just in case I need to stop and get some rest or eat. But I try to plan all trips for less than 400 miles on any day of driving, get on the road by 8 am and stop for the night before it gets dark. I also don't like stopping for just one night.

I guess I'm just paranoid, but I just couldn't sleep very well in a parking lot when I know I couldn't easily escape since I'd have to leave the trailer and make it to the truck. Never know when the "zombie apocalypse" is gonna start
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
What gets to me is you get a free place to park and catch a few zzzzz's and you complain about it not be clean, safe, quiet, etc. If you are paying, you have the right to complain.

Ken
It seems to me the only people complaining our those who don't take advantage of a free (in their minds) place to sleep. If & when we use a parking lot for our overnight rest, we do patronize the merchant and have even bought things that we did not necessarily need from that merchant due to the convience and to say thank you for their hospitality.

I agree with the previous poster who suggest a no frills no hookup area in a campground convenient to the interstate for $10-$15. I would use this type of CG more often for the security ect.

Do those of you that are in a cg really want me to pull into the space beside you at 11 PM ? Only to pull back out by 8 am? And if I am pulling in at 11 pm , I most likely did not start at 8 am that day, more likely 3-5 pm. We are still the working class people who must complete our day job prior to hitting the road for our next assignment.

I can really appreciate the people who have the time to stop at a cg for 2+ days after only driving 250 miles. I envy you for that and some day my DW & I will be in that same position, but for now its 500-600 miles a day if we can.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Seems that there are more and more people that are too cheap to pay for a place to camp.

Ken
Is it too cheap or getting by with what they have ?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #40

we stop in at wally world when traveling they are mostly vary willing to have you there. we spend our money with them and have for years...when we get to a place we want to spend a few days find a camp ground that suits our needs but i don't like to say at camp ground just to sleep and i like the fact that wall marts got dinner waiting for us
mike
Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
It's not about staying at Wal-Mart or any other place !! That's a self defense excuse.

It is about driving with "a few hours rest". Even the Feds require over-the-road drivers to get X amount of rest. You are, in a sense, an OTR driver.

And that Medicare thing, you are correct. We are grateful (We've only paid into it since the mid 1960's) with taxes. You are about to come under the law "Affordable Care Act". It was a good ride while it lasted.

Kerry
Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Inevitably bringing up parking lot boondocking in any manner is the makings for the never-ending-thread. In our limited, so far, experience we boondocked in a Walmart and Cracker Barrel. Both times it was not a bad experience particularly since we were located in well lit areas and in places we were already familiar with anyway. Does that make me too cheap? No, it makes me budget conscious. Ironically, some of the loudest anti-parking lot folks seem to be the ones that also say they save money by doing their own maintenance. Nothing wrong with that but just an observation.

One poster nicely addressed some of the reasons they use parking lots for short (I interpret to mean for the purpose of napping up to over night) because of the etiquette aspects of getting in late and getting out early. Our experience was that we could get in late, buy a few things on the road and get breakfast early.

Obviously, I wouldn't prefer to park in a busy truck stop or even a rest area with lots of traffic simply because of the noise. I also understand the security issues are different than in most CGs.

In the end, isn't it about personal choices and freedom?