Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Smile Self serve park

I wish more cities had an arrangement like the place my brother lives. In Balinger Texas South of Abilene, North of San Angelo there is a city park right on a pretty dammed up creek, lots of big oak trees, with 30 or 50 amp power and water at each space. Covered picnic tables at each space too. All on the honor system. There is a metal box with envelopes and instructions. Just put $10 for each night you're there in an envelope and drop it in the slot. We've stayed there for several nights in a row during deer season and never even had anybody come check us out.
There is also a CG right off of I-40 just West of Amarillo (sorry don't remember the name)with full hook ups etc, very nice and they have the same type of drop slot. If you get there after they close the office, just find an empty spot that suites you and if you leave before they open put $35 in an envelope and drop it in the slot. We've stopped after dark there coming back from Colorado a few times.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We saw each day of a trip as vacation. We enjoyed each day. We did not have vacation visions too far away.
On weekends, it took longer to check in than it did to get there.
If it was a week or more, we made the journey the destination.
For us, a good campfire was a terrible thing to waste.
Maybe think...closer?
Less miles. Less pressure. More fun.
Works for us!
Just sayin....
Honestly, it sounds pretty boring to me to go to the same places over and over and over. I like Pismo Beach, for example, but if that was the only place I went I'd buy a vacation home and not deal with the maintenance an RV entails

Steve

Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #59

800 miles a day!! I think you will be driving your RV for at least 15 or more hours a day. Good Luck, If it was me I would fly out, rent a car and see the sites. 800 miles a day doesn't sound like fun to me. But to each his/her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
WOW!!!! My kind of RVer!! Seriously, I'm getting together a trip out to Yellowstone this summer, and our group will travel around 800 miles a day (staying at either Wally World or Flying J's at nights) to get there. Once there we will stay at camp grounds in the area before setting out for SD (Mt Rushmore). This trip will last for 21 days and a bunch of miles. Out of the 21 days I think we will be using Wally World, Cabela's, or Flying J's for about 5 nights...

The night at Cabela's is the night I most fear..My favorite store in the world..Oh Mastercard/Visa, forgive me for what I'm about to do..

This trip starts 18 July 2013, and if anybody wants to join in feel free to contact me.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
X2 on the no frills park that is handy and I don't know why we don't see it more.

The Omaha area is terrible for full hook up camps (closest appears to be 40 miles away in Nebraska City) except for a $15 a night park at I29 and Glenwood exit (Iowa 34 I think). It has a washroom and a playground. Sites are gravel and there are picnic tables. A small price to get off the road and have a full hook up.

Guess it must be the price of real estate... gouging that has a park on the west side of Amarillo (I just passed those parks a couple of days ago and they look just like this park). Plenty of road noise and $35/night.

JMHO, but when you look at your park guides and see those prices for what you get for one night, no wonder people pull into rest areas, Wallyworld, and Flying Js.

As far as set up and tear down, takes no more than 30 minutes. Let's see more overnight, reasonable cost, no frills, parks (that are not filled with long term local workers).
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

Honestly, it sounds pretty boring to me to go to the same places over and over and over. I like Pismo Beach, for example, but if that was the only place I went I'd buy a vacation home and not deal with the maintenance an RV entails

Steve
When we were limited to weekends, long ago, we had a choice of about 10 campgrounds within 10 minutes of home, over 75 more within an hour. The grandkids were frequent guest, so we went to ones they liked best.

If more than a weekend, it was never ever the same place, always new things to see and do, and not more than 1 day of travel away.

It was grand to search for adventure....and always find it!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
[QUOTE=TEFFY;1517413]We like boondocking at wally world, flying J, church parking lots, city hall, just down the street from the fire house, museum parking lots, and BLM. These are usually "one night stands". When we are going to a museum we quite often get in late in the afternoon (4-5:00 PM) and just bed down for the evening and are ready to go to the museum the next morning after breakfast.

We can run the furnace all night on the house batteries, if it's cold. If it is warm with the windows open and the fan running, then we turn on the gen and do the AC thing. It usually cost us anywhere from 5 - 7 lbs of propane to run the gen all night.

About the miles per day, when I owned a bus company 500 - 700 miles per day was normal. Now I am RETIRED. I think 150 - 200 miles is a lot. We make no reservations unless our destination is a nice, well attended event, like Balloon Fiesta in Alb or Wurstfest in New Braunfells.

TO cb5300: Be sure and go see the "Chief Crazy Horse" monument as it is a work in progress. And give the ladies 3/4 of a day at Wall Drug in Wall SD. Another good attraction is the Mitchel Corn Palace in Mitchel, SD.[/QUOTE]

This will be our 4th time out that way, and giving Martha and the other ladies to much time at Wall Drugs would not be good.. That would mean less $$ for me at Cabela's ...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm4 View Post
You outlaw and danger to society! :-)

Sounds like a great trip - wish I could take off work that long.
You got that right Skippy!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
800 miles a day!! I think you will be driving your RV for at least 15 or more hours a day. Good Luck, If it was me I would fly out, rent a car and see the sites. 800 miles a day doesn't sound like fun to me. But to each his/her own.
Not a big deal...This isn't the first time we have made a trip like this...We plan on leaving around 6 PM on 18 July, when everybody has gotten off work, we have the trip broken down in to "legs" so we know where we need to be at the end of each day...example...leave Roanoke Thursday night, stop in Charleston, WVA...Leave Charleston the next morning stop in Kanas City that night, next night stop in Cheyenne, WY, then on to Victor, ID with arrival on 21 July.

The Monaco Signature drives easy enough so it really isn't that big of a deal, just get that big 'ol Cummins 600 up and running, set the cruise at 70, turn up the tunes and "git'er done"....