Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Simple for me.......4 PM I'm a camper, 11.30 Pm I'm a Walmarter, not cheap at all, just convience.
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
And maybe Ken , they might not have as much money as you

Palehorse, I did not buy an RV that I could not afford to support and use.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Seems that there are more and more people that are too cheap to pay for a place to camp.

Ken
To late Lori, I think he's already there.

We are all the same in Gods eye's, Happy Easter
Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Palehorse, I did not buy an RV that I could not afford to support and use.

Ken
No need for a free over night then for you.......spend away.....
Old 03-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
X2 !! Bravo! Well said.......
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Lunge....Parry...

"Arrêt"!

Thank you.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
If we are taking our time and we stop early then yes it's a campground for us. If we are putting as many miles as possible into each day then it will be the welcome center for whatever state, rest area, truck stop or a large shopping center.
It's not a case of money it's a case of time driving. We try not to be inconsiderate to those in parks/campgrounds by driving in at 11pm or midnight to only pull back out after about 6 or 8 hrs sleep.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefn View Post
Simple for me.......4 PM I'm a camper, 11.30 Pm I'm a Walmarter, not cheap at all, just convience.

Well said. In our case, our kids were on spring break and we chose to maximize our time at Disney & Fort Wilderness.

After spending a week in a premium Disney site and tickets, etc. for five people I am certain we could afford to spend a night in a campground along the road.

Some may be retired or practicing for retirement, but at age 37 I'm living life!
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #23

First I am retired so I have time! I drove from Florida to Alaska and back and never once spent the night for free. I made a rule when I travel with the 5th wheel and that is to spend 2 nights at every campground. I try to stop no later than 3 in the afternoon and just plain relax. The next day is for visiting the surrounding area. We can always find something to do and enjoy. I just will not get myself in a hurry to be somewhere where I have to drive into the night. Also 250 miles a day is my limit, many days are a lot less as we are always looking for a place to visit and have fun. We are Good Tourists!!

Life is Good!!
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Seems that there are more and more people that are too cheap to pay for a place to camp.

Ken
I don't mind at all paying to "CAMP" but stopping for a few hours of sleep is not what I call camping.
easlingn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
And I certainly don't want to be on the same road with someone who "had a few hours sleep". Feel free to take your own life, please don't take mine as you nod off.

Terrible to escape a war zone several times and be killed by a Bounder or Journey.

Talk about irony !

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't help but think someone could make a killing by opening no frills overnight stops for RVs, charging maybe $10. These would be located in areas ~500 miles or so from major cities, on the way to destination areas, such as Florida. One example that comes to mind would be Nashville, about 500 miles from Chicago, on the way to Florida. Or Omaha, about 500 miles from Chicago, on the way to Colorado and points west.
No amenities, maybe electric and water, and dump station. Strictly a place to get off the road and sleep safely.
Hmmmmm...........
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
First I am retired so I have time! I drove from Florida to Alaska and back and never once spent the night for free. I made a rule when I travel with the 5th wheel and that is to spend 2 nights at every campground. I try to stop no later than 3 in the afternoon and just plain relax. The next day is for visiting the surrounding area. We can always find something to do and enjoy. I just will not get myself in a hurry to be somewhere where I have to drive into the night. Also 250 miles a day is my limit, many days are a lot less as we are always looking for a place to visit and have fun. We are Good Tourists!!

Life is Good!!
Love your attitude. We just bought our MH and on the very first drive we decided on a rule...never to rush when we are in the motorhome. If it is too far for us to drive to and get in during mid afternoon...we will either plan a stop in between or wait and leave early morning. We are still working and call this our pre-retirement. I understand some folks need to do the long drive in one day and if necssary stop at WalMart. It's just not the way I want to RV. But that's our choice and I think it is great that J's an Walmarts and whatever else is available are there. And I say all that only to be honest enough to also say "and mabe I'll meet you in a Walmart parking lot someday". I hope not to...but from the people I've seen post on irv2 I'd be pleased to meet you. It's all a matter of choice I guess.

Robin
RobinfromCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
And maybe Ken , they might not have as much money as you
Or, they don't see the sense in wasting good money for a few hours of sleep when they are fully self-contained. We have paid good money for solar, extra batteries, etc., that I am not going to waste my hard earned money on a stay in an RV park with amenities I will not use in the 8 hours I need to sleep before starting on the road again in the morning. I save that money to spend on nice RV parks when I am stopping for a week or so or to spend seeing attractions around the country.