Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #43

I agree, SKY_BOSS. It could be a movie: The Never Ending Thread.

Many posts are simply about druthers.
I druther not. Some druther to.

I am a bit jealous of those that can sleep in such conditions. One engine starting, one tooting horn, etc is all it takes to desolve my REM sleep.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #44

I love how everyone thinks fellow RVers should do what they personally do, because thats the law of the land right? I drive 800 plus mile days almost every time I take the RV out, stop at walmart for some sleep ( thats not camping ) and continue my journey at 70 MPH. I think I have been in a campground twice in 2 years...
Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
I love how everyone thinks fellow RVers should do what they personally do, because thats the law of the land right? I drive 800 plus mile days almost every time I take the RV out, stop at walmart for some sleep ( thats not camping ) and continue my journey at 70 MPH. I think I have been in a campground twice in 2 years...
WOW!!!! My kind of RVer!! Seriously, I'm getting together a trip out to Yellowstone this summer, and our group will travel around 800 miles a day (staying at either Wally World or Flying J's at nights) to get there. Once there we will stay at camp grounds in the area before setting out for SD (Mt Rushmore). This trip will last for 21 days and a bunch of miles. Out of the 21 days I think we will be using Wally World, Cabela's, or Flying J's for about 5 nights...

The night at Cabela's is the night I most fear..My favorite store in the world..Oh Mastercard/Visa, forgive me for what I'm about to do..

This trip starts 18 July 2013, and if anybody wants to join in feel free to contact me.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Let's say its cold and you pull into walmart. You run the generator all night so you can keep the block heater on and the electric blanket warm. Then you get up and go in the store to get a cup of coffee and a few things. Did you save any money versus parking at a campground?
Seems kinda foolish to run the genny all night... not to mention plain rude.
Even in freezing temps my rig doesn't get below 55 degrees... which is livable under a blanket.
If you wanted a time calculation... staying at a walmart when you need sundry items is about the best way to get the most value for your dollar.
If I have to pull into a camp ground and do the 15 min checkin thing... plus all the setup & break camp chores... its obvious your time isnt worth much to you.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #47

My propane furnace runs on the house batteries. If I need to run the gen all night to keep the AC on, so be it. Isnt that what it was made for? I can honestly say that I never worried about being rude in a walmart parking lot. Thats almost like worrying if you are under dresses to enter a walmart.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
We like boondocking at wally world, flying J, church parking lots, city hall, just down the street from the fire house, museum parking lots, and BLM. These are usually "one night stands". When we are going to a museum we quite often get in late in the afternoon (4-5:00 PM) and just bed down for the evening and are ready to go to the museum the next morning after breakfast.

We can run the furnace all night on the house batteries, if it's cold. If it is warm with the windows open and the fan running, then we turn on the gen and do the AC thing. It usually cost us anywhere from 5 - 7 lbs of propane to run the gen all night.

About the miles per day, when I owned a bus company 500 - 700 miles per day was normal. Now I am RETIRED. I think 150 - 200 miles is a lot. We make no reservations unless our destination is a nice, well attended event, like Balloon Fiesta in Alb or Wurstfest in New Braunfells.

Quote:
...Once there we will stay at camp grounds in the area before setting out for SD (Mt Rushmore)....
TO cb5300: Be sure and go see the "Chief Crazy Horse" monument as it is a work in progress. And give the ladies 3/4 of a day at Wall Drug in Wall SD. Another good attraction is the Mitchel Corn Palace in Mitchel, SD.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
First I am retired so I have time! I drove from Florida to Alaska and back and never once spent the night for free. I made a rule when I travel with the 5th wheel and that is to spend 2 nights at every campground. I try to stop no later than 3 in the afternoon and just plain relax. The next day is for visiting the surrounding area. We can always find something to do and enjoy. I just will not get myself in a hurry to be somewhere where I have to drive into the night. Also 250 miles a day is my limit, many days are a lot less as we are always looking for a place to visit and have fun. We are Good Tourists!!

Life is Good!!
I like your outlook on life!
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I can't help but think someone could make a killing by opening no frills overnight stops for RVs, charging maybe $10. These would be located in areas ~500 miles or so from major cities, on the way to destination areas, such as Florida. One example that comes to mind would be Nashville, about 500 miles from Chicago, on the way to Florida. Or Omaha, about 500 miles from Chicago, on the way to Colorado and points west.
No amenities, maybe electric and water, and dump station. Strictly a place to get off the road and sleep safely.
Hmmmmm...........
I think your on to something..... Well lit, security cameras on a 24/48 hr loop, no frills, easy in and out, dump station if needed. 12.00-15.00 a night. Bet you could make a killing!!!!
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quite amusing and fun to read all these little sticks and stabs @ each others traits while traveling. To me, that's the fun part, the chase getting there whether it be in WallyWorld, or any good safe parking area. It's feels so good to wake up in the morning with coffee so handy, walk the pup's and look @ what other people are doing, running like hell to get to work. Enjoy it folk's, it only comes to us because we have EARNED IT, respect each other and their way of life they chose. JMHO, travel safe wherever you are and enjoy your tavels.
david g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
En route, we are often the same way. We often need to get 1200 miles or more to our destination, and tossing in an extra day each way means 2 less days we get to spend on vacation.

If I were retired, sure, I'd only spend a few hours each day on the road. But I'm not, and for me a 9 day trip is a luxury. If I only cover 400 miles a day, basically, I spend 3 days getting there, 3 days on vacation, then 3 days back. Not so much fun.

Steve
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

En route, we are often the same way. We often need to get 1200 miles or more to our destination, and tossing in an extra day each way means 2 less days we get to spend on vacation.

If I were retired, sure, I'd only spend a few hours each day on the road. But I'm not, and for me a 9 day trip is a luxury. If I only cover 400 miles a day, basically, I spend 3 days getting there, 3 days on vacation, then 3 days back. Not so much fun.

Steve
We saw each day of a trip as vacation. We enjoyed each day. We did not have vacation visions too far away.
On weekends, it took longer to check in than it did to get there.
If it was a week or more, we made the journey the destination.
For us, a good campfire was a terrible thing to waste.
Maybe think...closer?
Less miles. Less pressure. More fun.
Works for us!
Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
To me RVING is like sailing - the journey is as much fun as the destination. If I wanted to get there in a hurry, I'd have bought a power boat and not a sailboat. Now if I want to get somewhere in a hurry, I fly and rent a car.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #55

This all boils down to different strokes for different folks, and whatever works for each person at each phase in thier life is the way to go. Back in the day, when I was time constrained and had to live within a more restricted budget, I did things different than I do today. I often drove many more hours a day than I would even think of now, but often we would vacation at spots very close to our home where we could swim, fish, canoe and sit by the campfire with the kids roasting marshmellows with my guitar struming and singing away the evenings. (had TT's when the kids were around)

With growing kids, college funds, mortgage to pay, investing for retirement, etc, made me chose different options than I do today.

Today we are seldom constraied by time and don't concern ourselves about cost or what we spend (within reason of course) and we stay wherever it is convenient for us at the time. If this is a Wally or FJ lot so be it, but I prefer a really scenic view and boondocking in a very remote area when we can, and we select our route that lets us see back country just so we can see more than interstate exits. Do this more now sinced we downsized from our 40ft DP's to a B+, so the size of our rig is another factor on how we use our RV. 10ft clearance is all I need now so it does make a difference from when I needed 13ft. Don't even carry a tree trimmer or chain saw now. Carried and used both for years.

So if Wally World, FJ etc works for you, then go for it, I use them sometimes for convenience and while I am mindful about being a good neighbor, I run my gen whenever I need it at these places but I like parking in spots that seperates me a bit from my overnight neighbors so I am not bothered by thier gen and they are not bothered by mine. There is no expetation of privacy at a FJ or WW etc and it is easy to move on if you don't like your neighbor.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway but different strokes for different folks works for me.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #56

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post

WOW!!!! My kind of RVer!! Seriously, I'm getting together a trip out to Yellowstone this summer, and our group will travel around 800 miles a day (staying at either Wally World or Flying J's at nights) to get there. Once there we will stay at camp grounds in the area before setting out for SD (Mt Rushmore). This trip will last for 21 days and a bunch of miles. Out of the 21 days I think we will be using Wally World, Cabela's, or Flying J's for about 5 nights...

The night at Cabela's is the night I most fear..My favorite store in the world..Oh Mastercard/Visa, forgive me for what I'm about to do..

This trip starts 18 July 2013, and if anybody wants to join in feel free to contact me.
You outlaw and danger to society! :-)

Sounds like a great trip - wish I could take off work that long.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote