Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-31-2015, 02:40 PM   #15

Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I've never seen anything "across the street" that's 49 cents difference...if there was, I'd use it.

A quick look at gasbuddy for places I use shows, for example:

Weed, CA -- PFJ is cheapest
Cheyenne, WY -- within 3 cents in the region
Evanston, WY -- cheapest
Fernley, NV -- cheapest
Lost Hills, CA -- within 4 cents

And those are the only locations I searched (in other words, I didn't cherry pick them out of 30 results or anything)

Obviously, there are likely other examples both ways. But to simply go on and on that they are always vastly overpriced is completely and utterly false.

I know there are folks with an axe to grind against PFJ that jump into every thread with a "you are just wasting money but that's your right if you want to" ... but can we just keep threads about PFJ on topic about PFJ?

and no, other than a being a customer, I have zero attachment to PFJ (no stock, employment, etc.).

Something we've noticed in all our travels, Flying J tends to be equal in the west. Past I25.

Why I don't know, but it is. At home in Rapid City South Dakota we have a Flying J on one side of town and a Pilot on the other, both have the same pump price. If I drive a little bit west to exit 46, I save .30-.50 per gallon.

It seems to stay this way all the way to the east coast. However, if I'm heading west I find it's totally different.

I fill where I find the mix of savings and convenience. Sometimes it's at Pilot/Flying J, sometimes it's not.

2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've not received anything from Pilot/Flying J saying my card will expire. We've used it as recently as mid April. Yes, fuel can be more expensive at some locations than competitors 20 - 30 miles away. If there were a 49 cent difference, I'd put up with the hassle of making two trips into the store to start the pump and pay for the fuel.

I really like the convenience of easy access to the truck lanes and the ability to swipe, start and pay at the pump that the Pilot/Flying J card provides. I only wish some of the competition would jump in and offer something comparable. What's up Loves? How about it TA?

Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #17

pilot/flyiing j

Returned from a 4 month trip. Usually try to find P/FJ as I like the truck lanes (40' plus tow = 60'). Stopped somewhere and went inside and gave both the P/FJ RV PLUS card and my Good Sam card. Was told that the P/FJ card gave 7 cents discount, and only one needed. Only use the one P/GJ RV PLUS charge card (with the Good Sam Club insignia) now for fuel at P/FJ. Was confused, but now straightened out!!!
Tom, Jan withn Papillons, Chance N Candy
'13 (60th annaversary) AMBASSADOR 40' DFT
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Yup the old cards no longer work. You have to join Good Sam and use there card. Right, I have to join something to get a discount. I wouldn't even recover the cost of the membership for the amount we drive a year. I'll still go to FJ for the convenience of in and out and I don't mind the little extra for the gas. I surely don't see where some say you can save all this money at other stations. I haven't run across any rip-off situations at the FJ. What, they're a couple cents more??? So what. They give you a place to stay for the night if you want. "FREE". They have the convenience of a store for supplies if you need them and Denny's restaurants if your hungry. I just can't see driving more miles off the freeway to save a few cents. Sorry! I didn't purchase this coach to economize my travels. I bought it to enjoy the road and the convenience it provides. JMHO
Like I said before my old card still works and the pump start feature still worked on May 29 2015 and that was at a company station. Guess you will have to try your card and see if yours still works before you throw it away.
2006 Discovery 39L-2008 Honda CRV
Bud, Sharon, Cody (Grandson) Sophie, Attack Trained Cockapoo
budwilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #19
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Some folks have not seen the new, bigger stations. Many across the street from a P/FJ. Always cheaper, as much as 49 cents.
We have a 42 + toad. Easy-peasy, convenient and no need to back up. Give it a try!
You know what an P/FJ looks like. Some like them for the "convenience", no matter the price. They may track MPG, but I guess it stops at the pumps.
Truck fleets get rebates or discount contracts. We don't.
Attachment 95706

Nice parking!
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad to hear the old RV "Real Value" cards are still working, at least most places. It was over a year ago the PFJ told me they would stop honoring them in early 2015, but they were pushing the new RV Plus card then as well. Perhaps the response wasn't as good as they expected on the new card. Can't say I'm real excited with it either, but it's convenient so I use it.

A couple days ago on our way into a PFJ near Gafney, SC, i saw a big QT station with separate truck lanes out back. Plenty of room and high speed pumps for big rigs. They were advertising diesel at $2.499, cash or credit, while the PFJ 100 yards away was $2.799 cash only. Would have been $2.709 with my RV card, but I pulled into the QT and still saved $0.21/gal x 100 gals. The only hassle was having to run my Visa card 3 times to pump $100 gals ($100 limit per transaction). Could have gone inside and avoided that too, but pay at the pump is too easy!

Took the wife out for lunch with the savings, so it was a double win!
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #21

Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Nice parking!

Easy parking!

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote