Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Flying J Real Value Member

I have an old Flying J card that can no longer be read at the pump which necessitates that I go inside in order to activate the rewards on my purchase.

I just went online to order a new card and all that seems available is their Good Sam credit card which I don't want. Am I missing something or have they eliminated the card that I now carry.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pilot bought them and it went to hell. I now fuel other places.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #3

Yes, PFJ still has the rewards card.
You might read through this old thread that was started by a Pilot/ Flying J representative. It explains how and why the myrewards program evolved.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's a combo card with Pilot now.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
paz

My understanding was the old RV rewards cards were no longer good. Good Sam members are supposed to be able to swipe their membership cards instead. From the Good Sam website:
"Members save 3 instantly on gas and diesel at Pilot and Flying J Travel Centers using the Good Sam Club Swipe & Save membership card. No codes to enter at the pump! Pay with your preferred form of payment."
I was at one FJ station recently, and the pump would not read my Good Sam card, so I swiped my old rewards card and got the discount.

At another FJ station a few days later, the pump would not read either the old rewards card or the Good Sam card. When I went inside, I was told the old rewards card wasn't good any longer (even though a pump at a different station read it a few days prior) and the attendant swiped my Good Sam card inside.

It looks like there is no uniform policy.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

One can lament all they like about the old Flying J, but that's water long since over the dam.

There are two Good Sam discount programs at Pilot/FJ. One is a revolving Charge card called RV Plus and fuel purchases are billed direct to your bank account monthly. The other is called Swipe & Save and uses the standard Good Sam membership card as the discount authorization. RV Plus can be swipoed at car or truck pumps and will start the pump. I'm told the Swipe and Save only starts the auto gas/diesel pumps, so you have to go inside and see the cashier if you want to use the truck isalnds. I have the RV Plus, so don't know the details on the other.

I was told that my old FJ RV Rewards card would not longer be accepted after March, 2015. It did work in 2014, but that's old news now. Maybe a few places still accept it. Pilot/FJ stopped issuing the old RV Rewards Card back in 12/1/2013, so it's not an option for new customers.

There are franchise Pilot/FJ locations that have their own rules and can accept or reject any card.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #7

Some folks have not seen the new, bigger stations. Many across the street from a P/FJ. Always cheaper, as much as 49 cents.
We have a 42 + toad. Easy-peasy, convenient and no need to back up. Give it a try!
You know what an P/FJ looks like. Some like them for the "convenience", no matter the price. They may track MPG, but I guess it stops at the pumps.
Truck fleets get rebates or discount contracts. We don't.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433029085.204768.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	95706

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad to see the FJ/ Pilot high binders go by the wayside. Even with all of their "deals" they were still overpriced. Use GAS BUDDY and save!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The old RV Plus card still works and with pump start, if you had it. I used it it in March, April and May at company stations in Va, SC, and Ohio. They won't issue a new one but you can still use the old one if you still have it.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup the old cards no longer work. You have to join Good Sam and use there card. Right, I have to join something to get a discount. I wouldn't even recover the cost of the membership for the amount we drive a year. I'll still go to FJ for the convenience of in and out and I don't mind the little extra for the gas. I surely don't see where some say you can save all this money at other stations. I haven't run across any rip-off situations at the FJ. What, they're a couple cents more??? So what. They give you a place to stay for the night if you want. "FREE". They have the convenience of a store for supplies if you need them and Denny's restaurants if your hungry. I just can't see driving more miles off the freeway to save a few cents. Sorry! I didn't purchase this coach to economize my travels. I bought it to enjoy the road and the convenience it provides. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #11

A "little extra" was $49 per 100 gallons recently.
I understand that those uncomfortable with maneuvering their rigs may opt for convenience. Peace!
We eat at home in the RV. The expense of a restaurant is an just add-on to the convenience of a pull-thru pump for many, I guess.
If you add it all up, I stay at a FHU site without truck rumble, and spend less on fuel, while others pay the diff in their own ways of pleasure.
Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
"One is a revolving Charge card called RV Plus and fuel purchases are billed direct to your bank account monthly."

This is the card I have and it is not deducted from my checking account. I am emailed a statement and then I pay.

I also use the Pacific Pride network as a backup. A lot of times they are a lot cheaper than FJ.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #13

I've never seen anything "across the street" that's 49 cents difference...if there was, I'd use it.

A quick look at gasbuddy for places I use shows, for example:

Weed, CA -- PFJ is cheapest
Cheyenne, WY -- within 3 cents in the region
Evanston, WY -- cheapest
Fernley, NV -- cheapest
Lost Hills, CA -- within 4 cents

And those are the only locations I searched (in other words, I didn't cherry pick them out of 30 results or anything)

Obviously, there are likely other examples both ways. But to simply go on and on that they are always vastly overpriced is completely and utterly false.

I know there are folks with an axe to grind against PFJ that jump into every thread with a "you are just wasting money but that's your right if you want to" ... but can we just keep threads about PFJ on topic about PFJ?

and no, other than a being a customer, I have zero attachment to PFJ (no stock, employment, etc.).

Steve
Old 05-31-2015, 08:57 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"One is a revolving Charge card called RV Plus and fuel purchases are billed direct to your bank account monthly."

This is the card I have and it is not deducted from my checking account. I am emailed a statement and then I pay.
I should have explained further. There are two payment options on the RV Plus account. You get a higher credit line with the auto-deduct option and a lower one with the "pay the invoice" option. Take your pick of whichever works for you.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote