Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The fuel station "pre-authorizes" your credit card for a certain amount when you swipe it, so it is they who set the $75 (or whatever) amount, not the CC company. $75 is reasonable for the gas pumps, but not on the RV diesel pumps, but it's one size fits all.

The FJ stations near Tampa were extremely high priced yesterday - $3.239 and $3.259 (cash price), so I declined to buy fuel there. Filled up outside of Ocala at a Chevron station for $3.119 instead. Saved $10.
Gary I asked about the $ limit on credit cards at the pump a few times. All replies were the same, we do not set any card limit, our card processing company (CC billing clearance house if you will) does. The reason, the processing company get paid for each transaction regardless of amount, thus the $75 limit which requires us to initiate an new transaction. I wrote Discover Card about $ limits and their reply was that they do not set a $ limit on a transaction, still have the letter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #58

I have done work in the CC industry, and I can tell you that the limits are set by the vendors, not by the credit card companies.

The reason they are set fairly low (although high enough for automotive transactions) is that the #1 use of stolen credit cards is at gas stations -- because it is an easy, no ID transaction that provides a 1:1 value to the thief (i.e., it's gas you can burn directly for value, as compared to having to fence a $2,500 TV for $250).

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

The CC company probably has rules that require pre-authorization in order to be guaranteed payment. The specific rules vary from bank to bank and card to card, but the choice of pre-authorize or not, and the amount, is up to the vendor. They could pre-auth $150 as easily as $75, but the folks buying $25 worth of gas for the car might be upset, because the pre-auth amount may stay on the card until the end of the business day in some cases. Few stations bother to pre-auth differently for the diesel pumps, or even the truck pumps, but they could do that if they were really interested in helping the customer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #60
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Gas discount is only good for 2 cents off per gallon of gasoline (available only at travel centers with RV lanes) if you got 5 cents they made a mistake. Or are you counting the cash price as a discount? Did the Pilot have RV lanes?

And when you got to the second stop, you may have used up your maximum 100 gallons of gasoline per month.

Diesel is allowed 300 gal a month at 3 cents off per gallon of diesel (initially, only available in RV lanes)

Sorry for the late reply I've been running back and forth with no internet, I did not get the discount or even try to get it.

I'm from an area where "pre pay" is not done and after traveling the last few weeks I see that it is more the normal procedure than not. The reason I did not get it in the case mentioned was my fault I guessed at the $160. amount and when it shut off I was close enough to full that it was not worth the time and effort to get more gas or see if I could have gotten the discount had I tried.

I'm new enough to RV's that this post was the first I knew of this discount program.

There is no RV Island at this particular Pilot and and neither of another two I stopped at in the past few weeks, they were just conveniently located when I needed gas.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JohnRR,
The RV lanes are at the old Flying J locations. There are no RV lanes at Pilot truck stops.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #62

Using Flying J Value Card

A couple of things I learned when using a Flying J card. I recently filled up and because of the $75 limit, I had to use the value card 3 times. It wasn't until I checked later that the .03 cent discount was applied only to the first transaction. The other receipts had no discount.

I think everyone already knows this, but you now have to swipe your credit card first and then the Value Card. The reverse of "pre-Pilot" days.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #63
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post

I think everyone already knows this, but you now have to swipe your credit card first and then the Value Card. The reverse of "pre-Pilot" days.
I'll try that next time. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #64

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I'm beginning to think the folks in the trenches at FJ couldn't find their collective arses if they had the use of both hands, a map, and a compass.

Example in Gulfport, MS, where it took 45 minutes to buy 28 gallons of diesel fuel for my Ford F-250 towing my fiver. I asked about the new RV card, the staff there told me the old card works.

Next to Houston, TX. Fill up was fast, but was told no discount because the FJ RV card is no longer valid. I was issued a new Frequent Fueler card. The Denny's was a nice surprise, food was much better than the old Country Market Restaurants which started to go downhill years ago.

Gulfport's facility was filthy. Houston's facility was just finishing up the remodel. In both cases they were no longer the cheapest diesel on the highway.

One thing I will miss is the fresh sandwiches that used to be available at the cash desk, they're now a thing of the past, the stuff they sell now is no longer made on premises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No need to worry about FJ credit cards and discount cards. They have raised their prices to the extent that they are no longer a viable fuel source. Up to thirty cents higher than the independents for diesel. Adios FJ
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #66

I quit using FJ when they became Pilot. They used to have cheap prices not now. And have become RV unfriendly.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #67
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did try the card swipe for pre pay at the pump instead of carrying the card in like I did a few weeks ago and it did prompt me to swipe the second card and it worked like you'd think it would but of course I still did not get the big discont, I must have blew the cap the first time I used it.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #68

Don't know if there are any rv friendly fuel stations anymore...We use the Exit Guide...Anything big rig friendly is in red....I'll mark in the guide if was a good stop or not with notes...Helps a bit...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I did try the card swipe for pre pay at the pump instead of carrying the card in like I did a few weeks ago and it did prompt me to swipe the second card and it worked like you'd think it would but of course I still did not get the big discont, I must have blew the cap the first time I used it.
100 gal a month for Gas & 300 gal for Diesel

The gas MH I use to have would only let me go 600 miles with that limit. Or only 2 days worth.
My DP lets me go 3,000 miles. Or 10 days worth.

But I have never drove 3,000 miles within any month.
In the over 30 plus years I have owned a RV.

I may drive 4 days in a row, then rest for 7, drive 1 rest 10-11, drive 1 rest 30 etc
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #70
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I stopped in the TA on I75 at Bridgeport MI earlier tonight and it's the same old truck stop it was 25 years ago, I deceided to go up the road to the Flying J and much to my surprise they did have RV parking separate from truck parking as well as internet access ($4.95 for 24 hours worth).

Once I head north for the UP out of Saginaw there won't be too many places offering much of anything.

After multiple days of below 30 temps I was next to empty on LPG this morning in Erie Pa. and the new RV place did not have a hose to fill a MH so I ended up at a FJ on I90 for LPG so they have worked out good for me today.