Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I avoid Flying J/Pilot stations when possible. I am not impressed with the cost of gasoline or the convenience offered by most of the locations I have used. I have no experience in fueling diesel powered motorhomes at these locations. YMMV...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBama View Post
Even with the discount Flying J / Pilot is way too expensive for diesel. And it is difficult trying to get into most fuel stations even without a TOAD. This had a significant impact on us moving to a 5th wheel and a P/U with aux fuel tank in the bed. Now I can go 600+ miles without fueling while towing a 38 footer.

Flying J's are a rip off. Get some other gas apps for your phone and/or just pay attention to signs for gas prices. I just went through IA and FJ's were$2.69 for credit minus my GS discount would be $2.61. I went 20 miles up the road and paid $2.45 at a Kum n Go and saw another station at $2.51. Much less than the FJ's. Here's the scam related to me by my truck driver buddy. Most trucking companies pass through their gas prices to their customers, ultimately you and me. So a trucker pulls in and uses his company card. Retail price is passed on to customer. However, big trucking companies negotiate much reduced prices (like $2.45) so they actually make money on this deal charging their customers $2.69. It would not surprise me if GS doesn't do this by getting some of the kickback also as clearly you can find both gas and diesel at much lower prices than the FJ's. Why are all the truckers there. 2 reasons. One mentioned above as their company pays for the fuel. #2. They do have great amenities like over night parking, showers, and often greater choices for eating, mechanics, truck washes, dump stations for RV's. So there you have it. I have used both. If I stay over night I buy my diesel there as I feel obligated and it's more convenient. I also agree with other writers that both RV and truck pumps can be messy. You get discount at either. If you call in from pump 95% of time they authorize it. Happy trails.
BrewdogMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #45

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
We always use the RV lanes with our 40' and car. There are only a few that were dicey to get into or out of. I always check the Pilot/Flying J app to determine if there are RV pumps at a specific station. We have used the truck pumps in the past but they have a system that shuts down the pump if it kicks off too many times. Our rig is difficult to fill, requiring a longer time at the pumps, and you have to stop and start many times. When the pump stops in the truck lanes it cycles off and we have to call in and have them restart it, too much trouble. If they would get rid of that we would go back to the truck lanes. I also check a truckers app to find other fuel stops with truck pumps.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
When looking at cheaper prices, take note of the bio mix. I have found that if there is a large delta in near by stations it is usually because the cheaper one is selling B15 and up to B20 mix where the more expensive station is selling B5 blend or 100% diesel

Tags
fuel, fuel pump