Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have traveled the length of the East Coast and the West Coast using the PFJ Auto Pump Start card. I use the truck entrance and lanes for diesel fuel. I swipe the PFJ card and it authorizes pump start. I pump and when finished, pull forward, and go inside and pay. It has never failed and there is no $$ limit.
Same thing I do. If you swipe your RV card at pump, and have 'Pump Start', discount will show at the pump.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have traveled the length of the East Coast and the West Coast using the PFJ Auto Pump Start card. I use the truck entrance and lanes for diesel fuel. I swipe the PFJ card and it authorizes pump start. I pump and when finished, pull forward, and go inside and pay. It has never failed and there is no $$ limit.

Wayne, I don't think that would help since PenFed does not give the 5% discount unless the card is swiped at the pump!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Wayne, I don't think that would help since PenFed does not give the 5% discount unless the card is swiped at the pump!
Your discount with Penn Fed should show up on your bill not at point of purchase. Your Pilot?FJ card would get you the credit same as cash price. At least that is how it worked when we had a Penn Fed card. Now our other cc offers the same discounts and DW didn't want another card. Hope that helps.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Your discount with Penn Fed should show up on your bill not at point of purchase. Your Pilot?FJ card would get you the credit same as cash price. At least that is how it worked when we had a Penn Fed card. Now our other cc offers the same discounts and DW didn't want another card. Hope that helps.

Yes, the rebate comes off at the end of the month when I pay the bill, but there is NO REBATE unless the card is swiped at the pump.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
I just fueled up at the Flying J in Gillette WY. Following the steps on the pump: swiped my visa card followed by my RV Plus card... $150 limit...
Old 10-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Call Penn Fed and explain the situation. They should be able to see the entire transaction (what was purchased) and be able to keep their promise of a discount on fuel. If not, may be time to change cards. I use my pump start all the time and then pay with my cc inside and get our discounts through both Pilot/FJ and cc company. I know when we were using Penn Fed, we would get the discount on fuel that I used 'Pump Start' on. If not, I would have had a stiff wrap on the knuckles or upside the head from DW.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #21

I don't think anyone has answered his questions. Most of you do not know that if you purchase fuel and pay with a PenFed card, you will get 5% off your monthly bill for fuel purchases if only paid at the pump. I have a PenFed card. At Flying-J/P at the RV islands, I put in my PenFed card and then my RV Rewards card. I get the FJ $0.03 off per gallon of the cash price. Different FJs will stop pumping at different amounts, $75, $100, $125 and unlimited. If I still need more fuel, I can swipe my card one more time, but not the third time. I am so close to full that if I still want more, I use another card. But for any reason if I have to go into the store to pay (which you have to do if you fuel at the truck lanes), I will not get 5% off my fuel charges from PenFed. At $3.869/gal the discount is $0.03+$0.192 or a total of $0.222/gal. This is the reason I will only fuel where I can pay at the pump.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
I don't think anyone has answered his questions. Most of you do not know that if you purchase fuel and pay with a PenFed card, you will get 5% off your monthly bill for fuel purchases if only paid at the pump. I have a PenFed card. At Flying-J/P at the RV islands, I put in my PenFed card and then my RV Rewards card. I get the FJ $0.03 off per gallon of the cash price. Different FJs will stop pumping at different amounts, $75, $100, $125 and unlimited. If I still need more fuel, I can swipe my card one more time, but not the third time. I am so close to full that if I still want more, I use another card. But for any reason if I have to go into the store to pay (which you have to do if you fuel at the truck lanes), I will not get 5% off my fuel charges from PenFed. At $3.869/gal the discount is $0.03+$0.192 or a total of $0.222/gal. This is the reason I will only fuel where I can pay at the pump.
See #20 above. Last sentence. 45' with pulling a full size PU, I'm not chancing the RV isle unless I know I won't have an issue getting in and out. Without toad, that's a different animal.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
I don't think anyone has answered his questions...
Those of us who use the RV islands are answering this part of his questions from post #1 :
Quote:
Can use pay at the pump with a personal credit card?
Granted, not all of us are addressing the PenFed statement, but we are answering the questions we can. Picking nits= yes, but correctly picking.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
using the PFJ Auto Pump Start card. I use the truck entrance and lanes for diesel fuel. I swipe the PFJ card and it authorizes pump start. I pump and when finished, pull forward, and go inside and pay. It has never failed and there is no $$ limit.

Wayne is correct, I had an extra trip inside in my splanation....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Try this to see if it helps in the future. myRewards - Start The Pump
The way I understood that is that you have to have a manager set you up. The one I stopped at didn't have a manager available.

So when I filled up at the RV lane, the pump did stop at 100. I didn't try to use the same CC, I switched CCs - guess I should at least try that next time. I know I was a Mobil one day and it wouldn't let me use the same card twice.

The RV lane in at the Flying J in Baytown, Texas seem to have plenty of room as long as some one doesn't block the lanes as you had to drive by the front of the store to exit or come in front of the store to enter.

Good thread guys.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe, your PenFed card is good at the RV island. You may have to swipe it twice in order to get the amount of fuel you want. Most have $100. limit, and will allow you to swipe the PenFed card twice if necessary. You will still get your 5% discount from PenFed, even with multiple swipes at the same pump. Been doing it for two years now. But alas, the 5% discount is changing to 3% this month.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Joe, your PenFed card is good at the RV island. You may have to swipe it twice in order to get the amount of fuel you want. Most have $100. limit, and will allow you to swipe the PenFed card twice if necessary. You will still get your 5% discount from PenFed, even with multiple swipes at the same pump. Been doing it for two years now. But alas, the 5% discount is changing to 3% this month.
You can open a Money Market Savings account for only $25.00 with PenFed and continue to get the 5% rebate! You can do it online and even pay the $25.00 with another credit card!

Are you saying that you can only swipe the card twice? My MH holds 128 gallons and I usually don't fill up until it is at least down to half full, so I would typically put in about $250 in fuel.

Thanks to all of you for your comments!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the tip on opening the savings account. I thought the amount was more than $25, I will see about opening up an account today.
As to more than two swipes, I have never found it necessary as my motorhome only holds 75 gallons and I usually fuel when it has around half a tank left. I would certainly try three swipes of the card.