Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Flying J RV Islands

I have never used the RV Island at Flying J. I have a couple of questions for those who regularly use them.

1. Can use pay at the pump with a personal credit card? The truck pumps will not accept a personal card!

2. Does the pump shut off at $75 or $100? If so, can you just swipe the card again and continue filling?

I want to find someplace that I can use my PenFed Cash Rewards credit card and get the 5% rebate!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #2

1- Yes
2- Some do. Yes, you can swipe again.

My experience, anyway.

GL Arnold
Old 10-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
1. Yes
2. Sometimes, and Yes

I used my PenFed card there for years. And contrary to what some will say, I have never had access problems at F-J RV pumps with 40' coach plus toad. Some are tighter than others, but none too tight to work.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Same experience here as well. If you go to the fuel desk you will not have to swipe twice.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I used the P/FJ on I-10 in Pascagoula, where the outside pump was easy in-out (exited toward the back, thru the truck parking area). I used my Amex card at the pump; it shut off @ $100, but I was able to re-swipe and put in another $100.

At other P/FJ and Love's, I have used the truck pumps but had to go inside and pre-pay to get the pump turned on.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If you use the Good Sam Flying J Card, the pump will not shut off and it gives you the 6 cent minimum discount on the fuel. It also works on the truck pumps so you don't have to go inside for payment. We love Flying J because of the easy access and they don't have truck nozzles on the diesel pumps!
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have never used the RV Island at Flying J. I have a couple of questions for those who regularly use them.

1. Can use pay at the pump with a personal credit card? The truck pumps will not accept a personal card!

2. Does the pump shut off at $75 or $100? If so, can you just swipe the card again and continue filling?

I want to find someplace that I can use my PenFed Cash Rewards credit card and get the 5% rebate!
I have used the PenFed at Flying J RV Islands for a couple of years
Sometimes it shuts off at a dollar amount but most often I can put in 70 gallons without rerunning the card.
I'm on my third 5% $500 card. (takes some of the pain out of the fuel prices)
I've also used the card at truck stops but don't specifically remember doing so at Flying J.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

1. Yes

2. If you swipe loyalty card, pump does not usually shut off. I have had the pump shut off only in a few FJ locations - I think it was at $125 the last time that happened. If the pump does shut off, you can usually swipe the same card a second time. If the pump won't accept your card a second time (which has happened to me once, but not at FJ), you either need to go inside or use a different card.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We just use the semi lanes. Since we don't know how many gallons we will need, we go inside. We give both the rv card (not the rv credit card) and bank cc to get the discount and just tell them we are filling up. Sometimes they want the cc sometimes not. Thom then fills up while I wait inside. He moves forward and comes inside. We then finish the diesel transaction. Then we stretch our legs by looking around in the truck stop to see if we want anything. Within 10 mins we are done looking, stretched our legs, bought anything we wanted and back on the road.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Joe- One concern , may not apply to PenFed, but with my card, if I swipe at the pump I get the CC fuel discount, If I go inside it does not.
At Flying J instructions are on the RV pump- At the Island swipe CC, zipcode if asked then RV value card. Pump shutoff depends on card, one quit at $75 the other at $100. Both allowed 2nd run of the card.
Truck pumps at Flying J, Swipe loyalty card then go inside, return and fuel, move clear and back inside and pay......

Kirk above has info on the GoodSamFlyingJ CC.

Always have plenty of room using Flying J RV lanes. Too many Waiting for a lane can crowd the entrance... That's been rare so far...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
1. Yes
2. Depends on the location
I can swipe my loyalty card & sometimes the pump doesn't stop @$100
I can swipe my loyalty card & the pump will still stop @$100.

To get around the pump stop, I slightly over-estimate how much $$ it'll take to fill up, go inside & prepay the cashier. When the tank is full, I go back in & get my receipt for what is the actual $$ spent. Yeah a hassle going back & forth, but it's worked.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for your comments!

In order to get the 5% rebate on the PenFed card I have to be able to pay at the pump. If I go inside I don't get it! At today's diesel prices that's close to 20 cents a gallon discount!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Try this to see if it helps in the future. myRewards - Start The Pump
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have traveled the length of the East Coast and the West Coast using the PFJ Auto Pump Start card. I use the truck entrance and lanes for diesel fuel. I swipe the PFJ card and it authorizes pump start. I pump and when finished, pull forward, and go inside and pay. It has never failed and there is no $$ limit.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote