Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Flying J Service Centers

I recently completed a trip to TX and return to FL and experienced miserable service at each and every Flying J Service Center I visited. The equipment did not function properly or not at all. I almost was had an encounter with some angry truckers when I attempted to have a pump turned on, the problem was I had to wait in line because the attendant would not turn the pump on unless I paid before fueling, on another instance I was requested to leave my card with the attendant while I fueled. I don't trust them any more with my card than they trust me with the cost of fuel I am pumping. As far as the fantastic discount one receives on fuel purchase, I have to compare that with the service. Is it worth it. I paid $4.05 per gallon only to learn just a bit farther down the road same state I could have purchased it for $3.77. The discount on my purchase was $1.41 on a $191.95 bill. I am aware that Pilot purchased Flying J and it now poses the question are they going to continue operating it as it is today or are they simply going to let it die on the vine. I'm happy I have the option to look elsewhere. Thanks Lukas
lukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
its hard to use the truck diesel pumps without having DOT numbers, and a registery with them. I go up, pick up the phone, give them my them numbers and authority I run under, sometimes asked for a card number, sometimes they have a reader seperate from the pump you scan on and then when done fueling pull foward and go sign

^ those instructions on what I do is when Im driving my truck, not RV^

I recomend using the RV islands

I dont get to mad with the RV's since I too am a RVer, but I understand why other drivers get mad, we only have a certian amount of hours we can drive, and do not like to wait around

I do not defend the driver, If I see someone at the fuel island having issues I go and offer a helping hand and tell them how the process works on the truck islands
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your Flying J card should give you pump auto start. I look for Flying J/Pilot wherever I travel to take advantage of auto start and no limit on the pump, hate to rescan the credit card and restart the pump. This makes Flying J my preferred stop. $0.06 off per gallon is nice too.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You must have a diesel. We use P/FJ exclusively and it's always a pleasure for us. We have the P/FJ RV Plus card. Never a need to go inside, everything is done at the pump, discount included.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi lukas,
You can eliminate all the pre pump frustrations by joining their RV program. There are two different programs. One is for GS members and the other is for non-GS customers. I fuel only at PFJ locations. All one does is insert their membership card at the truck diesel pump. Fuel as much as you want. Once fueling is completed, one can drive away or pull forward and go into the store for a receipt. Go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/hi-im...g-j-89955.html and read the first post for additional information and links to the PFJ page that applies to you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Something doesn't sound right with your experience. I seek out Pilot/Flying J simply because I can start the pump without going inside. If other brands offered the same convenience I'd add them to my list of potential stops. Even at 6 cents off per $4 gallon that's 1.5% discount, I won't go out of my way for that, nor will I sweat whether or not I might save another $3 further down the road.

It's all about the convenience for me.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only once did I ever have a Flying-J pump not work as it should and they had a call into service. Of course I use the RV pumps, and I recommend you do as well, here is why.....

Many states have bought into the "Tax business, Tax business" trucks, are Business, so the fuel tax at the truck pumps is higher than at the RV pumps.. Now Flying J, when you present an RV loyality card, USUALLY corrects this automatically.... but not all stations do (I do not know of all Flying-J's do) thus it's easier to use the proper pump to start with.

(of course you can file for a refund come April but hey, there are only 50 states you can drive to (Yes, 50, counting Washington DC as a state.. Or perhaps 51 if you include "Confusion" which is the largest state in the country covering, as it does, the rest of them).

NOTE: if you have an RV loyality card, that might help you with getting the pump turned on.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #8

I agree with you. The Flying J RV islands are in poor repair. On one particular trip three out of four islands did not work properly. I now have the Pilot charge card and use the truck island. If I pull off at the Pilot exit and see a much better fuel price I go there. I have found that Pilot/Flying J is the least stressful fueling experience for me.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have one comment. If you fuel at the truck pumps without the FJ credit card and have to prepay a certain amount, ALWAYS pull forward after fueling before going in to complete the transaction. This allows a trucker waiting behind you to go ahead and start fueling. You would think that anyone using the truck pumps would know to do this, but I have seen RV'ers block the pump while waiting in line to pay. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi lukas,
You can eliminate all the pre pump frustrations by joining their RV program. There are two different programs. One is for GS members and the other is for non-GS customers. I fuel only at PFJ locations. All one does is insert their membership card at the truck diesel pump. Fuel as much as you want. Once fueling is completed, one can drive away or pull forward and go into the store for a receipt. Go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/hi-im...g-j-89955.html and read the first post for additional information and links to the PFJ page that applies to you.
I have the RV card but I have never been able to get the pump to start outside, and depending on the credit card (MC or Visa) I have been limited.

I figure I must be doing something wrong ...
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #11

i hate flying J . Service? I cant complain about because they have none.
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I guess I have solved my own dilemma. I went back to Lindsay's post ...
[my own emphasis added]

Truck Diesel Lanes:

Insert only the loyalty card at the pump to enable “Pump Start”
Do not insert any other card such as a credit or debit card at the pump or the transaction will fail
Pump fuel
When finished fueling, hang up nozzle
Pull forward to clear lane so that others may fuel
Go inside and see cashier for payment
Even if paying with credit/debit card still receive cash price and $.03 discount
Discount details will not be printed on receipt but discount will be applied to total

Next time I will try it without inserting the credit card.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I always opt to use a Flying J.

I have never had a problem of any consequence that I did not create myself.

p.s., as posted below this one, I do not go to the RV pump islands either. With a 40' MH and a TOAD, I'm about 60-62 feet long and I don't like being blocked in at the RV islands. I have never had a trucker say a bad word to me. On the contrary, many have remarked favorably on my RV. I also, having driven for a company, follow the etiquette of the truckers. Pull up, fuel up, move forward to clear the pump, go in and pay. When departing and there is a truck departing at the same time I will always wave them on to go first. Never a problem.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #14

I don't pull into the RV slots unless I am sure that I can get out without disconnecting the toad. Even the truck side can be a problem if the station does not have a circle drive. Many of the Pilot Centers do not have circle drives for the trucks. Trucks can back and turn easier than a MH with a Toad. Flying J's have good access and exits on the truck side, thus they get most of my business for fuel when we are not in South Texas. Bucees gets my fuel business when we are in South Texas because they are cheaper on fuel than FJs even with the GS discount.

Tags
service