Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #15
Unless I need propane or need to dump I never use the RV lanes, I always use the truck lanes. I usually spend about $350.00 to fill up. The pumps at the rv lanes pump a lot slower than the truck lanes. It hurts to pay that much so I go to the truck lanes to get it over quickly. If I really want it over quick I fill from both sides at the same time.

Steven USCG EMC Retired
Lilli Pi(the crazy cat)
1998 Country Coach Intrigue 2000 Jeep Sahara w/Stay in Play Duo
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 05:36 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
I agree with earlier posters - because I have a toad and can't back up, I must do everything I can to not get stuck at a gas station and have to unhook to get out. So I always use truck stops and most always use the truck pumps. I have a flying J card and use Flying J often.

Richard Anderson
2002 Beaver Monterey Seacliff, '13 Jeep Wrangler
Retired, fulltimer
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
At least in ERIE Pa. both truck stops in the area are REALLY sticking to truckers and anyone else buying diesel. Here is a price check from Gas Buddy for this morning in Erie Pa, at the Citgo station just off I-90 diesel is 3.99 and at the Pilot truck stop just down the road its 4.35 that's a .36 a gl difference in less then a mile apart, There's no price yet for the TA in Harbor Creek but they usually mirror the Pilots price.
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:52 AM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
I search for the Flying J with RV lanes being I have a gas rig I cannot use the truck lanes. I do have a question about their pump setup. The pumps are in the middle of the two lanes and my tank is on the DS. I use or wait until the right lane is open. But I noticed there are some nozzles on the outside islands also. I assume these connect to the pump, but I would like to know for sure before I pull into the wrong lane.

I have not noticed much difference in Flying J's prices compared to the other stations. I am thinking of upgrading to a DP and then I can use the truck lanes. Are there particular pumps in the truck lanes for the RVers to use?
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2016 Chevrolet Equinox - V6 - AWD
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I just got home from a 2,285 mile trip down to the Mississippi gulf coast and back. Stopped exclusively at Flying J / Pilot in Missouri, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Iowa. The fuel prices were all within a few pennies for all of the stations at the exits we stopped at. I'm sure if you were to go 10 miles off the Interstate and do some bargain hunt research you may find a station that is a lot cheaper, but as was said earlier some of those places you may get into but can't get out of. For me I'll continue to use Pilot/Fling J with my RV Plus card and use the truck lanes with no card limits and save $.08 a gallon. I have put on nearly 10,000 mile since I got the RV Plus card, and I have to admit I don't look at the Bio %, but I have not had a mechanical issue. I figure when there are 2 deep at every truck pump, the fuel can't be too bad....Or prices either....Happy Trails.
Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #20
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
I pulled into the Flying J on I95 Exit 29 in GA today. Drove right into the RV Island, no waiting.

Price on pump for Diesel was $3.889. Swiped my Visa 3% off card then Swiped my GS 3 discount card. Total cost came out at $3.743 a gal. My receipt was gotten right at pump.

Parked in a RV narrow slot. Went inside and had a $2.12 breakfast at Denny's.
Works for me. Next fill up will be at another Flying J in SC. with a Denny's.

Most Flying J's now have from 5% to 15% BIO. That information for any stations amount is on their web site.
The one I filled up today has a Intended Bio Blend: B15

Tomorrow morning I have a 25 mile drive from this campground to a Flying J with a Denny's. No fuel needed there, but will get another breakfast.

To add a couple of other nice things flying j has to offer, is the greatest coffee......have you tried to clean that bug splattered windshield with one of those short handle squeegee ?.....it don't work....most of the time they have a fresh bucket of windshield solution with a long handle squeegee available....how good is that.
If you need air for your tires, most but not all have air at the RV island.....never get that at a regular gas station...need to dump, it's there also.
I have had a couple of situations where after getting fuel at a gas station, I could not make the turn to get out because the big pickup trucks parked facing the station would extend beyond my turning radius.....would have to wait till the driver came out and move before I could get out...once 2 p/u trucks had to leave.....bummer. Love those RV island.
I also see that a few independent gas stations are providing RV access to the pumps with easy egress......that would be nice if more stations adopt this trend.....also post on the hwy signs that a station has RV islands.......thought I have seen a couple, but few and far in between.
All in all, flying j gas prices are competive.....I don't need to hunt for gas to save 10 cents....get real.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #21
We use FJ whenever practical. Our son eats a lot of their pizza. Whikle their prices might be a little higher than other stations, the discount and convenience of RV lanes make it competitive in my estimation. I agree there are way too many small vehicles using the RV lanes, but I doubt FJ can do much about it. By the time they could make someone move, they are finished and ready to go anyway.

I may have posted elsewhere about an event at a Wildwood FL TA where a man and boy parked at a pump and went inside to eat. When I complained the TA people just said they didn't know whose vehicle it was. When I finally tried to pull around, the culprits came out and said it was too bad if I was inconvenienced. To compound the problem I pulled around to the opposite outside pumps only to be blocked by a Mustang of some UF sorority girls who had gone in to shop and giggle. It was NOT a pleasant experience.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've used P/FJ exclusively for several years and never noticed them being higher in price than Loves, T/A or anyone else, especially with our discount. At 54' long w/trailer, I'm not going drive 5 miles off the highway looking to save 3 cents a gallon not knowing the room at a local station. Since ours is a gasser, we don't have the luxury of truck lanes. We just finished a 2200 mi trip home from Phoenix and had to use car lanes twice. Never had an in or out problem and never have in the past either. We travel with the My Pilot app which lists stations along our route and lists the amenities at each.
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #23

Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
I avoid Flying J and Pilot stations at all cost...Even with their discount (if you can get it) they are still the highest price around. Since Flying J's management won't listen I'll take my $$$ and go to a station down the road.
what 5300 said why get gouged
Never argue with a moron they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #24
Rexhall Owners Group
Being retired I enjoy our travels, and don't mind taking the time to wait in line at fuel stops. I will get out and chat with other folks fueling up their RVs and have met some fascinating people usually happy to talk about their rigs and their travels. If I am a half hour later getting to where I'm going, it's no big deal.

That said I do use the Pilot RV travel guide, and the My Pilot App to plan our fuel stops around stations with RV lanes. My 35 ft. gasser with a Toad on a dolly is just too scary to steer around 4 wheelers in a regular gas lane. Interestingly I did notice that out west, where there is more elbow room, there are a lot more stations with the pumps arranged parallel to the highway for easy in and out.
2003 Rexhall Rexair, 3550 Ford V10 with Banks
2014 Honda CRV-AWD via Blue Ox
Travel with SWMBO and Golden Doodle co pilot
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just traded a 37 foot Dp for a 39 foot Gasser. Used to always be able to use truck lanes to guarantee ease. Now the RV lanes seem like the best option. I will plan our first long trip around FJs that have RV lanes. We are retired so a wait isn't a big deal. We only travel around 250 miles a day. Always something to do while waiting. Windshield, check toad hookup, etc.
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #26
I have a 40' Monaco DP. I have found fuel and gas to be very reasonable at Murphy's fuel stops usually located at a lot of Walmart Super centers. On trip from OH to bike week last month I save an average of $.05 per gallon. The trick is go to any Walmart and get one of their gift cards (free) use your credit or debit card to put money on the gift card and use that at the pump for the instant savings. I use that procedure all the time and have never had a problem.
1994 Executive
Ronbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I personally use Love's Travel Stops. They are almost always cheaper or at least competitive. They are also cleaner. With regard to the OP, I recall a sign somewhere in the past that said "Please do not leave vehicles unattended." Maybe it would help if these were more prominent (bigger and in bold red print).
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #28
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In what part of the country are the FJ Pilot stations located that are the highest prices around? I do most of my traveling in northern AZ and Southern CA and find FJ Pilot and sometimes Love's to be the best prices per Gas Buddy and the stations highway signs. TA rarely comes even close to their prices and don't even think about any name brand except maybe Arco. Also, are some of these cheaper station no name gas? I don't ever use no name gas anymore, had too much trouble with that stuff.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is online now   Reply With Quote