Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Depends. Last winter Loves in Yuma was 20c higher for diesel than regular (and busier) stations across the street. I find these logistics to be typical between "convenient" and regular stations that folks with 40+ rigs plus toads frequent most, and are able to access due to being experienced. But then $20 per 100 gallons does perk up folks ears a bit.
Well I have to agree with that Dave. I would go right by any station that was 20 higher just on principle.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #58

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Agree, no Rv no fuel! Great idea!

Ph.D. Psychology, Applied Sports Psychology

Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #59
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
When we travel we always look for the RV full service centers. It amazes me how many people do not know what and RV island is. Just out side Tallahassee we stopped to fill up at the RV island. There was a pick-up truck in one lane and a panel truck in the other lane. No one in either vehicle. They finally can back with bags of goodies. There were three motorhomes waiting to get serviced. Maybe Fly J should monitor the RV islands. If you are not an RV the pumps should not operate...... Oh this is not the first Flying J that has had this problem.........
That's OK. When the RV lanes are full, I return the favor by going through the auto lanes.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #60

[QUOTE=paz;2210519]That's OK. When the RV lanes are full, I return the favor by going through the auto lanes.

I do same thing a lot of time, especially when some one
is blocking the RV island. Do have to occasionally back out though.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
We are newbie RV owners with our first DP. What are the best places to stop for fuel if Flying J / Pilot not good? Never paid attention to truck stops in past since never owned an RV before.
Read everything with a grain of salt. Flying J has problems but so do a lot of other fuel stations. Those idiots that park their vehicles and go shopping are not just at Flying J stations. You meet them all over. They block roads in state parks, run over things in RV parks, etc. We just have to keep out of their way. Having a very low I.Q. doesn't mean you can't get a drivers license.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #62

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Depends. Last winter Loves in Yuma was 20c higher for diesel than regular (and busier) stations across the street. I find these logistics to be typical between "convenient" and regular stations that folks with 40+ rigs plus toads frequent most, and are able to access due to being experienced. But then $20 per 100 gallons does perk up folks ears a bit.
I believe AZ has different pricing for diesel fuel for vehicles >26,000 lbs so the diesel at truck stops is more expensive than at regular stations. Technically, I think it is probably illegal for a DP to fuel at a regular station but I doubt anyone at the station would care.

But back to your example, my usual fill-up is more like ~60 gallons rather than 100 and so even a 20 cent a gal the price difference is more like $12 than $20. Since I'm already paying >$200 for the fillup I honestly don't care about the $12. As far as I'm concerned, convenience has a price and $12 is money well spent IMHO.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #63

Flying J Stops

I guess it is a "grey area"
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=50445.0

I can see where those uncomfortable in making maneuvers may opt for convenience.
60 gallons or 100 adds up to the same savings over 10 or 6 fillups: $120 per 600 gallons.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #64

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
I guess it is a "grey area"
Arizona Diesel Fuel for Rigs over 26,000lbs

I can see where those uncomfortable in making maneuvers may opt for convenience.
60 gallons or 100 adds up to the same savings over 10 vs 6 fillups: $180 per 600 miles.
My 60 gal fill-up gives me 480 miles of driving at my usual 8 mpg. So the savings is $12 on 480 miles, not $180 on 600 miles.

So on the ~2,500 mile trip I have from my summer location to my winter one, the savings is more like ~$60 out of the $1150-1200 I will pay for fuel on that trip. That's 5% assuming I could get 20 cent per gallon savings on all my fuel which, of course, I can't. We were discussing the special case of AZ; in most places the savings per gallon for finding a station cheaper than a truck stop is more like 10 cents per gallon or less.

In reality, the savings realizable by trying to find fuel for less than truckstop prices is going to be more on the 2-3% level without even including any additional mileage driven finding such stations. At that level it's not an issue of not feeling comfortable maneuvering in small stations, it's simply not worth the effort!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #65

Flying J Stops

I will accept the 6-10 bucks per hundred. A dollar a minute while filling aint so bad. Gotta save for tires!
And, while having lunches in the MH at FJs (et al) during rest breaks, I have noticed some folks being "convenienced" at the pumps for a very long time.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
I say we all go back to Stuckeys!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
If you old enough to remember them. Lol
Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post
If you old enough to remember them. Lol

Oh, for just one pecan log.....❤️

Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #69

Now Petro travel centers are adding RV lanes. I went through the truck lanes, only to notice the RV lanes after the fact. One of the managers said Petro and TA have merged but will keep separate names. A great option for when PFJ is not nearby.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Where was this Petro station at?

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote