Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2005, 05:28 AM   #1

Since we are all ready to jump on companies that don't meet our expectations, I thought I would compliment one that not only met them but exceeded them, that being Flying J. I also wanted to warn others about Apex Digital's warranty policy.

My wife and I were in South Dakota doing the license registration thing in May. We stayed in a Flying J and while there saw what we thought was the perfect TV/DVD combination for the bedroom in our new Excel trailer. We bought the TV and continued on our way to Virginia to get the new trailer and then home to NY. We camped several nights and had the opportunity to use the TV which was fine but did not have any DVD's with us so did not use the DVD player. Once home in NY we tried the DVD player and found it did not work. I went to the Apex Digital website and found an authorized service center using the link on Apex's web site labeled "TV Service Center Locator" and followed the directions to find the service center. I found a service center near my home and took it there. After several days the service center told me that the TV/DVD would have to be returned to Apex for repair.

I called Apex Digital and was told that the warranty was voided since their "authorized service center" had opened the TV/DVD! It seems that the "authorized service center" is only authorized to work on TV's 27" and larger. It also seems that this exception was in the paragraph BELOW the directions telling you how to find the "authorized service center". I was less then pleased. I pointed out to Apex Digitals "customer services" representative that their agent should not have accepted the TV/DVD player since they knew it was under warranty (I provided the bill of sale to them) and that as Apex Digitals agent they should not have the ability to void the warranty, which is essentially the same as Apex having the ability to void its own warranty! In addition, I pointed out to the "customer service" representative that if you follow the directions on the web site (i.e., "To locate an authorized Apex TV service center near you, please fill in the following and click submit.") that you never see the exception for TV's less that 27" since that is in the paragraph below the directions to locate the authorized dealer. The "Customer Service" representative told me that I should have looked at the warranty information included in the package and not their web site!

After talking to many Apex Digital employees, writing to Apex Digitals Warranty Review Board on June 29 and then faxing them a letter on August 10, after not getting an answer from either communication, I sent an e-mail to Flying J just to tell them that about the warranty provisions of one of their suppliers. Flying J responded within two days and said they would look in to it. I received a message from Flying J's supplier, Barjan, two days later saying that they would replace the TV/DVD and would send it to me prior to me returning the defective one so that I could use the packaging to return the defective one.

I am very impressed with how responsive Flying J and their supplier Barjan were and would recommend them to anyone. I also think that before purchasing any Apex Digital electronics, everyone should think about what happens if they need warranty work done.

kcjones50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2005, 05:28 AM   #2

Since we are all ready to jump on companies that don't meet our expectations, I thought I would compliment one that not only met them but exceeded them, that being Flying J. I also wanted to warn others about Apex Digital's warranty policy.

My wife and I were in South Dakota doing the license registration thing in May. We stayed in a Flying J and while there saw what we thought was the perfect TV/DVD combination for the bedroom in our new Excel trailer. We bought the TV and continued on our way to Virginia to get the new trailer and then home to NY. We camped several nights and had the opportunity to use the TV which was fine but did not have any DVD's with us so did not use the DVD player. Once home in NY we tried the DVD player and found it did not work. I went to the Apex Digital website and found an authorized service center using the link on Apex's web site labeled "TV Service Center Locator" and followed the directions to find the service center. I found a service center near my home and took it there. After several days the service center told me that the TV/DVD would have to be returned to Apex for repair.

I called Apex Digital and was told that the warranty was voided since their "authorized service center" had opened the TV/DVD! It seems that the "authorized service center" is only authorized to work on TV's 27" and larger. It also seems that this exception was in the paragraph BELOW the directions telling you how to find the "authorized service center". I was less then pleased. I pointed out to Apex Digitals "customer services" representative that their agent should not have accepted the TV/DVD player since they knew it was under warranty (I provided the bill of sale to them) and that as Apex Digitals agent they should not have the ability to void the warranty, which is essentially the same as Apex having the ability to void its own warranty! In addition, I pointed out to the "customer service" representative that if you follow the directions on the web site (i.e., "To locate an authorized Apex TV service center near you, please fill in the following and click submit.") that you never see the exception for TV's less that 27" since that is in the paragraph below the directions to locate the authorized dealer. The "Customer Service" representative told me that I should have looked at the warranty information included in the package and not their web site!

After talking to many Apex Digital employees, writing to Apex Digitals Warranty Review Board on June 29 and then faxing them a letter on August 10, after not getting an answer from either communication, I sent an e-mail to Flying J just to tell them that about the warranty provisions of one of their suppliers. Flying J responded within two days and said they would look in to it. I received a message from Flying J's supplier, Barjan, two days later saying that they would replace the TV/DVD and would send it to me prior to me returning the defective one so that I could use the packaging to return the defective one.

I am very impressed with how responsive Flying J and their supplier Barjan were and would recommend them to anyone. I also think that before purchasing any Apex Digital electronics, everyone should think about what happens if they need warranty work done.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:01 AM   #3

Nice to see some one going above and beyond to keep a customer satisfied.

James
jipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
I too have been very pleased with Flying J's merchandising.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #5

Well, would you believe that Apex Digital called me today and agreed to fix the TV/DVD under warranty? Yes, after my initial letter of June 29 and my second letter of August 10 by fax (not to mention the numerous phone calls), I finally got a response on September 8! I explained to the poor person that was elected to call me that the problem had been taken care of by Flying J and Barjan, no thanks to Apex Digital. I also faxed my original letter to them so they had a better idea of what the issues were. Why should getting warranty work done on a new product be so difficult!