Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #1

FlyingJ/Pilot

We recall when FlyingJ used to treat rv'ers with respect as a loyal customer by giving a discounts and free use of dump stations. Now after merging with Pilot, they not only cut the discount in half, but they want to charge $10 to use the dump stations! We realized across the street that fuel was cheaper and that dump stations at rest stops are free. We are supporting a nationwide Boycott of FlyingJ's until they allow free use of the existing dump stations!!
rhjokie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #2

Only problem is dump station at rest areas are far and few between and a lot of rest areas are closing across the nation.
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
paz

lostagain is right - many rest area dump stations are closing. The problem is abuse of the facilities by a few. Some people don't clean up after themselves, and a few stuff all kinds of debris down the pipe. The cost of maintenance of a public dump station is high.

With the RV card, the discount on gasoline used to be 1 cent a gallon. It's now 2 cents, so they have actually doubled the discount for gasoline. If the price of fuel is cheaper across the street, you are free to go there, but I go to FJ because I know I can get in and out without unhooking the toad.

BTW, the RV card will also get you a 50% discount on the use of the dump station. That's not as good as free, but free ones are getting few and far between.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rhjokie2,

Welcome to iRV2. Your first post is quite bold. The Pilot/J company is getting back to where the program was before Pilot purchased the J. The program is not the same. For me, if they deliver what they have promised, I'll be a loyal customer. For RVers, highlights of the loyalty plan are (from the Pilot/J web site):
  • Instant fuel discounts at the pump on diesel, gas, and propane
    • $0.03 off diesel (currently available at RV and auto diesel lanes only)- COMING SOON TO TRUCK DIESEL LANES
    • $0.02 off gas
    • $0.10 off propane
  • $5 off dumping fees
  • Register your card to earn special members-only offers
    • Unlimited fuel discounts (no max gallons)
    • Pump Start
    • Members-only benefits such as the Coffee Club, buy 5 hot beverages and the 6th is on us!
If this does not present a value to you, please feel free to go elsewhere. This will make the line shorter for those of us who find the Pilot/J a value.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Free dumping is not free. Flying J / Pilot has to pay for it and have chosen in the past to absorb the cost. I don't figure anybody owes me a free place to dump my sewage.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
Free dumping is not free. Flying J / Pilot has to pay for it and have chosen in the past to absorb the cost. I don't figure anybody owes me a free place to dump my sewage.

I totally agree.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want to boycott them go for it, I'm still trying to figure out why they should be in business to provide you or any one else with free services

Normally what you get free in one hand you pay for in the other.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please Boys,don't muddy these waters with,......Comon Sence!!!!!!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Loves charges $5.00 to dump and it used to be free also. I'll continue to use Loves and Flying J and pay to dump. Usually I only need it after using my macerator for an extended time, then after driving for a while I stop and use the 3" and get a good dump. When I stay at campgrounds I'm using the 3" and have no need of pay for dump.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just one more thing, I can see why some are closing and some are now charging. Let's face it, there are a small percentage of RVrs who are slobs. They make a mess and drive away. I watched an episode of a reality TV show that featured a family with several children, fulltiming in a 5r. In one episode, they are in a campground and it's time to dump. They send a small child out to do it. He succeeds in dumping the sewage on the ground and as the poo flows into their neighbors camp space, the mother laughs and says we better get out of here. I don't remember the name of this show, I'm just glad it was cancelled.
As we were camped for a month this last fall in WV, we watched 4 guys pull into the space next to us with a TT. They had gotten permission just to dump and leave. They had a slinky without a sewer connection attached and just shoved it onto the dump fitting and pulled the plug. Some of the sewage spilled onto the ground (again followed by laughter). Then they put the end of the slinky over the water spigot to wash it out again onto the ground. They quickly beat a retreat out of the CG. I reported this to the management and before they got around to cleaning it someone was pulling into the spot. I went down and told them what had taken place and helped them clean up with clorox before they hooked up.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Give me, Give me, Give me. Everyone owes me, yet, I owe nobody.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #12

Have you ever heard the expression ' There is no such thing as a free lunch"? When you were not paying a separate dump fee at Flying J you were paying for the service through other means. I've never known of any company in business to avoid making a profit. As long as Flying J profits I will have a reasonable safe, clean, and convenient place to re-fuel, dump my tanks when necessary, have a meal, and park overnight for free.
Last summer one Flying J I stopped at had the dump station locked and signage saying it was closed by city order. Seems someone had dumped something that upset the water treatment plant process, and Flying J was found to be the source. By charging for dump service Flying J can now more closely monitor usage and have records of who dumped and when.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi rhjokie2,
If this does not present a value to you, please feel free to go elsewhere. This will make the line shorter for those of us who find the Pilot/J a value.
I just joined the Fueler Advantage program. Could you please explain what Loyalty Card is? It want me to enter a number and I am not sure what number they want. Thanks,
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

"Loyalty card" refers to any of the several 'good customer' cards that Pilot and Flying J offer to their customers as a reward for doing regular business with them. There are so many of them they just talk about them as a group called Loyalty Cards. They used to call them Rewards cards.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote