Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

FMCA Assist vs. Good Sam Travel Assist

Hi. Just looking for your opinions or experiences before we decide. We are thinking of getting FMCA Assist (which comes with the FMCA membership) or Good Sam Travel Assist (which are the policies to help you in case of a medical event and someone had to get the RV back home for you, etc.) They seem very comparable and are same price per year. I am leaning towards FMCA—I can’t tell you why exactly…maybe because an acquaintance recommended FMCA.
We already have Good Sam ROADSIDE Assistance and have (unfortunately) used it twice in last two years and had no complaints whatsoever with the service. We have a fifth wheel, but understand FMCA membership now covers other than just motorhomes. I read some old posts, but wanted to start a fresh discussion. Thanks in advance for your input.
BillyandKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

Here is a link to the 9,180 previous discussions on Coachnet Vs. GS Vs. FMCA

Pick a few from the last month and read and you will have what you need to move forward.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22e...earch=irv2.com
Old 10-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Here is a link to the 9,180 previous discussions on Coachnet Vs. GS Vs. FMCA

Pick a few from the last month and read and you will have what you need to move forward.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22e...earch=irv2.com

The OP is referring to the medical evacuation stuff, not the towing
Old 10-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Billy and Kris. I heard we just missed y’all at Lake Ouchita State Park this year. Hope everything going well.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

Hi Tim and Mary.
Thanks Don. Yes, I have noticed that these discussions always get mixed up with the ROADSIDE assistance. The link I was directed to discussed Roadside Assistance. We already have that with Good Sam and it is good. What I am interested in now is the Travel Assist plans which help you if someone has a medical issue and nobody can drive the camper and all that sort of thing.
BillyandKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #6

I have MASA. I've never used it, but the plan covers more services than any other I have read about.

https://www.masaassist.com/
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #7

OP, I apologize for my cranial flatulence. One think that you are going to run into is that evidently FMCA's plan has changed (or is perceived as changed) in that they will no longer cover transportation home, but only to a higher level of care facility. I will look for that discussion and come back to this post.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #8

OP, I'm sorry for my earlier confusion. I was reading in a hurry as I was eating my "breakfast".

Here is the last thread that I am aware of on the topic. Read the FMCA propaganda ( GS too) closely as I believe that neither will pay for moving the patient back home in case that is part of your question.
But then, maybe somebody could get a letter that they were too incapacitated to drive, but not to where they couldn't ride home in the coach......

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/good-...od-412249.html
Old 10-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
OP, I'm sorry for my earlier confusion. I was reading in a hurry as I was eating my "breakfast".

Here is the last thread that I am aware of on the topic. Read the FMCA propaganda ( GS too) closely as I believe that neither will pay for moving the patient back home in case that is part of your question.
But then, maybe somebody could get a letter that they were too incapacitated to drive, but not to where they couldn't ride home in the coach......

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/good-...od-412249.html

When one has concerns or questions, why ask for opinions on a forum? Call FMCA and ask for Dan Ball. He is the Director of Membership and can answer your questions about member benefits.

I think you will find that FMCAssist will return you home when you are not able to drive. Just follow the rules. Don’t expect payment after the fact. After 911, call FMCAssist to open a case.

I have worked with 3 different members that were transported and their RV returned.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #10

I'd advise to read the fine print on both especially on taking you all the way home depending how ill or hurt you are. Sometimes it's the nearest medical facility.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:41 AM   #11

I didn't see anything about medical transportation home, only to a higher level facility which will usually be covered as a medically necessary transportation by your insurance or Medicare.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #12

Medicare B will pay ambulance to the nearest facility that can treat you. Air transportation is paid only if it's an emergency and you need immediate care that a nearby facility cannot give. We've had experience with this issue. The patient was stabilized in Missouri but wanted to get home to Arizona. As long as the patient was in good care, Medicare will not pay. This was an out-of-pocket expense.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our local hospital doesn't have the facilities and doctors to care for a heart attack patient long-term but there is one 50 miles away that can care for heart attack patients and perform surgery if need. Medicare on many occasions covered the cost to move them at no cost. I talk to the local doctor and he said if an emergency better off going with what the hospital knows rather then take the time to research how a different service works or what they cover.

I've renewed my FMCA membership because I understand that they will arrange to get your coach home and your pet's so for me that is worth the membership fees. We do travel all over the USA and really don't have a family member that could retrieve our coach.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #14

Quote:
I didn't see anything about medical transportation home, only to a higher level facility which will usually be covered as a medically necessary transportation by your insurance or Medicare.

Why not call FMCA 800-543-3622 and ask for Membership Services and ask your specific questions. Further information may be available from Seven Corners, the provider. Hearsay and opinions should not be treated as gospel when it comes to the very important benefit.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel