Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Well, here is one problem with the Pomona International Convention. The Western Area just had a rally in Indio in January. Lots of people pick one FMCA activity a year and seeing as how a lot of people are down here for the winter, they went to the Indio rally. Most of the vendors have a circuit that they travel and the Pomona convention might not have fit their plans.

BTW, it has been the policy of FMCA to not allow day pass holders to attend seminars. In all the rallies and conventions I have gone to, they have never allowed day passes to attend, even at Indio. If you were able to get into a seminar, you lucked out.

Now, I know you are going to say, well they shouldn't have had two events that close together but the areas and international are two separate things when it comes to scheduling. Most times if the international is going to be held in a specific area, that area does not hold a rally but the western area decided they would have their Indio rally anyway because they make a lot of money and it is a big draw in mid winter.

True, you can get better pricing on the internet but where can you go and talk to reps from Dometic, Norcold, Girard, different battery dealers, Cummins, Freightliner, etc.

Also, if you need something repaired, where can you get a large assembly of factory techs in one spot. Need a new windshield, you can get it, need new awnings you can get it, need new tires they are there. Want to get some new cabinetry, it is there also

So you can see, attending a FMCA convention is more than cheap prices.
I attended the Indio Western Rally and really enjoyed it. It wasn't as big as the Redmond Reunion but I stilled end up purchasing a few things. Lets not give up just yet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I attended the national FMCA convention in Pomona CA yesterday on a day pass only, since it is close to home. My intention was to attend some great seminars, peruse all of the new gadgets being offered (hence my forum name), and purchase some other items that I needed in the vendor exhibits. I did this 8 or 9 years ago during the last national convention held in Pomona and I had a blast!

This year things were TOTALLY different. Day pass holders are no longer allowed to attend seminars. Really FMCA? I pay my dues faithfully for 18 years you cheap out on a lousy seminar?

Oh well, at least there were the vendors...or so I thought. I found there to be a fraction of the vendors that I saw at the last Pomona convention. I had six items on my shopping list and found none of them. A few interesting items I did see were seriously over priced and could be had on Amazon for much less. All in all, my visit was not worth the price of parking and admission. Very disappointing.

Craig
Some vendors attended Quartzsite, the FMCA Rally in Indio in January, the Good Sam Rally a few weeks ago in AZ, and chose not to attend Pomona due to close scheduling.
I understand attendance of visiting RVs was just over a thousand. Don't know about day visitors. But over all less than prior years.
FMCA Chapter Volunteers bust their butts as road guards, drivers, security, customer service, janitorial, servers, and a whole lot more and only get a few free dinners and some drinks for their efforts. They did not and do not get discounts on RV Parking and attendance costs. Many do not find time get to attend any seminars.
Like others I paid over $20 to attend and those with day passes denied the opportunity to attend seminars does not bother me a bit. Many seminars were full to capacity by those who paid to attend them.
Those on day passes were also denied to go on tours for free and enjoy the music and entertainment of Mary Kay and Peter Noone. The cost(s) of Registration and what was included was clear.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post

Like others I paid over $20 to attend and those with day passes denied the opportunity to attend seminars does not bother me a bit.
Well sir, I'm glad it didn't bother you a bit. I would have gladly paid $20 to attend the seminars, but I was told by FMCA that I needed to purchase a $200 Passport for the privilege. That's just a tad more than $20, and ridiculously high IMHO.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Education is never cheap.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Education is never cheap.
Neither is politeness....it's priceless.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:52 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
If the OP had read the registration form, he would have seen that the fee for registration was $205 which would allow him to bring his coach and park. He then could have taken all the seminars and entertainment he wanted. For an extra fee, he could have had either 30 amp or 50 amp electrical. The costs of electrical at a rally/convention is a pass thru cost and FMCA makes nothing by providing it.

The passport fee was $195 for two people for the whole convention and would have allowed the same as the coach registration only he couldn't bring the coach.

I'm glad to see that some on this board recognize the efforts of the volunteers at rally's and conventions and appreciate it. The next time you attend, take the time to thank a volunteer
Old 04-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FMCA Convention Disappoints

The OP did read the registration. In fact, I also called the FMCA office to verify. They had no provision for a one person passport. To me it made no sense to charge someone essentially the same amount to walk around as it did to camp. I didn't need a campsite and I didn't need electricity. I merely wanted to take in some of the convention on one day, on my own, as I did last time.

I'm obviously trying to get my point across, so let's consider the conversation closed.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Craig

Tags
vent