Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj
Your a rare breed Ed, and unfortunately getting rarer
I disagree. This world is full of them.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
laj

Glad you Craig. Sure hope your right.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a lifetime membership in MASA (medical air Services Assn or something like that)

Back when I got it it was a one time rather large payment, That has been made so if I need to go hospital (or funeral parlor) they pay the freight and take care of the motor home too.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Interesting thread here. Here are some facts.

1. The FMCAssist program was costing $500K/yr. with the last year costing $362K.

2. Last year there were 18 members that took advantage of the program to the tune of approx $20K per incident.

3. The company that supplied coverage told FMCA that they would suspend coverage 30 Sept. 2012. That company is now partnered with Good Sam.

4. The new program being offered by FMCA has some added benefits above what was available in the past. Read the October issue of the magazine.

5. FMCA did go out for bid for coverage, MASA bid was $2.2 mil/yr, another company bid $1.7mil/yr. Another bid was for $400 per family per year. For comparison, SKYMED will cost you $430/yr.

6. A dues increase could not have been voted on at the convention. It is a requirement that items coming up for a vote,be provided to the governing board 120 days prior to the vote, that was not done as FMCA was not notified that coverage was going to be dropped by the company in time to do this.

I see someone wanted the whole membership to vote on a dues increase. Unfortunately FMCA is not structured to allow the whole membership to vote with the exception of changing the FMCA Constitution. Could you imagine what that mailing would have cost!

7. In order to raise dues ASAP it would have cost approx $180K. It would take approx 5 months for this to happen and in the mean time, FMCA would have to dip into reserves for $1mil plus.

8. 53% of FMCA members have prepaid membership meaning that the dues increase would only affect 47% of the membership right away. Plus there is the possibility that people upon hearing the dues are going up, would rush out and prepay allowing them to get the lower rate.

It was not something taken lightly or fly by night and it was a tough decision to make.

A statement was made in a recent post that FMCA is a "company" which is not true. FMCA is a not for profit which owns FMCMagazine which produces income. Unfortunately, the downturn of the RV market also caused the magazine advertizing to fall off reducing income.

Another statement was made that to attend a convention, you must be a member of FMCA and this is false. Some chapters will also let you attend without being a member at an additional cost. Likewise with area rally's.

I also see that a number of you that posted you are not going to renew FMCA also belong to brand specific clubs, chassis clubs, etc. With your non renewal, you will also loose your membership in the club you belong to if that club is chartered under FMCA.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #33

Official iRV2 Sponsor

With this change, the only reason now that I am an FMCA member is because I can't join the Beaver chapter without being an FMCA member first. IMHO this is a total rip-off. I get absolutely nothing out of FMCA other than the ability to pay another membership fee to the Beaver club. Frankly, the only reason I belong to the Beaver club is to participate in its online forum. We don't want to attend rallies and the magazines of both groups are hardly worth the postage.

I hope some of the manufacturer's chapters of FMCA pay attention. I doubt that I'm going to be willing to pay ~$100/year for too long to belong to organizations that provide very little real benefit.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #34
laj

Yes, I never understood why one has to belong to so many groups to get to the local chapter.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Yes, I never understood why one has to belong to so many groups to get to the local chapter.
Insurance. You have to belong to FMCA so that you may belong to a FMCA chartered club. FMCA provides the liability insurance policy for your club events. There are campgrounds that requires a liability insurance binder before they will let you have a rally there.

If you need more info, I suggest you call FMCA, ask for chapter services and pose your question.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #36

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Insurance. You have to belong to FMCA so that you may belong to a FMCA chartered club. FMCA provides the liability insurance policy for your club events. There are campgrounds that requires a liability insurance binder before they will let you have a rally there.

If you need more info, I suggest you call FMCA, ask for chapter services and pose your question.
It's hard to imagine that the cost of this insurance necessitates ~80,000 FMCA members paying >$40 each. That's an FMCA cash flow of >$3M, a lot more than a liability binder costs. This whole insurance business is a smoke screen to perpetuate the existence of FMCA.

Furthermore some RVers have no interest in FMCA or chapter rallies so justifying my >$100/yr in FMCA and chapter dues on the basis of insurance costs wouldn't interest me even if it were true. Since I know from comments in this and other forums that I'm not alone in my disinterest in rallies, I suspect I'm not alone in wondering why I should continue to get nothing out of my dues except support for activities I'm not interested in.

I guess nothing will happen on this issue until the chapters begin to realize their membership rosters are going down faster than FMCA's. Maybe then they'll consider restructuring so FMCA membership is not a prerequisite for membership in a chapter.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
With this change, the only reason now that I am an FMCA member is because I can't join the Beaver chapter without being an FMCA member first. IMHO this is a total rip-off. I get absolutely nothing out of FMCA other than the ability to pay another membership fee to the Beaver club. Frankly, the only reason I belong to the Beaver club is to participate in its online forum. We don't want to attend rallies and the magazines of both groups are hardly worth the postage.

I hope some of the manufacturer's chapters of FMCA pay attention. I doubt that I'm going to be willing to pay ~$100/year for too long to belong to organizations that provide very little real benefit.

A true WAM IMHO

Ed
Old 09-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

It's a shame that some don't find any value in the FMCA membership, but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Insurance is one, but not the only, benefit of FMCA sponsorship of a chapter. Those that belong only to participate in a chapter should talk with the other chapter members about taking that group out of FMCA sponsorship. Afterall, nobody is forcing the chapter to be affiliated with FMCA and pay dues to the national organization - it's something the original members chose to do. You ought to take a run at it if you feel strongly that your group would be better off on their own.

For my own part, we are satisfied with our membership. We only attend a regional rally once every 3-4 years and participate in just a couple chapters. However, we enjoy the FMCA magazine and get a reduced rate for our Coach-Net membership. Don't need tires right now, but one of these days the FMCA tire discount program will be valuable to us.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote