Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation FMCA giving out personal info(maybe)

I just happened to see a thread topic on the FMCA forum where someone was trying to locate another FMCA member. They stated they had the placard number and wondered what to do next. Someone from membership services posted to give them a call and they could help provide the needed information.

So let me try to understand this. If bad actor "Mr X" calls FMCA with a membership number off a displayed placard, they possibly will give them my name, city of residence, etc. So I happen to be hundreds or even thousands of miles from my residence when they get my number will that give the bad actor "Mr X" and his accomplices the opportunity to help themselves to my "stuff" knowing that I'm not around.

Unfortunately this is a crazy world we live in so I think I'll remove my placard since FMCA indicates they are willing to share my personal information to any phone caller.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jim,
got bad news for you. Your address of record/location has also been available for years each year when they publish the membership book. You can look yourself or any other FMCA member up via name or placard # in the book.

Best,

Bob

ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #3

FMCA? What is that?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #4

That's why you don't use your real name and don't stick that black grill they send you on your coach. Bad enough they throw rocks at you in the RV park let alone trace you down to your home. Get everything from them by e-mail.

What is FMCA? It's the beltway to cheap Michelins.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
FMCA? What is that?

FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.

Family Motor Coach Association.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #6

As said, members have always been listed in the directory, which is also available online IF you sign in with your member ID/PW. Shows name, city, state, member # and RV.

OP said "...someone trying to find another FMCA member" which would imply the asker is also a member and gets the directory every year. Don't think you can get the mag off the newsracks; need to be a member to get it. In which case the office is essentially just doing for the asker what they could do themselves if they had the directory in front of them.

Now the question would be could anyone just call and say "can you tell me who's member # so-and-so" and get the same info? Wonder how much vetting of the asker is done before the info is given out to a caller. Would hope that they are making sure the caller is a member too.

But agreed, might have to rethink having the plaque on the RV.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

Oh geeze.... thanks for the replies.

Another thing I never understood were the people who hang those wood plaques at their sites with their complete names and the state and sometimes even the town they live in. What an advertisement for any criminal passing by. A dead giveaway a house is most likely empty and they now have the address. When strangers in CGs ask me for our names, I never give our last name. Fortunately, most don't ask.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The last member directory I have is 2007. Do they still even publish them?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
FMCA - an over priced club that will make you a target for all kinds of not too good stuff. Since they don't keep member's info to themselves and probably sell the list too -- best to stay away.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurner1 View Post
FMCA - an over priced club that will make you a target for all kinds of not too good stuff. Since they don't keep member's info to themselves and probably sell the list too -- best to stay away.
I'm guessing you're not a member and haven't looked at the benefits?
For $50 a year it's a better deal than Good Sam. The magazine is etter with less advertising. The emergency medical evacuation coverage is worth the price alone.
We get very little snail mail from FMCA and I've never had to opt out like I did with GS.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurner1 View Post
I totally disagree with this. We have never been any kind of target and have never experienced any of our info getting out to anyone. This is a totally baseless accusation.

Don
Old 08-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post

Now the question would be could anyone just call and say "can you tell me who's member # so-and-so" and get the same info? Wonder how much vetting of the asker is done before the info is given out to a caller. Would hope that they are making sure the caller is a member too.

But agreed, might have to rethink having the plaque on the RV.
How about Mr X pays the membership fee and will then have access to the members information. I joined in 2008 and I've never received a hard copy membership roster, however, any member (Mr Nice Guy or bad actor Mr X) can go online and get the info off the FMCA website I understand. There is way too much personal information available online as it is and now for a fee a person can get your name, address and phone number from FMCA possibly.

I removed my plaques yesterday and that is strictly a personal decision on my part. Others will of course have different viewpoints I'm sure and thats okay.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #13

So can the tax man.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
So can the tax man.
What? Join FMCA so he can find me? Unfortunatly for me, every taxing entity has my address.