Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #127

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe there are some hidden agendas at work here.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #128

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I just placed a call to Charlie Adcock, FMCA President. He reaffirmed that the books are open to any member who inquires. He was not aware of the web site denial of access. He promised to check this out & Get back to me next week. When I hear from him I will up date.
That would go a long way towards alleviating my overall concerns. I'm surprised that no one else seems to feel it is unsettling that a supposedly non-profit organization would accumulate millions of dollars in assets which it lived off of for at least several of the past few years. And at about the same time this organization stopped making audited financials easily available to members via the web.

Even though a previous post noted that $40 was insignificant compared to the cost of maintaining a MH, IMHO that's not a justification for giving someone your money without knowing what they do with it. I wonder how many people have looked at the financials that are available for FMCA and for its chapters.

For example, does the average FMCA member know that a non-trivial percentage of revenues of both FMCA and its chapters goes to reimburse officers for travel expenses to rallies? I'm not saying that this is wrong, but I wonder how many people even know it's how some of their money is spent. I don't know about anyone else but when I see chapter budgets for which ~25% of revenues goes for officer expenses I begin to wonder if the "good old boys" aren't fleecing everyone else.

So please tell Mr Adcock that open, transparent records would be a great way for a new Board to demonstrate that FMCA is headed in a new direction.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I believe there are some hidden agendas at work here.
X2 on your hidden agenda comment!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #130

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post

Then my understanding wasn't wrong; FMCA was essentially paying for insurance for the entire membership rather than taking the risk and betting that only a small number would actually need to use the service. Furthermore, because the premium was based on the January membership level which was decreasing each month the premium was grossly inflated. It sure sounds like that old insurance guy had the organization just where he wanted them.

Frankly, IMHO this was poor management bordering on incompetence. But what could you expect from an organization that went for at least a couple of years with huge operating deficits that were being paid out of assets.

IMHO I'd like to see the organization go public with its books; it used to make them available to members but stopped doing so a couple of years ago. The organization has a tax status as a non-profit (but not a 501(c)3); as such I think it owes its membership a clean accounting for how it spends its money. I'm not saying it has anything to hide, but that's all the more reason for going public with its financials.
Please volunteer to become an officer or other function to help resolve the issues.
Unfortunately what I see too often is that those who complain the most are those who do the least to help.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #131

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok, just for the record I'm not a member, I have other options I us. I'm posting not to agree or disagree with anyone, I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm posting just so I'm subscribed to this thread therefore being alerted to new post. This thread is more fun than a cat fight! Ok back to you boys, go!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Ok, just for the record I'm not a member, I have other options I us. I'm posting not to agree or disagree with anyone, I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm posting just so I'm subscribed to this thread therefore being alerted to new post. This thread is more fun than a cat fight! Ok back to you boys, go!
It is fun, isn't it? Welcome to the thread.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #133

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I have found some information to fill in the gaps.
The explaination on MEDEX is here in the Oct 2012 National Directors Report:

FMCA Dogwood Chapter: National Director Report

It includes, "A change to member services was the deletion of the medical evacuation program as a free benefit, at a budget saving of 341,529 dollars. It will be offered as a group benefit, at an affordable cost, to those who desire to purchase it."
Less than the aforementioned $500k.

Notice that the ND report didn't call the program "MEDEX". What he was referring to was another program that FMCA purchased after MEDEX was axed. The $341K program was called FMCAssist.

Trust me, the MEDEX program was $500K
Old 12-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #134

I just read all 133 postings in this thread. I have come to two conclusions.

1. Regarding the time I spent reading; if I worked a job for the same amount of time at minimum wage I would have more than enough money for FMCA membership.

2. I need MEDEX now!

Disclaimer: I dropped my FMCA membership about 7 years ago. My black oval plaque was 31XXXX.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #135

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Please volunteer to become an officer or other function to help resolve the issues.
That is anathema to today's society - I notice that pretty much EVERY post from an "anti-FMCA" person is all about "What can I get out of FMCA" - nobody has yet said "What can I do to make it a better experience?"

And that doesn't just apply to this discussion - it's rampant throughout our daily lives. Everybody's looking for benefits without thinking about responsibilities. It's the definition of the ME generation...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
That is anathema to today's society - I notice that pretty much EVERY post from an "anti-FMCA" person is all about "What can I get out of FMCA" - nobody has yet said "What can I do to make it a better experience?"

And that doesn't just apply to this discussion - it's rampant throughout our daily lives. Everybody's looking for benefits without thinking about responsibilities. It's the definition of the ME generation...
Very true.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #137

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

True but not limited to younger generations, just more prevalent there.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #138

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

Quite simply FMCA is a business that wants my money and has to create a reason for me to want to pay it to them. This has absolutely nothing to do with the ME generation. I don't volunteer at Walmart to make them a better store; I either shop there or I don't. I have no obligation to want to make FMCA a better organization; I do lots of volunteer work for entities all over the US. In this case I simply would like to join an RVing organization that had benefits worth the cost of joining. If the organization can't offer benefits then why should I belong? IMHO there are lots of benefits that FMCA could offer that would make it more valuable to me. For example, if the campground discounts were equal to Good Sam, I'd gladly drop my GS membership, but they are not. MEDEX was a nice benefit, but it's no longer available. The tire discount is nice, but it's a once every 7-8 year thing. Tell me why I should want to remain a remember; sell me on the benefits. I don't like rallies and your magazine is nice, but not worth $40. Tell me what else I get, please.....
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Quite simply FMCA is a business that wants my money and has to create a reason for me to want to pay it to them. This has absolutely nothing to do with the ME generation. I don't volunteer at Walmart to make them a better store; I either shop there or I don't. I have no obligation to want to make FMCA a better organization; I do lots of volunteer work for entities all over the US. In this case I simply would like to join an RVing organization that had benefits worth the cost of joining. If the organization can't offer benefits then why should I belong? IMHO there are lots of benefits that FMCA could offer that would make it more valuable to me. For example, if the campground discounts were equal to Good Sam, I'd gladly drop my GS membership, but they are not. MEDEX was a nice benefit, but it's no longer available. The tire discount is nice, but it's a once every 7-8 year thing. Tell me why I should want to remain a remember; sell me on the benefits. I don't like rallies and your magazine is nice, but not worth $40. Tell me what else I get, please.....
The issue here is in your first sentence. FMCA is not a business, it's a club whose members share one specific fact, they own a motorhome and wish to share some aspect of that experience with other members. If it doesn't fit your lifestyle "just say no", don't waste your time trying to show those of us who do what saps we are.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #140

"For example, if the campground discounts were equal to Good Sam, I'd gladly drop my GS membership, but they are not."

There are campgrounds that do offer the same discount as GS, all you have to do is ask!

You will find there are campgrounds that do not offer a GS discount so do you not stay there?

An interesting point here is the difference between a "business" and an "association". Good Sam is a business that is not a "club" as they claim to be as in "Good Sam Club". No club about it, they are in it for the profit. You as a "club"ember have no say in how the business is run. If it ever folds, where did your $$ go?

FMCA is an association in which all members are equal. If you belong to a club under the FMCA umbrella, you have a vote through your National Director as to how the association is run. If the association ever folds, the remaining assets are distributed as voted by the governing board. Take a look at the governing documents of FMCA here especially Article XXIV in the Bylaws. http://governance.fmca.com/images/st...pdf/bylaws.pdf