Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #169
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Sure 12 cents a day isn't much, but what I see is an organization that claims it's a non-profit that has a several million dollar a year cash flow and a multi-million dollar reserve fund and which has no financial accountability to its membership. I'm not accusing FMCA or anyone in it of impropriety, but if there isn't anything to hide, why are yearly financials not available to anyone but officers?
Docj, read the fmca audit report you linked, thanks. Very good to see fmca at end of year 2011, had a reasonable prudent reserve. Did you read their annual expenses? Wow! Reserve explains why the organization is still around after going through so many tuff years due to our country financial meltdown. No business survives long without strong reserves. Yes a non-profit is a business. Fmca has been faced for last several years with declining membership along with most all RV related businesses. GS and Escapees have suffered as well. Escapees has had a Ĺ price membership promotion that expired yesterday. Hopefully the corner is being rounded and membership is gaining for all.

I think Fmca leadership has worked hard and continues working hard to strengthen fmca. I know they are looking for great suggestions because that is why the officers travel to all the rallies. When management stays invisible a business is doomed to failure. They attend to hear the membership voice. Why anyone would expect these unpaid volunteers to fund from their pocket, fmca business, just flies past me at the speed of light. Best of my knowledge they only get fuel and tolls paid. If reimbursed for more great. Many of the officers have accepted what really is an unpaid full time position to ensure I and others can have a fun organization with many benefits, at little cost to us. I personally have received many years worth of membership due to discounts provided by fmca. Some of the officers get to spend only a few weeks annually at home. Even my local Fly Fishing club and local Kayaking club reimburse fuel expenses for officers conducting club business.

I will be very surprised if fmca refuses to release audited annual financial statements to you if you are a member. Have you asked for them? You accuse them of no financial accountability to membership. Have you attended any fmca general meetings to hear financial report given? Have you filed a request to be heard at a meeting? If not what do you base your statement on? I am just trying to understand what basis you have for such a comment.

Concerning your Beaver chapter of fmca and your dissatisfaction. You do have a choice. The membership of Beaver Club has chosen as a majority to be a chapter of fmca. Fmca did not force the club to join them. Example is Freightliner Owner chapter of fmca. They voted and left last month from fmca and formed their own Freighliner Owners club. Club members no longer must belong to fmca. Perhaps you should attend your Beaver club and put forth a motion to no longer be associated with fmca and another motion that Beaver club form itís own non-profit business.

I have never been an officer in fmca or any other Rv organization. I am grateful we have volunteers to keep organized all these clubs for my and others use if we choose. When I no longer choose, for whatever reason, to be a member I will quietly stop paying dues and fade away quietly with much gratitude for all I received while a member.

2016 Dutch Star 4369
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #170
I believe organizations given non-profit status are required to file a form 990 with the IRS on a yearly basis and are required to have that document available to the public. There are many reasons for not having yearly audits done. That level of financial report is extremely expensive

1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #171

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I believe organizations given non-profit status are required to file a form 990 with the IRS on a yearly basis and are required to have that document available to the public. There are many reasons for not having yearly audits done. That level of financial report is extremely expensive
The magazine - according to the 2011 Annual is a for profit sub of the NFP for tax purposes. I suspect the mag is audited annually and the 501 may not be.

Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote