Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
FMCA is losing members because they're dying off. The older generation who understood that not everything was about them and are not part of the "ME" generation are disappearing.

Have you ever been to an FMCA rally. They start by saying the Pledge of Allegiance before each evenings entertainment begins. It puts a lump in your throat to see the generation that is still proud to be American and proud of what built this country.

"Ray,IN".....I wasn't directing anything toward you, but your last statement about spending $50.00 and not being guaranteed that you'll get that much back or more is sad. Again.....the FMCA program is not about doubling down on your expenditure, but joining a group that loves to RV and socialize.
We haven't been to an FMCA rally (read previous replies) because we were told NO, you must join before you can come to see what we are about.
I'm not looking for a "return on investment" so to speak, merely information. If I was concerned about money that much I would not be RVing, nor own one.
It's all moot now Don, we will not attempt to join again. I apologize for getting testy.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #44

iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with Ray,IN. I'm sure membership is a very valuable and useful thing for lots of people.

Because it is my money, the question is: Is membership a valuable and useful thing for ME and my particular lifestyle?

I also tend to back away from any one that tries to sell me anything "sight unseen." What are they hiding?

Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
I agree with Ray,IN. I'm sure membership is a very valuable and useful thing for lots of people.

Because it is my money, the question is: Is membership a valuable and useful thing for ME and my particular lifestyle?

I also tend to back away from any one that tries to sell me anything "sight unseen." What are they hiding?
The FMCA has been an organization serving its members for over 50 years so if they were hiding something and tricking people to join they would of been out of business years ago. If you visit their WEB site it explains the club and it's benefits. They have thousands of members that benefit from the club. If you are not a club and rally person that is OK if it works for you. I for one like the FMCA and it's chapters clubs and I do not really think about the cost of the dues...it works for me.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We belong to 3 FMCA Chapter clubs and enjoy every FMCA and Chapter Rally we attend. We have the option to attend a Rally somewhere every month if we desire. We also belong to Good Sams and have never attended one of their Rallies. To each his own.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #47

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Summarizing this thread, FMCA's appeal to any particular person may be its rallies, its direct member benefits (tires, etc), its magazines, or the perception that it serves as a lobbying organization for RVers. If you feel that what you receive is worth your investment then maybe membership is for you.

Personally, we don't attend rallies, the tire benefit is little more than what your would save by not paying $50/yr in membership fees, the magazine is largely advertising fluff, and I'm pretty sure that RVIA is a far more effective lobbying entity than FMCA can ever be (money talks).

Quite honestly, the only reason I belong to FMCA is because I can't join an owner's chapter without belonging to the parent group. For the moment, I get enough from that chapter that I'm willing to continue to pay for FMCA, but that means my owners group costs me ~$100/yr which is a lot IMO.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
The DW likes the Good Sam Rallies better then the FMCA's. Maybe because they are larger. I support FMCA as they do their best to promote RVing. I agree with most of the posts here. I know they are doing their best to increase membership, and only time will tell if they are successful. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Personally, we don't attend rallies, the tire benefit is little more than what your would save by not paying $50/yr in membership fees, the magazine is largely advertising fluff, and I'm pretty sure that RVIA is a far more effective lobbying entity than FMCA can ever be (money talks).
Looking at the tire issue - if you're buying Michelin tires you must have some pretty aggressive dealers in your area. We looked everywhere within 50 miles of us and nobody was willing to deal so we went through FMCA - we paid $413.48 per tire for 6 tires. The cheapest price we found looking on our own was $499 - the savings on a single tire paid for our FMCA membership.

Lobbying - the I in RVIA stands for Industry. THey are an excellent lobbying organization for the industry, but not so much for us owners. Try to get help from them whent your city council decides to make it illegal to park your rig in your driveway. FMCA and Good Sam are indeed advocates for the RV owners rather than the manufacturers.

Membership is certainly not for everybody, and that's why we're not forced to buy a membership (unless that membership is for overpriced health insurance, but that's another topic!) - those that can see a benefit will buy in, and those that cannot see a benefit will not buy in. Is one side right and the other side wrong? Absolutely not!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #50

If the tire savings is of interest, I emailed and asked about mine, LT225/75R16 tires, and got a very prompt reply that none of the LT tires were in the program. Still on the fence about joining but I was pleased with the prompt response.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #51

Country Coach Owners Club
There is a BOGO (buy one get one free) until December 31, 2013. Just enter "BOGO50" on your application and get two years for the price of one.

One thing that has not been mentioned about the international conventions is that all the major manufacturers are there. If you have a broke Carefree awning or other brand, need a new windshield, want to buy a new awning, new tires, new batteries, etc., this is the place for one stop shopping.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #52

Thanks Don, but still not interested.
AprilWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #53

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilWhine View Post
Thanks Don, but still not interested.
Hey, no problem. Just don't complain about the dance partner if you haven't danced the dance.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Hey, no problem. Just don't complain about the dance partner if you haven't danced the dance.
If you read the thread, you will see that I paid the dance fee but didn't care for the dance partners.
AprilWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #55

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Looking at the tire issue - if you're buying Michelin tires you must have some pretty aggressive dealers in your area. We looked everywhere within 50 miles of us and nobody was willing to deal so we went through FMCA - we paid $413.48 per tire for 6 tires. The cheapest price we found looking on our own was $499 - the savings on a single tire paid for our FMCA membership.
But you only buy RV tires once every 6-8 years. 8 years of $50/yr memberships is $400 spent in dues to save ~$500-600 on tires. Still a benefit but not nearly as compelling.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #56
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
There is a BOGO (buy one get one free) until December 31, 2013. Just enter "BOGO50" on your application and get two years for the price of one.
Hey, thanks for that one. We had dropped out three years ago and had just decided to rejoin. I called and they gave me the BOGO deal with no problems.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote