Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #1

FMCA Michelin Advantage Buying program/new tires

Thought this would be worth sharing. I am participating in buying 6 new Michelin tires through the FMCA Advantage Program. Ordered them through a participating dealer. The new tires were shipped from the Michelin factory Monday, came in today and the DOT date code (3515) says the tires are about one year old. I was disappointed that I have lost one year already, the dealer understood, but could not provide assistance...said the factory does not ship according to DOT date codes, so I called FMCA AND Michelin. FMCA took my inquiry, did some research. They told me that Michelin says they can sell new tires up to three years old without any concessions or concerns. I then chatted with the warranty dept of Michelin. They took my concern, put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back with more info. They said the same thing FMCA said, up to three years old, but once they are sold, then the clock starts. In service calendar begins towards the 5 year warranty. After 5 years of service, Michelin recommends that the tires are inspected annually thereafter by an authorized dealer until the 10th year of service...then the tires should be replaced.

This 2008 CC is my first motorhome and tires are a big concern. I did a lot of asking about tires on a couple forums and had the impression that RV tires are a 5-7 year (+/-) life cycle. Not necessarily so says Michelin. I am trusting that this should be the only tire purchase for many years. BTW, bought the XZA2 Energy tires and saved over $600 when shopped against two local dealers. Having them installed Friday morning.

gostberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our tires are OEM from when the rig was manufactured. A couple of the tires are dated 2007. Want to replace th but the DW's health needs come first. But if things keep going like they are we won't be able to RV anyway. our tires look great and I think it was stored inside when not in use. Guess I'll know more when she gets out of ICU.
When I got tires on the '02 DSDP the Advantage plan wasn't in effect yet but the price from Superior Tire in Portland OR was good compared to Les Schwab.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #3

We were traveling to Oregon and then on to Alaska for the summer. We wanted to replace all our tires before the long trip. We called Les Schwaab in the Eugene area and ordered them to have ready when we arrived. We specified we wanted all the dates to match and within a 6-month date of age. When we arrived they were ready for us and were only 3 months old. We were mighty pleased! Also...there's no tax in Oregon.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #4

I have blown 2 inner drive 22.5 xrv's on this trip. Dated 09, no signs of wear or checking. Pressure n temp monitors. 1 tire grenades and after 3 hours roadside assistance got me going. Next morning 30 miles down the road the other goes. Learned not to trust tires by looks. All new this week expensive lesson
Old 08-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our tires are OEM from when the rig was manufactured. A couple of the tires are dated 2007. Want to replace th but the DW's health needs come first. But if things keep going like they are we won't be able to RV anyway. our tires look great and I think it was stored inside when not in use. Guess I'll know more when she gets out of ICU.
When I got tires on the '02 DSDP the Advantage plan wasn't in effect yet but the price from Superior Tire in Portland OR was good compared to Les Schwab.
Our coach was stored inside for all but 1 year of it's life...AND had tire covers. The Goodyear 670's looked like brand new for sure, and only 17,600 miles on it. In my research, I was told to check in between the treads for signs of cracking, even tho the sidewalls looked perfect. WOW! I saw cracking, enough to scare me and park it until tomorrow for new tires. I was told by a "tire expert" that the cracking inside the treads was very common on older tires (7+ yrs, mine are 9.5 yrs old), even tho they look perfect. AND...that if you drive in the rain, water can be forced into the cracks and quickly separate the tire. And he said it may not take rain to cause a failure either...ugh.
gostberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I also bought tires through the FMCA Michelin Advantage program. I told the dealer that I would not accept any tires with a code date older than 3 months. Don't know how, but they provided them!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:08 AM   #7

Les Schwab installed 6 new Michelins on my Horizon last week. All were dated 1616 which I found acceptable.
JaminSamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I think the interesting point here is Michelin stated the time clock you should watch for considering replacement started when the tires were put in service, not based on the date code.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I was told by a "tire expert" that the cracking inside the treads was very common on older tires (7+ yrs, mine are 9.5 yrs old), even tho they look perfect. AND...that if you drive in the rain, water can be forced into the cracks and quickly separate the tire. And he said it may not take rain to cause a failure either...ugh.
The G670's have a 7 year warranty on cracks. Michelin has 0 warranty on cracks.
I replaced my G670's last year at 10 years 3 months old with no cracks for another set.

The Michelin XRV's I had before did a zipper blow out at 4 years and 6 years with a lot of cracks.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #10

over the road owner operator for 35 yrs. i understand the problem here and want you to know you really dont want to run old tires on your rig. ive seen what happens when tires blow out front tire blow out and man all heck breaks loose. buy new for front every 5 yrs and if need be put the fronts on the inside rear for 2 more not my cup of tea but i know tires arent cheap. never been a fan of retreads and never used them on my trucks but on rear thats a way to save a littlle money. you are light enough to run them and they shouldnt shear. you know gator in the road. again not a fan of retreads and i wouldnt use them but some of my friends had real good luck with them on rear axle.always get first run retread if you buy them.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Triker56; I beg to differ with you about Michelin not having a warranty on tire cracking. I just replaced in April of this year, 6 side wall cracking, 275/80Rx22.5's, XZA-3's, and Michelin picked up about 80% of the cost on new tires, and the old tires was made in 2011. I got their new line of tires X-Line Energy-Z, "H" rated tires made in Canada and they were only 2 weeks old when put on my coach.
D Lindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I also bought tires through the FMCA Michelin Advantage program. I told the dealer that I would not accept any tires with a code date older than 3 months. Don't know how, but they provided them!
I to wanted the freshest tires i could get not something off of the rack. My local truck tire shop called michelin in the carolinas and all 6 were no more than 3 months. I did have to wait a few weekbut well worth it.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I think the interesting point here is Michelin stated the time clock you should watch for considering replacement started when the tires were put in service, not based on the date code.
My feelings also Tom.....
Old 08-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Correct!

Tags
tires