Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by droneb View Post
I also just had 6 235/80R 22.5 XRV installed using the FMCA discount. The dealer 3 miles from my storage building gave me a quote at just over 3k. When I got the invoice from Michelin it was for 300 less. I was expecting to pay around 3 anyway and don't know if I could have shopped all over and saved some, but I really don't think so. This was the first time this dealer had participated in this program and I was very pleased. Good service close to home. From my experience I WOULD recommend this program and feel this is a good perk from FMCA.

Now if we can just get out and wear some rubber off these new tires!!

Bobby
If your total was around $2,700 that is an excellent price. My trip to Costco got me into the same tires for around $2,550 but I only balanced the fronts and I had to haul my tires accross the street. So depending it can be a wash.

As with any major purchase we are better to shop around and find a pleasing deal. For me it is not always the best price there are other factors; convenience, buying local, dealer loyalty, trust, repeat business etc;

The value of this site is a new person buying these big tires for the first time (me) can get a range of options, and a place to start. Which I did; it was very helpful.

When it comes to FMCA, the topic of the thread, the experience varies by dealer, by locale, by personnel, and I suspect that is true of almost every vendor. I did not use it but certainly do not criticise.

Suffice it to say when you are shopping for tires FMCA is an excellent source to investigate along with many others.

And the best idea I have read so far is let's burn some rubber off the tires on these rigs. Happy travels.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
As stated, you don't know the price until it is over and the program kicks in.

How much for the bridge?
You can get the price from FMCA bofore you buy, the only variable will be the dealer charges. So you do, in fact, know beforehand.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I need tires, I need tires and I don't want to spend a lot of time shopping around. Call three places and if the prices are all basically with $20 of each other, pick one you will be satisfied with and go with it because all the other found prices will be in the same ball park. My time is more valuable to me the calling 50 places to find the best price. Plus, I like one close to home.

FMCA doesn't regulate the price. It is all handled through Michelin. FMCA is just a means for the program.

I'm satisfied with the tire prices of about $480 a tire including FET/taxes. All the other expenses were dealer expenses. Michelin sent me a file with a breakdown of items and all was in order.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You can get the price from FMCA bofore you buy, the only variable will be the dealer charges. So you do, in fact, know beforehand.

This must be a timing issue, didn't happen then, but happens now.

Last year when I called twice and ask both FMCA and Michelin the price was not to be determined until my paper work was delivered to Michelin by the installing dealer. After the tires had been installed.

Now the website has a listing of "common prices" not the price, but still had I been able to see that list then I may have proceeded. The list, however, is a great addition to the program.

The other problem I had was that the closest dealer was fuzzy about how to work the problem so another call to Michelin netted me a dealer about 110 miles from me. Not worth the drive. But I live in Seattle not exactly remote; I expected better dealer representation.

The Costco price was a little better, guaranteed before install, did not flutuate over a four month time, and the tires were two weeks old. They called, at my request, to make sure for me. Costco is about five minutes from my home.

I'm not claiming one over the other just commenting that in my shopping around I found Costco to be the most satisfying situation, to me personally irrespective of anyone elses experience.

The buying decision is based on many factors, price being one factor.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #20

I was just quoted $720 a tire which includes balancing and installation for Goodyear 275/70R 22.5. Have to change out all 4 in the back. Changed out the front 2 winter 2011.

What are your thoughts about moving the front two to the back and putting two new ones on the front? Front 2 have about 2500 miles on them.

Thanks
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #21

I JUST finished this scenario.....need 8 xrv 305 70 22.5...
Called Michelin for their price....$586 plus tax and $40 FET each tire plus install and hassle.....shopped around and found a range of $6100-$7300 out the door with NO Michelin help....went back to the lowest guy and he took $500 more dollars off for ca$h....so I'm getting them for a TOTAL of $700 each out the door....it's less than the FMCA deal...plus my dealer wasn't going to do the Michelin deal because he only gets credit on the tire sale....no money...only what he would make on the install....I don't blame him.....I definitely got a good deal at today's horrible prices...
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gator Jim:
I replaced my steer tires earlier this year. The program worked as advertised. I save about $120 per tire from the "discounted" price being offered from several dealers. Get a tire manufactured date before signing the deal. One place was going to sell me tires almost 18 months old!
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The final FMCA Michelin Advantage Program invoice is in. This is invoiced directly from Michelin and it totals $630.72 per tire. So for all of the above discussions where the price of a tire was over this amount - to bad - should have gone with the program.

Seriously, my bottom line was $1261.43. I guess the add number is because of tax round-ups. So, I'm happy. That's what counts for me. That number included everything. I did not have to fork out on penny at the dealer's. Thats for unmounting and mounting, taking two tires off the front and putting them on the rear and the two new ones on the rear. Balancing and all the other trivial things that tag along with tires.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
My quote for XZA3+ EVERTREAD 275/80R22.5 LRH $521 + $34.59 FET. $30/tire to mount and $30/tire for balancing. Aluminum valve stems - $10/tire.
Awanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgosselin
I was just quoted $720 a tire which includes balancing and installation for Goodyear 275/70R 22.5. Have to change out all 4 in the back. Changed out the front 2 winter 2011.

What are your thoughts about moving the front two to the back and putting two new ones on the front? Front 2 have about 2500 miles on them.

Thanks
Changed all my tires and took a short trip to Phoenix and came home the back way through Vegas. Put about 1200 miles on them and I am very happy. Ride is a lot smoother.

mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote