Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm another FMCA member. I read their magazine once a month and occasionally go to one of their rallies. I don't use the services as much/often as many do, but I feel it's important for people to participate in an organization that fights and does good for the RV industry.

It's kind of like being a union member, you may never need the union's services, yet you enjoy when they get the members a raise.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I initially joined for the tire discount program. I too really like the RV Assist program, but, Like Don, I think they are good for the RV community!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would be willing to pay higher membership fees to keep FMCA as it is. Even if I had to subsidize the travel assist feature. It's the same thing as belonging to a golf club. There's always assessments with them, and it's usually good for the members.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
"Membership is expected to vote to approve opening membership to all RV owners at the FMCA National Convention in Indiana this July. Right now the charter says it is for motor coach owners. "

Only partly true. The governing board will vote to approve the changes to the articles of incorporation. Remember that the membership voted to allow changes to be made. That ballot was in the magazine and it had to be returned to be counted. Out of over 70,000 members roughly 700 actually returned a ballot! If it is approved, that is the first step.

In Indy the GB will be voting on proposed changes to the bylaws and the constitution at this meeting. If the changes to the bylaws are accepted, those changes will go into effect immediately. For the bylaws changes to carry, there must be 65% yes vote of those voting. This is the second step.

The changes to the constitution will be voted on by the governing board and if the are accepted, then the entire membership will again vote to accept the new constitution. The ballot will most likely be in the September magazine. You must vote either way if you want to be counted. Only those votes returned will be tabulated. This is the third and final step.

If you want towables vote that way. If you want to remain a motorhome association, vote that way.

There is no "Chicken Little" aka the sky is falling if we don't let towables in. Lots of misinformation has been floated to scare people into voting for towables. It is simply not true.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #19

Personally while I have nothing against towables, if they are admitted to the FMCA, then I think that any motorhome specific legal advocacy will end shortly thereafter. It is simple math, there are many more towables on the road than motorhomes, so if membership opens to towables the towable owners will likely quickly outnumber the motorhome owners. And while we are all RV owners when it comes to legalities and therefore legal advocacy there are many differences between self powered motorhomes vs towables, see the great variety of drivers license requirements across the US for motorhomes as one example, something that generally does not apply to towables.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #20

I've been a member for many years and think it is a great organization! Proud to be a member, and proud to display my "goose eggs"!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Things may change with the addition of towables, but I think it's a matter of survival. There just aren't that many people joining versus those moving on to the big RV in the sky.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #22

I personally don't see towable running to join an organization that costs $60 when they can get Good Sam for $20.

Little piece of info. If you have ever belonged to FMCA and then bought a towable, you are still eligible for membership. I have seen numerous towables with the egg on the back. Totally legal.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I see that FMCA has an affiliation with Passport America. Does that mean a discount on Passport America dues?
I would also like to know the deal with PA. Anyone Know?
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #24

FMCA now has a special but you must call membership section to get the dues discount with the rally reservation.
I just joined 2 weeks ago. Friends have asked me to join for several years now, so now I have an F number-awaiting my "egg" in the mail. Med-Assist is our main reason for joining but we have many more.
I'm registered for Indy, this will be our first FMCA rally, and my Mechanic friend said there will be over well over 2,000 coaches there.
Shoot, it all those coaches line up on I 69 they will stretch to my house.

The largest rally we've ever attended was SMART national musters, those are about 300 rigs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:53 PM   #25

"I'm registered for Indy, this will be our first FMCA rally, and my Mechanic friend said there will be over well over 2,000 coaches there."

Just so you are not disappointed, I seriously doubt there will be over 2,000 coaches there. I would guess closer to 1200
Old 04-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
"I'm registered for Indy, this will be our first FMCA rally, and my Mechanic friend said there will be over well over 2,000 coaches there."

Just so you are not disappointed, I seriously doubt there will be over 2,000 coaches there. I would guess closer to 1200
I won't feel so overwhelmed now. Really, that's a low number out of total membership, especially with this big decision looming.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was seriously considering joining if its only for motor coaches. Ill wait and see how the vote goes.
markarbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by markarbogast View Post
I was seriously considering joining if its only for motor coaches. Ill wait and see how the vote goes.
Every member has a final vote, the ballot will be in the magazine. The board can only recommend changes to bylaws.