Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
 
smlranger's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 7,273
Blog Entries: 1
Fogged window repair, vendor recommendations

We have about 3 fogged thermopane windows on our coach. I have always heard that Suncoast in Hudson, FL was the place to go to get those repaired. In fact, we had an appointment there last week but due to an unexpected health issue for me, we did not make the Florida trip.

Two large RV dealers in NC have highly recommended RV Glass Repair in Greensboro, NC which is only a 2 hour drive from us. I talked with them and they seem capable, a family glass business since 1961. I believe they offer a 2 yr warranty on repaired fogged windows.

So, I am looking for anyone who may have experience with the glass repair folks in Greensboro. I think Suncoast offers a longer warranty on their repairs but we just don't have any plans to travel to FL in the near future, unless we decide that is really the better option.
__________________

__________________
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,712
I've read some folks are happy with their repairs by The Fog Doctor in AL. I don't know personally.
__________________

__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
greystroke's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,150
If you drive to FL, a lot of people use

Suncoast Designers | RV Window Repair, Custom Windows Designed and Built in Hudson, FL

I have heard good things about their work. They might be able to tell you where your closet dealer is if you call them.


SORRY Didn't see that you posted about them
__________________
98 Endeavor DP, ISB275
RX300, Falcon II hitch, BB Vantage Select
VMSpc, 2002 Grey Ford Powerstroke
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We have about 3 fogged thermopane windows on our coach. I have always heard that Suncoast in Hudson, FL was the place to go to get those repaired. In fact, we had an appointment there last week but due to an unexpected health issue for me, we did not make the Florida trip.

Two large RV dealers in NC have highly recommended RV Glass Repair in Greensboro, NC which is only a 2 hour drive from us. I talked with them and they seem capable, a family glass business since 1961. I believe they offer a 2 yr warranty on repaired fogged windows.

So, I am looking for anyone who may have experience with the glass repair folks in Greensboro. I think Suncoast offers a longer warranty on their repairs but we just don't have any plans to travel to FL in the near future, unless we decide that is really the better option.
Suncoast has a 5 year warranty, but it's prorated. It covers full repair the first year, 80% the second, 60% the third and so on.

Suncoast is good, but the additional warranty isn't worth driving all the way to Florida for. Hopefully, you'll get good reviews on the place in Greensboro.
__________________
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Suncoast has a 5 year warranty, but it's prorated. It covers full repair the first year, 80% the second, 60% the third and so on. Suncoast is good, but the additional warranty isn't worth driving all the way to Florida for. Hopefully, you'll get good reviews on the place in Greensboro.
Suncoast's warranty is now up to 10 years. Of course the above still applies. If Greensboro is a good alternative that would by great.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
EDALLSAILS's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 727
We / ALL those with fogging windows should raise cane with the MH mfg.'s and the supplier of the windows. Spending over One hundred thousand dollars for a MH and inheriting these windows is nutz! I've had one window fixed for 347 bucks. Yet I have 7 or maybe 8 more windows. I have called Thor and complained and they had the gall to say this is the 1st time they ever heard of any problems with the HEHR windows. When I'm ready to trade to a new MH you can bet that I will not purchase any MH whose MFG has HEHR windows. every time I see a post on fogging windows I make note about that MH and Brand. they will all be on my NO Purchase list. I'm going to make repairs on a small window myself. the Butyl Tape is only about 6 or 7 bucks for a 1 x 20 ft roll. Polishing the glass isn't a big deal. Unless glass is etched which happens in only a small number. sealing the upper part of the window on reinstallation is the important part. When I do the window I'll take pictures of each set and put on IRV2. it is because of the GREAT info on this site that I am going to attempt to do a fix myself... safe travels... ed
__________________
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
We / ALL those with fogging windows should raise cane with the MH mfg.'s and the supplier of the windows. Spending over One hundred thousand dollars for a MH and inheriting these windows is nutz! I've had one window fixed for 347 bucks. Yet I have 7 or maybe 8 more windows. I have called Thor and complained and they had the gall to say this is the 1st time they ever heard of any problems with the HEHR windows. When I'm ready to trade to a new MH you can bet that I will not purchase any MH whose MFG has HEHR windows. every time I see a post on fogging windows I make note about that MH and Brand. they will all be on my NO Purchase list. I'm going to make repairs on a small window myself. the Butyl Tape is only about 6 or 7 bucks for a 1 x 20 ft roll. Polishing the glass isn't a big deal. Unless glass is etched which happens in only a small number. sealing the upper part of the window on reinstallation is the important part. When I do the window I'll take pictures of each set and put on IRV2. it is because of the GREAT info on this site that I am going to attempt to do a fix myself... safe travels... ed
Funny, the only Hehr window in our coach is the escape window, and it's the only dual pane window that hasn't fogged. Every other dual pane window has fogged.
__________________
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Suncoast's warranty is now up to 10 years. Of course the above still applies. If Greensboro is a good alternative that would by great.
I stand corrected. We were just there for our third time, and I didn't even read the warranty this time because I thought I knew what it said from our previous 2 stops.

If Suncoast can have that much confidence in their process, why can't the OEMs do a better job? Our first windows fogged when the coach was less than 2 years old.
__________________
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,712
I was told the dual-pane RV windows are simply two panes of glass, not made like household vacu-sealed windows, and the reason they leak is the gasket fails at some point from coach flexing. Sounds like SunCoast is doing something right. We'll be in FL this winter, humm, gonna call them while there.
I was going to fill-in the name/email address box on their website, but FireFox NoScript displayed a warning of a hidden(clickjacking) script, so I closed their website.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
smlranger's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 7,273
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks guys for the feedback. In speaking to the folks in Greensboro, they seem to know their stuff. They tell me that if the inside of a thermo pane glass has been 'fogged' too long, the film is sometimes impossible to clean off. In those cases, the only alternative is to replace the glass which they can do with DOT approved glass. Their warranty is 2 yr pro rated on repair if the glass is only fogged and 5 years pro rated if they have to replace glass. They estimate $425 per window fogged repair, $525 if they have to replace glass. However, my coach has a bronze tint glass that they are not sure they can match if the outer glass has to be replaced.

A former CC tech, Kevin Waite, recommends RV Glass Solutions in Coburg, OR. They do a lot of CC and Monaco glass repairs. Since we do plan to travel to Oregon next summer when I retire, we may just wait and have it done there. I'm hoping they might be better able to match our existing glass tint should some of the exterior glass need to be replaced.
__________________
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
so47's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 332
If you are going west, I recommend RV Fog Dr. In Searcy, AR. I had 5 windows done. Less than $1200.
__________________
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
smlranger's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 7,273
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
If you are going west, I recommend RV Fog Dr. In Searcy, AR. I had 5 windows done. Less than $1200.
Can you tell me what kind of warranty they offer on their repairs?
__________________
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
TurtleKent's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 492
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Thanks guys for the feedback. In speaking to the folks in Greensboro, they seem to know their stuff. They tell me that if the inside of a thermo pane glass has been 'fogged' too long, the film is sometimes impossible to clean off. In those cases, the only alternative is to replace the glass which they can do with DOT approved glass. Their warranty is 2 yr pro rated on repair if the glass is only fogged and 5 years pro rated if they have to replace glass. They estimate $425 per window fogged repair, $525 if they have to replace glass. However, my coach has a bronze tint glass that they are not sure they can match if the outer glass has to be replaced.

A former CC tech, Kevin Waite, recommends RV Glass Solutions in Coburg, OR. They do a lot of CC and Monaco glass repairs. Since we do plan to travel to Oregon next summer when I retire, we may just wait and have it done there. I'm hoping they might be better able to match our existing glass tint should some of the exterior glass need to be replaced.
As I recall from two years ago, Suncoast was charging about $200/window. A couple of windows would more than pay for a trip to Florida and some fresh seafood.
__________________
Kent & Sue & Pecos
2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
Formerly 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
so47's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Can you tell me what kind of warranty they offer on their repairs?
2 years. Since mine lasted for 6 I was comfortable with that. Sun coast has the best ( pro-rated ) warranty.
__________________

__________________
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
repair, window



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.