Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #15

We just bought 2 - 6 or 8 (?) speed folding bikes on Amazon. I believe they are Xspect, or something like that. We paid around $170.00-$180.00 per bike. We like them fine, but we are not avid, long-distance bikers. So, for our purpose, they work, and the hauling of them is so much better. My seat was horribly uncomfortable, so I replaced the seat with a seat from a bike shop-$50.00...so much better. DH likes his seat just fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #16

Folding bicycles are found at yard sales in RV parks during winter. I bought 2, one never ridden, while wintering in Ft. Myers. The man said price was $50; I gasped a bit and said "each of course", he replied no, $50 for both. They are in the MH basement all the time.
I have no idea if/when we'll ever ride them again. DW may never fully recover from the auto accident which destroyed her left knee.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Picked up a nice new Raleigh folding bike this spring cheap from a closed bike shop auction. It rides pretty good and folds up nicely so it will fit in a compartment. Haven't had the occasion to use it yet as we usually take the mountain bikes which go in the trailer with the Harleys when we go on longer trips.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #18

We can echo the experience with the Camping World bikes. We got two of the 12 speed folders, rode then in campgrounds a few times and sold them within a year. One big problem is the weight. I don't remember how many pounds they weighed, but they are HEAVY! They also don't get much smaller when they fold; the design is bad so that they just fold part way and don't fit well into a bay.

The short wheel base and nearly vertical steering angle make the steering quick and jerky. Add in the fact that the small diameter wheels don't give much gyroscopic stability to the steering and you get a recipe for falling off your bike. Ask us how we know. Or don't, please.

There may be some good folders, but be careful and check them out closely.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
We can echo the experience with the Camping World bikes. We got two of the 12 speed folders, rode then in campgrounds a few times and sold them within a year. One big problem is the weight. I don't remember how many pounds they weighed, but they are HEAVY! They also don't get much smaller when they fold; the design is bad so that they just fold part way and don't fit well into a bay.

The short wheel base and nearly vertical steering angle make the steering quick and jerky. Add in the fact that the small diameter wheels don't give much gyroscopic stability to the steering and you get a recipe for falling off your bike. Ask us how we know. Or don't, please.

There may be some good folders, but be careful and check them out closely.

Tom

You nailed it for sure Tom!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
How about standard bikes with quick disconnect wheels ?
That might save a lot of space when stored...

That can fit in the back of the 4 door jeep toad even !
Old 07-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
I've been thinking about a folding bike. Something that will fit in a bay. I just want to be able to ride on street and hard dirt ride for 10-20 miles. Are the 20" models reasonable and comfortable for this kind of ride? Any brands/models that you would recommend? Looking for a bike in the $200-$400 range that is compact, relatively light weight, and durable.
Here's why folding bikes can be pretty darn handy:

A folding bike will have at least a $200 premium, so a $400 folding bike will be about the equivalent of a $200 regular bike, which is not a really great bike.

The Dahons that SSTraveler posted about look pretty decent, but they're pushing $600. As noted, you get what you pay for.

You might also look into a brand called Tern. The company was started by the son of the guy who founded Dahon. And Bike Friday, of course, but $$$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I agree with the above comments. My wife and I had folding bikes and I would not recommend them for any distance over 5 miles. I didn't find the stability bad, but the pedaling effort is too much for long distance. Also, they won't handle biking trails if you are into that.
It depends on the bike. Camping World sells cheap heavy folding bikes that aren't fit to the customer. Riding any cheap heavy bike that doesn't fit will be a challenge, regardless of tire size.

A folder and a regular bike of similar weight and quality of components can be geared to pedal remarkably the same. If the bike fits, there's no reason a folding bike would be okay for 5 miles but not for 100 miles, or even more. People use quality folding bikes as touring bikes all over the world.

Take a look at the map at our website:

DEBCAR "Rollin' on 20s and 27.5s" Mountain Biking Reports and Log

All the rides between 2006 and August 24, 2013, were on a folding bike. About half of the miles were on pavement, including one ride of 100 miles and another of 110 miles on the bike paths and streets of Denver, and rides routinely in the 20-30 mile range.

About half of the miles were on dirt, including real mountainbike trails. Some evidence:

These were obviously not Camping World folding bikes, but they most definitely are folding bikes with 20" wheels. And trails like this are not what these bikes were made for, and they took a real beating.

But it shows that folding bikes shouldn't be dismissed out of hand for rides of 10-20 miles on streets or hard dirt.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
I bought an Adventurer six-speed folding bike from Camping World last year. I have not been able to fold it to take it along on camping trips. So it sits in my apartment. Short of bashing the hinge with a sledge hammer, the darn thing won't fold.

Otherwise, it rides nice.

Have you tried, After releasing the fold lever, Raise the lever up, and it will release the catch pin. The guy at CW showed me that. By the time I got to try it, I totally forgot all about it. Then I saw the sticker that showed raise lever. DUH.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I'd be looking for a rack solution to bring a real bike along.
Folding bikes are real bikes. And some are quite good for rides of several miles and some people ride them considerable distances. As with most other things capabilities vary between examples.

We previously owned Giant folders and now own a couple of Citizens, the Miami model. They are very well made at the price point, fold easily and both fit in one of the storage compartments of our 34' Tiffin Allegro camper. No sweat.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1465 View Post
Have you tried, After releasing the fold lever, Raise the lever up, and it will release the catch pin. The guy at CW showed me that. By the time I got to try it, I totally forgot all about it. Then I saw the sticker that showed raise lever. DUH.
By golly, it worked on the FIRST try!

Thank you very much!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #25

I even bought a pair of Strida folding bikes. They were ok around the campground but not practical for any distance. They rode around in the storage bay for about two years and I finally took them out and hung them in the shop. I put a two bike receiver bike rack behind the Jeep and carry our Treks. It's actually easier than unbagging and unfolding the Strida's.