Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #1

Folding bikes

I enjoy riding my urban bicycle, and packed it along during our last trip. Problem is that I can't fit it in the basement bay with other things (golf clubs, BBQ) that are already there. It traveled inside of our 4DR Wrangler. I don't want to hang it from a ladder rack or put a bike rack on the toad.

I've been thinking about a folding bike. Something that will fit in a bay. I just want to be able to ride on street and hard dirt ride for 10-20 miles. Are the 20" models reasonable and comfortable for this kind of ride? Any brands/models that you would recommend? Looking for a bike in the $200-$400 range that is compact, relatively light weight, and durable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm an avid cyclist and can't imagine being happy with a folding bike. I suspect if all you're doing is pedaling around a campground they'd be OK ... but if you're planning to do any real riding (which 20 milers would qualify as ...) I'd be looking for a rack solution to bring a real bike along.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I'm an avid cyclist and can't imagine being happy with a folding bike. I suspect if all you're doing is pedaling around a campground they'd be OK ... but if you're planning to do any real riding (which 20 milers would qualify as ...) I'd be looking for a rack solution to bring a real bike along.
I agree. We have folding bikes and as stated, they are fine for around the CG but can not imagine any long distance travel. Also, I find them harder to steer than a standard bike.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #4

Another agreement with 'not for long distance riding'.
They're great for a quick Point A to Point B ride, as long as those points are too far apart. But for a nice long ride to enjoy the scenery they are less than ideal. Their short wheelbase makes them very wobbly - actually they are just VERY responsive to any sort of handlebar movement, but it feels like wobbling when you're sitting in the seat.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #5

I have a pair of the older 3 speed Dahon bikes and a pair or the 6 speed bikes from Camping World. They are usable and take them when no real long distances are planned. I use full size hybrid bikes when that is an option.

The Dahons fold up smaller than the CW bikes. The 12 speed CW bikes have 12 speeds and 22" tires, but good luck finding replacement tires.

Bottom line, the folding bikes are way better than nothing and I agree with keeping any bike properly stored.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #6

I agree with the above comments. My wife and I had folding bikes and I would not recommend them for any distance over 5 miles. I didn't find the stability bad, but the pedaling effort is too much for long distance. Also, they won't handle biking trails if you are into that.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #7

We have two Dahon folding bikes, bought some years ago from Camping World. Agree that these types are probably not suitable for long rides, but don't reject the folding concept out of hand. With the OP's budget max of $400, I bet there is a suitable bike in the market. Check out "Adult Folding Bikes" on Amazon. They have a folding mountain bike with many speeds, and large wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #8

DW and I each have a Dahon folding bike we used on our boat. They are great for quick rides to the grocery store and such. We have used them on one 20 mile ride but probably not best for that distance, but doable.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #9

CW often has their models on sale for half-price. Not a bad deal at that price.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One thing to know about the Camping World bikes. You can't buy parts for them from the manufacturer! Of course some parts, chains, etc., might be available from any bike shop.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #11

I've noticed a recurring brand: Dahon. A local bikes shop (LBS) stocks the Dahon. I will stop by and give one a test drive. Did the same thing (went to a LBS) when I purchased my first Cannondale road bike oh so many years ago. Current bike is a Cannondale Hybrid (getting too old to use the drops). The upright riding position suits me better now.

As Space Norman said, I may not be satisfied with a folding bike. But, I will never know until I get in the saddle and start pedaling.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought an Adventurer six-speed folding bike from Camping World last year. I have not been able to fold it to take it along on camping trips. So it sits in my apartment. Short of bashing the hinge with a sledge hammer, the darn thing won't fold.

Otherwise, it rides nice.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #13

I bought one of the military style 26" folding bikes and it works great and easy to fold and store. Can't remember the brand name but it's some thing like montague??
Old 06-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #14

I did a lot of research on all types of folding bikes and test rode many and the Dahon bikes are hands down the best riding bikes I have ever had. I selected the Dahon Mariner 7 speed because it weighs less than 25 lbs, treated to resist salt water locations, had fenders and a carry rack, Dahon Mariner D7 - Brands Cycle and Fitness. I found the best price and free shipping from Brands Cycle in NY. But when I called they said they were out of the D7 but would give me the Dahon PU M8, Dahon Mu P8 - Brands Cycle and Fitness, an eight speed with an air pump built into the seat and would install fenders for a price of $20 more. It weighs the same and came in 2 colors, so we could tell them apart so I ordered 2 and absolutely love them. I have rode them easily 10 miles at a time, even more. I added an inexpensive schwin gel seat cover and bought a carring bag from ebay for around $25, New DAHON Cycling Bicycle Bike Folding Carrier Carry Bag 14"-20" Mountain Holder. Watch the ones at Camping World they weigh more then 35lbs and are not as smooth and comfortable to ride. You get what you pay for!