Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
For crying out loud....

do something with these highways!!! I just came back from trip to Florida, 1200 miles round trip, South Carolina should have there section of I-95 listed as a torture test for motorhomes. I thought the cabinets would fall off the wall. How is it that they have time to get out there and spray paint around all these crumbling sections of highways but not repair them? I rode over miles of broken, collapsing sections that were all outlined in bright pink paint, but never saw a crew doing repairs anywhere in the state. I guess the reason gas prices are so low there is because they do not collect enough taxes to maintain the roads, but these are interstates so where is the federal government on this.

I am not a construction engineer but it is apparent to me one of two things in going on here, either the roads are not built to handle the load of the trucks driving in the right lane, or the trucks are overloaded for the capability of the road ways. I tried, whenever possible, to drive in the left lane to avoid damage to my MH, as I have to do on Hwy 17 south between Georgetown SC and Charleston.

Another obnoxious section of highway is in Jacksonville Fla, where the newly paved highway is just like an old washboard road, the over passes and bridges were brutal. And, THESE ARE NEW.

Don't even let me start on Viginia, NJ or NY..... I won't even drive there any more.

Congrats to Georgia, entire stretch of I-95 is in exemplary condition with very few exceptions, the occasional bridge approach being the exception.

Now home with all sorts of new squeaks and rattles.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I know that stretch of 95 in SC you are referring to. It's the southern end, near the GA border. You are right, it is pretty bad.

Our roads were never designed to handle the loads they handle today and they show it. I recall when I was lad in elementary school, conventional wisdom said the population of our country was somewhere around 200 million. Today, it's 300 million+.

There are too damned many people here.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
X2, but there's also the political aspect to it all. No monies have been allocated for maintenace or new anything. Go vote in November if you really care.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

Yep. They have come in there calling themselves fixing the hole but not the problem. That section of I-95 is concrete. The same concrete poured in 1974 to be exact. They have started to patch the holes but the roadbed still has cave in so the new patch also cracks. To make it worse, they don't mill the patched concrete. Their secondary roads are almost as bad.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
There should be plenty money in the kitty for road repair etc, howsomever, your political folks, and the rail roads are robbing the highway trust fund for their own private use. Amtrack was never expected to be a revenue generating unit, it was a political thank you for the union and convenience of a few travelers.
mho
Dave M
Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
If we only had 800 billion dollars for shovel ready projects our highways would all be improved.
Stimulus Bill Gives 'Shovel-Ready' Projects Priority : NPR

Seriously, in Florida the I-10 roadbed was not up to par and the concrete slabs began "rocking", next huge project was to drill several holes at the end of each and every slab and inject concrete to stabilize the bed, didn't quite work so they shaved the concrete smooth for it's entire 350 mile length, a little better but still had to pave over the concrete, which now made a nice roadbed. Only took over 2 decades ....
Something about doing it right the first time...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #7

It seems EVERYTHING is built by the lowest bidder. So what you get is inferior workmanship because of cost cutting.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
I want Genset to tell us why there should be plenty of money for road repairs? Which state(s)?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #9

Consider in our neck of the woods we have two seasons. Winter and Construction.

Our personal sightings have always been on any construction/road repair project done near us, you have to have at least 8 folks standing around looking at the hole, 2 or 3 guys leaning on shovels, 3 or 4 sitting in their trucks and maybe one machine operator looking close to moving eventually, and maybe one guy with a shovel/rake doing 3 strokes then needing a rest and chat with the others for a while = Rinse and Repeat.

I kid you not, we see it day after day after day and worse.

Can you imagine how fewer taxes we'd need to pay if they were paid based on actual production (LOL).
Old 09-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The gas tax that is collected is not put in the "road repair" bank account. I t goes in the general fund and when that gets low they stop fixing the roads. Good Government for the people, by the people. Maybe the rules need to be changed??
OK, off the soap box, your view may vary. Good luck on your travels, I have something more important to worry about....Now where were we going ????
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
What is your tire air pressure??

BTW, GA's highways are in good shape because GA raised their fuel tax a few years ago. Now SC is the low fuel tax state. That tells me something about road conditions which is supported by your observations.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
IMHO states intentionally do minimum maintenance till the road is so bad the Feds step up to fund 90% of a rebuild.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
It seems EVERYTHING is built by the lowest bidder. So what you get is inferior workmanship because of cost cutting.
Not so. Yes the contracts are let to the lowest Qualified Bidder, but they must meet the same specifications are someone who bids the highest. No difference. A contract is a contract is a contract. Now a contracting authority can write a good contract or a poor one. They are also responsible for enforcing the contract.

Quote:
mccsix IMHO states intentionally do minimum maintenance till the road is so bad the Feds step up to fund 90% of a rebuild.
This has been true from time to time. But not necessary a bad thing. With a resurface project only a few problem areas qualify for funding. But a reconstruct project you are free to correct everything you can afford.

Quote:
99-Am.Star The gas tax that is collected is not put in the "road repair" bank account. I t goes in the general fund and when that gets low they stop fixing the roads. Good Government for the people, by the people. Maybe the rules need to be changed??
OK, off the soap box, your view may vary. Good luck on your travels, I have something more important to worry about....Now where were we going ???
Every state handles the collection for road tax differently. Some states all the tax money goes into a protected road fund.

Quote:
Hooligan If we only had 800 billion dollars for shovel ready projects our highways would all be improved.
Stimulus Bill Gives 'Shovel-Ready' Projects Priority : NPR

Seriously, in Florida the I-10 roadbed was not up to par and the concrete slabs began "rocking", next huge project was to drill several holes at the end of each and every slab and inject concrete to stabilize the bed, didn't quite work so they shaved the concrete smooth for it's entire 350 mile length, a little better but still had to pave over the concrete, which now made a nice roadbed. Only took over 2 decades ....
Something about doing it right the first time...
There are many ways to repair concrete slabs. Jacking, stitching, crack and seat, rubblizing the existing concrete or remove concrete and replace with something. Each has its place. However if you engineer the wrong repair system bad tings will happen. I've been on many crack and seat projects with good success.
Asphalt highways can have problems, but repairs are usually much cheaper and involve a lot less time and impact traffic to a lesser degree.

OK, back to my retirement bliss....Darn where did that large pot hole come from?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Rumor here is the contracts and inspections are done by the guy that owns the orange barrels.....

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote