Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Okay ladies, wondering what your preference is in shaving while RVing (and no fair if you don't nee
Electric 5 9.26%
Navy shower - shave in shower 33 61.11%
Use bathroom sink and shave whenever 8 14.81%
Campground showers 1 1.85%
Don't bother 7 12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #15

I use hair conditioner or lotion to shave with and the sink. Have to shave legs only about twice per week and ...ahem...other parts more frequent. Hair conditioner is non-irritating and makes for a silky shave and we normally have it on hand anyway. I then use a damp face cloth to wipe off excess, with lotion no need!
JJJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #16

Location: Living my imperfect todays rather than waiting for my perfect tomorrow...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JJJoy:
I use hair conditioner or lotion to shave with and the sink. Have to shave legs only about twice per week and ...ahem...other parts more frequent. Hair conditioner is non-irritating and makes for a silky shave and we normally have it on hand anyway. I then use a damp face cloth to wipe off excess, with lotion no need! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's pretty much what I do except I use baby lotion...same thing, soft & silky. Oh, and more than twice a week is needed during shorts weather, more like every other day.
Froggi Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:39 PM   #17

set up in MH was neat.....sit on commode, prop legs on tub and I could rinse razor in sink. I used the foam, worked out real nice cause I would get a shower then. This is only if in summer...other times I'm Amish

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #18

Personally I have been using an electric Remington for years, mine is purple with gold plated heads for sensitive areas, you girls know what I mean. I also use a Braun Silk-Epil. Remember the epilators from the 80's that ripped the hair off your legs in chunks? Same idea but modernized. I have very thick dark hair and shaving has always been an issue. Since I have more time while camping I like to use the Epil. It's a little uncomfortable the first time you use it but the hair grows in so fine and sparse the times after that are a breeze. They say eventually the hair doesn't grow back at all.

2004 Suzuki SV650S
Lisa G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #19

Please don't take offense to the following but I had to share this one. I was crying with laughter by the end of it, imagining the possibility of it actually happening.

Waxing
This has to be one of the funniest and most God-awful scenarios I have ever heard of... Bless this woman!!!

All hair removal methods have tricked us with their promises of easy, painless removal. The epilady, scissors, razors, Nair and now.... The Wax!!

My night began as any other normal weekday night. Come home; fix dinner; played with the kids. I then had the thought that would ring painfully in my mind for the next few hours; "Maybe I should pull the wax out of the medicine cabinet?"

So I headed to the site of my demise; the bathroom. It was one of those cold wax kits. No melting a clump of hot wax, you just rub the strips together in your hand and then they get warm and you peel them apart, press it to your leg (or wherever else) and hair comes right off!

No muss, no fuss. How hard can it be? I mean, I'm no girly, girl, but I am mechanically inclined enough that I can figure it out. *YA THINK!!!*

So I pull one of the thin strips out. It's two strips facing each other, stuck together. Instead of rubbing them together, I get out the hair dryer and heat it to 1000 degrees. Cold wax my rear end (Oh, how this phrase haunts me!). I lay the strip across my thigh. Hold the skin around it tight and pull.

OK... So it wasn't the best feeling, but it wasn't too bad. I can do this!!! Hair removal no longer eludes me!! I am She-Ra, fighter of all wayward body hair and smooth skin extraordinaire!!

With my next wax strip, I move "north". After checking on the kids, I sneak back into the bathroom for the ultimate hair fighting championship. I drop my panties and place one foot on the toilet. Using the same procedure, I apply the wax strip across the right side of the bikini line, covering the right half of my who-ha and stretching down to the inside of my butt cheek (Yes, it was a long strip). I inhale deeply and brace myself.... RRRRIIIIIIPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

I'm Blind!!!!! Blinded from pain!!!!!!... OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Vision returning, I notice that I've only managed to pull off half of the strip. S**T!! Another deep breath and RRIIPP... Everything is swirly and spotted. Do I hear crashing drums????? OK, back to normal. I want to see my trophy - A wax covered strip with my hairy pelt that has caused me so much pain, sticking to it. I want to revel in the glory that is my triumph over body hair. I hold up the strip! There's no hair on it!

Where is the hair?? WHERE IS THE WAX? Slowly I ease my head down, foot still perched on the toilet. I see the hair... The hair that should be on the strip. I touch. I am touching wax. S**T!!! I run my fingers over the most sensitive part of my body, which is now covered in cold wax and matted hair.

Then I make the next BIG mistake . . . . . . . Remember, my foot is still propped up on the toilet. I know I need to do something, so I put my foot down. ****!!! I hear the slamming of the cell door.

Who-ha? Sealed shut! Butt?? Sealed shut!!! I penguin walk around the bathroom, trying to figure out what to do and think to myself, "Please don't let me get the urge to poop. My head may pop off."

Hot water!! Hot water melts wax!! I'll run the hottest water I can stand into the bathtub, get in, immerse the wax covered bits and the wax should melt and I can gently wipe it off, right?? *WRONG!!!!*

I get in the tub - The water is slightly hotter than that used to torture prisoners of war or sterilize surgical equipment - I sit. Now, the only thing worse that having your nether businesses glued together is having them glued together and then glued to the bottom of the tub. In scalding hot water!! Which, by the way, doesn't melt cold wax. So, now I'm stuck to the bottom of the tub!!! God bless the man what convinced me I should have a phone in the bathroom!!! I call my friend, thinking surely she's waxed before and has some secret of how to get me undone. It's a very good conversation starter, "So my butt and who-ha are stuck to the bottom of the tub!" There is a slight pause. She doesn't have a secret trick, but does try to hide the laughter from me. She wants to know exactly where the wax is located on bottom, "Are we talking cheeks or hole or what?"

She's laughing out loud by now... I can hear her. I give her the rundown and she suggests I call the number on the side of the box. YEAH!!! Right!!!!!! I would be the joke of someone else's night. While we go through various solutions, I resort to scraping the wax off with a razor. Nothing feels better then to have your girlie goodies covered in hot wax, glued shut, stuck to the tub in super hot water, and then dry shaving the sticky wax off!!!

By now, the brain is not working, dignity has taken a major hike and I slip into glazed donut land. My friend is still talking with me as my hand reaches towards the saving grace... The lotion they give you to remove the excess wax. What do I really have to lose at this point. I rub some on and OH MY GOD!!!!! The scream probably woke the kids, scared the dickens out of my friend, but I really don't care!!

"IT WORKS!! IT WORKS!!" I get a hearty congratulation from my friend and she hangs up. I successfully remove the remainder of the wax and then notice, to my grief and despair... THE HAIR IS STILL THERE... ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I shaved it off. Heck, I'm numb at this point.

Next week I'm going to try hair color . . . . . .

2004 Suzuki SV650S
Lisa G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #20

I know this topic was started over a year ago, but I just found it!
It IS harder in a MH or TT......and if you don't have the garden variety type shower, then you'll either have to take up yoga or use an electric. But for those that use a razor........
I discovered the other day that if I exfoliate with a foot scrub before shaving my legs, that I get the CLOSEST and nicest shave EVER! And my legs don't flake afterwards. Age and dry climate cause that! And yes, as we get older, we shave less. BUT, I have one area of my left leg that grows DARK hair!!! And I've always had blond leg hair!!!! Go figure!
dshultz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:55 AM   #21

Don't bother

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Froggi Donna:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Well, watch out, we have lurkers here. My shaving techniques were brought up and discussed at regional rally campfire!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Lisa G... I am laughing so hard I'm crying!!! That is hysterical (to me... cause I didn't experience it!). Thanks for sharing, and for having a sense of humor... think we've all experienced something similar!

Brenda
Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Brenda...
I know what you are talking about when you say you were laughing so hard! DH was in the other room when I became half-hysterical. He had to come out to see what I was crying about - he did laugh (or was it a little more than a chuckle?) .. anyway - he laughed - but did not have tears streaming like me!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #25

I use a Remington electric razor (wet/dry kind). I have found that I get a closer shave if I use pure aloe vera gel (no fragrance, no alcohol) on my legs first. I rub against the hair growth pattern. This helps the little hairs stand up better. Then I let the aloe dry (this doesn't take long, I just finish using the aloe gel on the rest of me as a moisturizer). Then I shave using a light touch. The gel keeps the hairs stiff and allows for a closer shave. The gel also helps with dry skin (normally I have a problem with dry skin) and also helps heal up any scratches, bug bites and other skin irritations. Also if you get a rash from shaving your "bikini line" area, smooth some pure aloe gel on the shaved area after shaving.

I've been buying bottles of pure aloe gel at Wal-Mart in a 2-pack... cheap! Sure beats buying moisterizer and works better than the Olay Quench!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:13 AM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Oh LisaG, I hadn't read your account of your "experience" before my last post here! OMG, I have been thinking of using wax with some skepticism but now NEVER! Who-ha glued, butt cheeks glued! Yikes! Well it will be interesting to see if your story comes up at our next campfire?? Thank you for the wisdom of your experience.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:41 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
I haven't logged on to this thread in a while, but had time this morning to go back through and read the posts.

I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING! Lisa G...you go girl! Only us ladies know the full implications of such a traumatic ordeal. It's horrible to go through in person and yet those of us reading it can sympathize to the eenth degree...why? Because we've been there!

On this dreary Sunday morning here in Texas, you've brought a ray of sunshine to us ladies...we're all in the same boat!

Now that we've got a handle on what "to do" and what NOT "to do" - does anyone have any ideas on how to handle....what I call.... "hag hairs"???

That which I feared the greatest has now come upon me

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #28
jmo

I had heard waxing story before but always funny. Are hag hairs on the chin and neck? If so I call them whisker hairs. Waxing works, come back but take longer. Tweezers next best I guess. I use the short edge on electric razor but know that is not recommended. I'm careful only to give a quick shot here and there to the one wiry hair I don't want a beard growing in

Kate

jmo is offline   Reply With Quote