Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #1

For The Curious/Our Budget, 6 Mos as Full-timers

With the hope it will help those pondering full-timing or be a tool for others already on the full-time adventure, I just thought I would share our costs for our adventure since embarking on this journey in April. While I respect those who keep financial info confidential, I am indifferent and hope the insight helps one make a more informed decision. We are middle of the roaders--not much boondocking, not many high end resorts.

Here is the link. Feel free to bounce anything back to us or request any kind of clarification.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Read your budget and clarifications. It would be interesting to see how many of us full timers are like you folks in that respect.

With a few variations, we certainly fall into the same budget. But we have never kept a budget like you have. With social security & retirement income fixed it's easy for us to figure out our expenses each month, just look at the balance at the end of the month. We are in our third month of full timing. Sold the bricks, mortar, wood, furniture, everything. Bought a 28 ft car hauler to pull behind. Great closet for my wife. It's my work area and many cave.

I see you guys have not traveled the southeast any. Living is less expensive down there. Especially, in the winter can you save on your budget with warmer temps. Campground's have nice spaces for the $400-600 per month range. You can certainly spend more at some high end resorts.

Thanks for the info.

Dave
Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for posting.
For someone like us that dreams of fulltiming, it gives us an idea of real world cost.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #4

Hey Hallock5. Thanks for the latest budget. I read the first one you published at the 3 month mark. It's all very interesting and helpful. My question is.....how in the heck do you eat for $350.00 or so a month? I'm amazed. We eat out some, about 3-4 times a week, and still spend around $450.00 on food. I'm definitely doing something wrong!!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it will be very helpful both for those contemplating and already on the road full time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
My question is.....how in the heck do you eat for $350.00 or so a month? I'm amazed. We eat out some, about 3-4 times a week, and still spend around $450.00 on food. I'm definitely doing something wrong!!
I don't know how wide-spread this may be, only reference is Oregon. Almost every major population area (including pretty small) has a Sr. Citizen Center when they do 'hot lunches.' Again, just here, but the suggested 'donation' was $2.85 for a full on meal if you were 65 ("full price," what ever that was if under). And I do mean a full meal, desert included.

Vollied as a Asst Cook for 2.5'ish years here in Medford and we put out an average of 1,000 meals/day. Monthly menu went out so folks would know (Sr Center/Meals on Wheels) what was up and coming. All the meals were out the door by 0830 and on their way to the sub-set distribution sites in Jackson and Josephine Counties. A tad too early in my opinion but the folks knew the logistics involved far better than me.

Anyway, back to the point. Would travel out to the meal centers a couple times per month and had a ball. It was called "Food and Friends" and it was all of that.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post

I see you guys have not traveled the southeast any. Living is less expensive down there. Especially, in the winter can you save on your budget with warmer temps. Campground's have nice spaces for the $400-600 per month range. You can certainly spend more at some high end resorts.

Thanks for the info.

Dave
As u can see by our blog travel map, headed your way in 6 weeks--leave a light on!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
Hey Hallock5. Thanks for the latest budget. I read the first one you published at the 3 month mark. It's all very interesting and helpful. My question is.....how in the heck do you eat for $350.00 or so a month? I'm amazed. We eat out some, about 3-4 times a week, and still spend around $450.00 on food. I'm definitely doing something wrong!!
Groc and eating out 2 different categories, eating out=Entertainment line item. $95 a week +/- has never been a challenge, incl sticks/bricks living, for grocery store run.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for posting this. You guys are very fiscally disciplined. I hope that I can get to that point some day.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thoughtfull of you to share - thank-you.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for sharing! My wife wants to FT, but I can't quite give up the home yet, maybe some day! Good luck, have fun, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick
Kinda interested in this category as well. Since January.....9 mo. ending Sept.....we have spent $7,416 ($823p/mo.) on groceries and $3,588 ($400p/mo) on cafes/restaurants. Didn't really appreciate how expensive all those organic vegetables, free range hormone free chickens and decadent cappuccinos had become!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #13

H..5 tnx for sharing. Your experience, as well as some of the others who posted, pretty much mirror ours. Campsites, fuel, food and entertainment are expenses that bust the budget. Our budget guidlines: don't pay for fun, there's lots of FREE things to do, eat in, never eat out (except for special occasions), weekly grocery sales, take advantage of local farmer's markets, and it's cheaper to park than travel. If we can help w/the SE drop us a note. Take good care. PB
Paul & Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks for sharing! My wife wants to FT, but I can't quite give up the home yet, maybe some day! Good luck, have fun, and God bless!
Have you considered closing the house and hitting the road for a year or so? Even for 6 or 9 months? I would not sell our house and land unless I tried going FT for at least a year.