Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #1

Ford E-350 Starting

I hope this question is not out of line on iRV2, but you guys usually have some good ideas.

I have a 2003 Ford E-350 van that has begun to have a starting problem. About a month ago it would not start for maybe 15 minutes. The engine would turn over, but not fire. When it finally started, it ran, and runs, fine. In the past week or so, it has had the problem more and more often, usually when i have gone away from home. Last evening at home I could not get it to start for about 10 minutes, but when I turned it off, it started immediately thereafter. I made one stop, and it started with no problem. I then made a second stop and it would not start for maybe 15 minutes.

As I said, once it starts, it runs great and it has never quit once it starts. One thing I noticed last evening was that the volts gauge dropped when I was trying to start it. I don't recall if that is a normal thing or not. It does not seem to be heat related since it would not start at home yesterday after sitting for a day. Whether it starts or not, it turns over quickly, so it doesn't appear to be a battery condition problem.

After describing the problem, I have an appointment to see the Ford Dealer Service Dept tomorrow. I was asked if the theft light was lighting when I had trouble starting it. I didn't know it had a theft light, but it must not have lit. There's a blue light on the dash that indicated the security has been set, but that is only visible from outside the van. Maybe a totally separate problem, but my brake light has been coming on momentarily when I start up from a full stop. Related? I don't know.

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any suggestions or things to watch for when I take it in tomorrow.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #2

It sounds like it could either be a security problem or a fuel pump problem.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #3

Is it gas or diesel?? I had a diesel and had the same problem. Solenoid to glow plug warmer was bad.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #4

Gas.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
my money is on fuel pump.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My money is on the glo plug relay. I reside in a warm area and had occasional problems. Went to a nice cool area for Thanksgiving and had the major problem of NO START. A quick check showed that the glo plugs were not getting the required 12v THRU the relay. $66 and about 15 minutes later all was well. A very common problem.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltoneMagoo View Post
My money is on the glo plug relay. I reside in a warm area and had occasional problems. Went to a nice cool area for Thanksgiving and had the major problem of NO START. A quick check showed that the glo plugs were not getting the required 12v THRU the relay. $66 and about 15 minutes later all was well. A very common problem.
Good luck and safe travels!
It's a gas engine.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #8

I took the E-350 in to the Ford dealer yesterday. They called today to say they can't get it to fail. Every time they try to start it, it starts. One techie want to try one more test, but if nothing is found by noon tomorrow, we will pick it up and hope it runs throughout our vacation.

Thanks for your ideas, and if anything turns up I will report back.

Tags
ford