Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

Ford Triton 6.8 Experience?

Finally upgraded from the old Rattle Bang ('97 21' class C gulfstream, 5.4 ford engine) to a new 26' Winnebago class A. It has a 6.8 triton ford engine. The salesman says 10 mpg (which is good for our old Rattle Bang) and of course he says it's the best engine in the world. We will be towing a honda fit and we haven't towed before.
These are old question - what is your mileage, how is the power level, any issues? We did 16,000 great national park and family miles so far this year and gas by far is our greatest expense but reliability is primary.
Any feedback/experience stories/information will be greatly appreciated!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

The salesman tells the customer what he thinks they want to hear. While I am a Ford person and the engine is a terrific engine you will expect to be somewhere ( depending on your driving habits and the weather and terrain, in the 6.5 to 9 mpg.
I did remove the entire exhaust system after the warranty and had a local dealer install a complete 3 inch flow through system. and it improved HP as well as torque but did little to better MPG.
I travel at between 60 and 65 mph on cruise.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #3

Its the most common class C engine in the last decade(I know you have a class A). The engines are reliable, and only have a few known issues that only impact a few users. I owned a fleet maintenance company that maintained many of these engines, and the track record was superb.

It should be a sizeable improvement in power over the 5.4.

I'd forget 10mpg and avoid the dissapointment. Its the only place the salesman may have been off. 10mpg may not be impossible, but most get lower. Typically the folks in the V10 10mpg club go 60 mph or less or fall on the short end of the RV market. The good news is, the mpg likely won't be any lower than your 5.4 since it is stressed a little less.

Congrads on your new RV!
Adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Your V10 has plenty of power and will be very reliable with proper maintenance. Our Bounder will be 2 years old in November; we generally average 6.5 - 7.5 MPG towing a Jeep Wrangler and have not had any issues.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm doing 7.5-8 in a 35 footer (35' 9") on a 22k pound chassis not towing. My last bare weighing was 18,160 with full fluids, me & the DW, and no cargo.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My 31' V10 MH gets a consistent 8.6 mpg pulling a Wrangler, over 9mpg without. I generally do not cruise above 62ish mph. I suppose its is possible that a 26' unit could get quite close to 10.

Keith
Old 07-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
34' A, pulling a 3500lb trailer and get 7.5 to 8 mpg. Generally run 62mph. Since your's is new, it will be several thousand miles before engine breaks in and mileage gets to where it will be. That V10 will run circles around that 5.4 and you will love it. As others said, your shorter length and lighter weight might yield a bit better mileage. I would never expect anything better than 9.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #8

Thanks to all, good information. I will be happy with 8 mpg, our poor little Gulfstream (aka Rattle Bang) averaged 9 mpg - 7 in wind, 10 on easy pulls.
Will also enjoy a bit more power for pulling the toad. Looking forward to getting back on the road in a NEW RV (Rattle Bang 2 or R2B2 as my wife calls it). After 2 years and 25,000 miles finally realized it is the lifestyle we enjoy.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Once you get out there and use it, let us all know how it goes! Happy Trails.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #10

I just bought a Winnebago Vista 26 HE with the V-10, weighing in at 14,500 lbs; I get 8.5 to 9.0 without a toad. It has power enough for me on the eastern mountains, the Rockies will be tested next season.

The 5th wheel I just traded was pulled by a 2002 F-250 V-10. It had 205,000 on the odometer when I traded it. It handled the Rockies okay towing the 10,000 lb. 5th wheel. Never had a problem with the engine or transmission. It should have been improved in 11 years; I will probably wear out before the engine.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a big fan of the Ford V10. I've had 3 of them, one class C and two Class As over the past few years. The first, an '04 31 ft Class C, got the best gas millage. Worst trip got 7.5 and best was 11. The second, an '11 Clasa A was the worst on gas. Never got more that 7. The current which is a new '13, I got 7.9 on the first and so far, only trip towing an '07 Focus.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford