Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #1

Ford V10 exhaust manifolds

I'm assuming from reading comments on the web regarding warped exhaust manifolds on Ford 6.8 litre V10's , that other Rvers have had similar experiences and we're surprised to find out how wide spread the problem is and that Ford will not warranty the repair beyond the standard 36 month warranty. Is anyone aware of a class action suit regarding this repair or possibly an unpublished warranty that Ford may offer to recover the replacement of the warped manifolds and defective studs?
jeffmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not aware of any lawsuits regarding warped manifolds.

The problem is not limited to Ford, my GM 8.1 has been in the shop three times for them.

If I had my life to do over the first time I had a warped manifold I would put on aftermarket manifolds....Banks or Thorley.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know anything about that but noticed you are new on the forum and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
no warranty or other coverage, just one of those things owning a vehicle. I haven't had mine done yet, but my truck only has 140K (for a 2000 model year).

My brother is a ford Tech, he sees them periodically, but not more than any other truck with assorted issues.
The John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum.

I replaced broken studs on mine last years. I decided to install headers rather than re-install the manifolds.

F53 – Repairing broken exhaust manifold studs – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Replace them with quality headers such as Stans or Doug Thorleys.
Copper gaskets and heat tape in appropriate areas and you'll never go thru the nightmare of replacing Fords fdup manifold broken stud bs again.
Oh, buy lots of aerokroil and mapp gas, you're gonna need it.
And beer, lots of it too.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the first time I've heard of Ford V10 manifold issues. Could this have been a problem in the early years of the V10, kind of like the sparkplug spitting thing, or is it indeed happening with newer engines?
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
This is the first time I've heard of Ford V10 manifold issues. Could this have been a problem in the early years of the V10, kind of like the sparkplug spitting thing, or is it indeed happening with newer engines?
Not sure what years were problematic.
We spent an entire week doing replacements on a friends 2009? Winnebago, not fun at all. Almost every stud broke off.
I tend to think it's more how the engine is designed to run 4500 rpm at 100% injector duty cycle pulling a grade. A exhaust temp pyrometer would be a good idea. Same friend actually mounted a cheap GoPro knockoff under the hood. Both manifolds were glowing red pulling Snoqualmie Pass with a vw bug in tow. Personally I dislike the noise they produce and wouldn't own one if I had room for a garage full of em. But that's just me, and my 40+ years of mechanic trade talking. Don't get me wrong, they will pull like no tomorrow, but I think Ford needs to go another direction on their gasser game.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are three components to the broken stud issue.

1) The OEM stud used a stainless that was prone to rust and corrosion and the stud gets eaten away, weakening the stud.

2) The rear of the manifold (cyl 5 and 10) sees significantly more heat than the front part of the manifold because the exhaust from all five cylinders flows out the rear of the manifold.

3) The exhaust system literally hangs by the rear most exhaust studs. any vibration, bouncing etc all are felt by those rear studs.

New studs eliminate problem #1. Headers eliminates problem #2. And a flex joint isolator eliminates problem #3
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, ford, v10