Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest service needs your help

While boondocking in coconino NF in AZ. over laborday there were 7 campfires left without being extinguished, all within a 2 mile stretch of forest, trash left all over the forest and even some camping equipment abandoned.
I called the forest service and they quickly sent a crew to extinguish one near us and clean up the mess.
Luckily we had the license plate number and vehicle description for them.
I guess what I am saying is get involved in protecting our camping areas, report violations and help clean up if you can. It's your tax money that pays for it all so please get involved.
I'll get of my soap box now, needed to vent.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
While boondocking in coconino NF in AZ. over laborday there were 7 campfires left without being extinguished, all within a 2 mile stretch of forest, trash left all over the forest and even some camping equipment abandoned.
I called the forest service and they quickly sent a crew to extinguish one near us and clean up the mess.
Luckily we had the license plate number and vehicle description for them.
I guess what I am saying is get involved in protecting our camping areas, report violations and help clean up if you can. It's your tax money that pays for it all so please get involved.
I'll get of my soap box now, needed to vent.
I concur. I also report when I have something to report. Not always the case so I just clean it up if I can and go. And always put the fire out---dead out.

Years ago while boating on Lake Powell I pulled into a very remote area of the lake and found a beautiful beach--miles up the Escalante----completely littered with trash and beer cans. The majesty of this place completely soiled by unthinking people.

It is not too much to ask to pack out what you bring in. That is pretty much all it takes.

Cleaned it up myself as is my practice. The fact is that not everyone deserves access to our places of natural wonder---just can't tell before they arrive if they will respect it or not.

Thanks for reporting--the fines are not great enough I am sure---and offenders are rarely caught.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #3

Good for you! We jeep, dirt bike and ride horses in the backcountry. I carry a trash bag and frequently stop to take care of whatever I can. Don't be afraid to police the area... or our community!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I'll get off my soap box now, needed to vent.
Please don't get off the soap box. We need more RVers to do the same. I always make a point to leave a site, wheather boondock or RV park, cleaner that when I pulled into the site.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #5

I agree

We also found a week ago and again over Labor Day weekend campfires smoldering in the Roosevelt National Forest. Last year in the fall we didn't dare go camping due to all the forest fires in our area. This year in Colorado it has been wetter so hopefully there won't be so many. Given the publicity the fires get I'm amazed to find folks not putting out their fires.

In the first instance we pulled into a site to check it out and were shocked to see smoke coming out of the fire pit. No one in site to report so we put it out with water from the stream 10 ft. away. They could easily have put it out.

In the second instance we had seen the campers on the first day. The next day we walked by their site but they were gone and we did not see any smoke. A few hours later we were walking back by to our campsite and there was a ton of smoke coming from the fire pit. We went to investigate and their large log had flamed back up due to the wind. There were red hot embers underneath it. I wish we knew their license plate to report them. We used up the rest of our hiking water and my husband brought water back from our camper to put it out. No excuse for these folk as their was also a river nearby or they could have smothered it with dirt.

I know folks love their campfires but it seems that not enough people know how to extinguish them. I'd rather they ban them then us get caught behind a fireline in our RV with the only way out on a dirt road blocked by a fire. When I was a kid we were taught to drown the fire and I still do that. Wish every one did.

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
And people wonder what AZ has been cracking down on squatters.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #7

I have a spigot mounted in the outdoor shower box to connect a garden hose to. In dry weather we keep the hose close to the fire.

I live right between two state parks. It amazes me how much garbage either gets tossed or flys out of pickups and boats when people leave.

No respect.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
And people wonder what AZ has been cracking down on squatters.
: thumb::t humb:
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is amazing just how lazy some people are. Since I bought a MH, my grandsons now go camping with me and their duties are to police the site before we leave and assure it is cleaner then when we arrived.

The first time I gave them this task they ask why? I expained and showed them a site with trash all over it and ask if they would like to camp there. They both said NO WAY Grandpa, so I ask then then why should we leave our site in such a condition that the next party could say NO WAY about staying there. They are still not happy about police duty, but they are learning and I do it with them so they see it is not just a kid task, but everyones job.

I also volunteer with my State Department of Natual Resorces to protect and keep our outdoor activities spots clean and useable by the general public, even thought a lot of them are self centered pigs..
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #10

Up here in The Angeles National Forest you can't have campfires anymore just for this reason. Does'nt mean they don't have campfires though. Lots of trash also.

Mark

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been to Burning Man quite a few times. I really learned to 'leave no trace' and make sure when I pull out, no one could tell a camper was just there. My kids weren't to thrilled to clean up either, but as the got older they understood better the necessity of leaving everything as nice as possible. I really wish everyone felt the same, it's such a sad situation to see all the trash left. I usually camp where campfires are not allowed, so I haven't seen campfires left burning. But when we do get to have one, I flood it with water and break it up to make sure there is no hot coals when it's time to leave.
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
As someone who lives here in AZ Thanks for calling we need all of us to do the same to protect what we love.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #13

We were in a private RV park in Brown County. Indiana this past weekend, it was jammed with partyers (is that a word?) anyway, we were among the last to leave and I noticed a campfire had been fanned back to flames by the wind(actually noticed smoke first). I notified the office and they said they would extinguish the fire and bill the site occupants for the cost of extinguishing the fire. "It was the only way they could combat stupid". Owners words, not mine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #14

it's good to hear that so many here are so responsible with our great outdoors

Here in Alberta, I learned very early on to not only clean up before leaving, but to keep it clean while we were there. We tended to camp in areas heavily populated with bears and such, and a messy camp is all the more inviting. I still practice this and have taught it to my kids as well.

I have volunteered years previous with local groups to go out after long weekends, especially after May long, to help clean up. It's absolutely amazing what is left behind, from camping equipment to couches!

Some years, I almost wish they would close the random camp areas for May long weekend. Now they regularily enforce fire bans on these weekends which does help curb some of it, but not enough people are getting the message, and too many of them are still refusing to respect what others cherish so much...

Midnite-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service