Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #1

Forgot about the TV antenna

Hi all, we just had our first trial run with our new toy hauler RV. After reading about all the awesome RV campground checklists you have provided, I still managed to forget about the dang TV antenna. As you can vaguely see, it's still up. Luckily, a friendly fellow RVer ran up to let us know before we took off.

Rookies.

I should have known better than to plan this on a daylight savings weekend as we were rushing to beat the checkout time. I guess practice is key.

Also, for all of you with little ones, how do you prevent them from pushing open the screen door? It seems those little plastic latches are soo weak. I'm thinking about adding some sort of sliding bolt lock.

Thanks for looking!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It has happened to the best of us. Fortunately repair parts and kits for batwing antenna's are a DIY item. Before departure, always do 2 walk arounds of your vehicles. One looking forward and down and the 2nd, looking up for antennas, trees, wires, etc. There are many methods for pre-departure checks - formal checklist to leaving stickys to clothes pins with words on them, i.e. Antenna, power cord, water hose, padlocks, etc.

There are a variety of kinds of baby safety gates that can be used across the front of the screen door/entrance from the inside.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:00 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a class A but it would still work. Put a set of keys you need on the antenna when you put it up. You can't leave without getting the keys and therefore putting the antenna down.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #4

I always blame it on my Wife!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #5
Community Administrator

I wrap my CB mic wire around the steering wheel and DW always does a walk around checking jacks , slideouts , water, elec ,and sewer connections as well as both tv and sat antennas. You need to develop a system that will work for you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sure it's happened to about all of us and if it hasn't yet it probably will sometime down the road. I'm fortunate with this coach, it has a light on the dash that indicates it's still up.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I have a class A but it would still work. Put a set of keys you need on the antenna when you put it up. You can't leave without getting the keys and therefore putting the antenna down.
X2, best method I have used. If you are using your truck while the trailer is unhooked, use something bright cloths pinned to the steering wheel.

I still use the keys on the antenna crank and now a bright orange card cloths pinned to the steering wheel for the satellite dish. Plus a through walk around looking up and down. It's amazing what "the kids" can sometimes leave behind.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:38 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I always blame it on "brain fart". I did it once, without damage, then had a small sign made that I clip to the steering wheel so I will not forget.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the checklist!
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #10

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I always blame it on my Wife!
I'm going to hang a bright tag on the steering wheel stating "Do Not Blame Wife", then I'll never forget anything!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #11

To prevent the screen from being pushed open, by our little dog, we used the hook & eye, just below the "slide', so we could slide it open, reach in and "hook/unhook".
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #12

There is a rule that unless you have not lowered your antenna and pulled out of a campground site and heard those famous loud screams and people runnig towards you waving there arms at you to stop ............ you are not officially an RVer !
Also remembering to lower the vent cover before you leave the campground when rain is predicted.......... you are not an RVer !
Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RVminders: Safety warning system for RVs

Antenna Saver - Four Corners PY-011 - Antenna Accessories - Camping World
Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #14

They have an antenna clip that I leave on the antenna and then clip to stering wheel area that reminds me to lower and put back .
Debbie
dbt803 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna