Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
TLGPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CLEARWATER, FLORIDA
Posts: 728
If you drive it very much, the outgassing will accelerate and diminish pretty soon.


As for getting the chemicals out with an air purifier, a filter with charcoal will adsorb the gasses from the air.


Tom
__________________

__________________
Tom & Jan ---- Westwing43
RVM28
2005 NEWMAR KSDP 3910 NOW PULLING A 2014 CHEVY CAPTIVA
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
HighwayRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 293
And according to the manufacturer in the link provided: "this purifier removes both particulate and gaseous contaminants, including, bacteria, viruses, germs, mold, mildew, pollen, pet dander, odors, tobacco smoke."

We will probably have a small HEPA filtration device going in our new fulltime rig. Hopefully will keep allergies to a minimum, especially when trying to sleep.

Roy
__________________

__________________
Fulltimer Class of Late 2015, with my bride, Lori.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #17
Member
 
GypsyYears's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
And according to the manufacturer in the link provided: "this purifier removes both particulate and gaseous contaminants, including, bacteria, viruses, germs, mold, mildew, pollen, pet dander, odors, tobacco smoke."

We will probably have a small HEPA filtration device going in our new fulltime rig. Hopefully will keep allergies to a minimum, especially when trying to sleep.

Roy
Although formaldehyde "out gasses" its not on that list. I would check specifics for that purifier or call the manufacture and see. Filters tend to list EVERYTHING they get rid of because it shows the efficiency of the machine.

A HEPA filter would be awesome - good luck!
__________________
'04 Brave // Full-Timers working towards Homesteading
Tasha & Joseph and the fur kids - Dukkha and Buddy (woof!) <3 Lady With A Hippie Heart <3 Please follow my Adventures @ https://gypsyyears.wordpress.com/
GypsyYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,700
There used to be a website claiming a 100% wool blanket would absorb formaldehyde and eliminate it from a room forever. For some unknown reason, that website is gone now.
Another website claims a wool blanket treated with formaldehyde has anti-bacterial properties, and will not smell of formaldehyde.
Bottom line_ IMO, using the tried and true method of airing out the RV works best.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:07 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Tony Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peru heading for Brasilia, Brazil
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Many people are also prone to having problems by thinking about them too much.
I'd say that pretty much explains it in 20 words or less.
__________________
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyYears View Post
Yeah I saw that too when I looked at the link. Maybe its taking something else out of the air that was bothering them... OR just gave piece of mind. Like Mentor said, its a very powerful thing.






Every manufacture is different - and formaldehyde IS/WAS used in production of RVs. Some people react to it, others don't... But its still not good to breathe.

The more I read and talking to people on here I am happy to learn that a lot of out gassing happens within the first couple years of the production date.

I am glad you didn't have any issues with your camper though

You should understand that the outsized concern about Formaldehyde is largely driven by the legal community looking for the next $$$ generator. The have tried toxic mold; Radon, and also Formaldehyde. They were so successful with Asbestos that they need another cash cow. Formaldehyde outgases from many, many building materials used in all construction. It's present in commercial construction as well as homes. You have heard about it in RV construction because it gives the legal community a clear target to vilify.

Go out and enjoy RVing. Any RV more that a year old will have formaldehyde levels no More than the general surrounding environment and undetectable.


Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 171
Here is some good information pertinent to Formaldehyde. The info addresses where the gas comes from, symptoms, testing and solutions.
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/12191...nal%200113.pdf
__________________
Kathy
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH
Full timers
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You should understand that the outsized concern about Formaldehyde is largely driven by the legal community looking for the next $$$ generator. The have tried toxic mold; Radon, and also Formaldehyde. They were so successful with Asbestos that they need another cash cow. Formaldehyde outgases from many, many building materials used in all construction. It's present in commercial construction as well as homes. You have heard about it in RV construction because it gives the legal community a clear target to vilify.

Go out and enjoy RVing. Any RV more that a year old will have formaldehyde levels no More than the general surrounding environment and undetectable.


Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

X2...this is exactly correct and it is not the issue people are making it, by the way what do you think gives you that "new car" smell everyone loves. If you have ever bought a new car and drove with the AC on you have already inhaled a way more concentrated amount than you would in a MH. Read some of the warnings that are on new cars labels, MSRP sheets and manuals. It's all about someone trying to make money, and it has been there forever. Just air it out if it really bothers you and you should be fine.
__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Big Bear Lake, Ca
Posts: 886
Formaldehyde Gas And How To Get Rid Of It

I couldn't find the air filter but if it has a charcoal canister in the system this would remove formaldehyde, even as a gas, by the process of absorption. Gas masks, been around for awhile, charcoal.

Airing the unit out, windows and vents open on a sunny day works wonders.

In arid regions, fill a bucket half full with water and leave it in the RV. It will keep the humidity up and the walls and wood from drying out.
__________________
2004 CRV TOAD/1990 WRANGLER TOAD ROCK BUILT
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:01 AM   #24
Member
 
GypsyYears's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You should understand that the outsized concern about Formaldehyde is largely driven by the legal community looking for the next $$$ generator. The have tried toxic mold; Radon, and also Formaldehyde. They were so successful with Asbestos that they need another cash cow. Formaldehyde outgases from many, many building materials used in all construction. It's present in commercial construction as well as homes. You have heard about it in RV construction because it gives the legal community a clear target to vilify.

Go out and enjoy RVing. Any RV more that a year old will have formaldehyde levels no More than the general surrounding environment and undetectable.


Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Never thought about it this way - thank you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2 View Post
Here is some good information pertinent to Formaldehyde. The info addresses where the gas comes from, symptoms, testing and solutions.
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/12191...nal%200113.pdf
I will check it out thanks for the resource.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I couldn't find the air filter but if it has a charcoal canister in the system this would remove formaldehyde, even as a gas, by the process of absorption. Gas masks, been around for awhile, charcoal.

Airing the unit out, windows and vents open on a sunny day works wonders.

In arid regions, fill a bucket half full with water and leave it in the RV. It will keep the humidity up and the walls and wood from drying out.

If it bothers me (which I don't think its going to) I will look into a filter.

And I think you have your information backwards. Hot humid conditions cause formaldehyde to out gas more than more temperate or dry/cooler climates; from the research ive done.

Cheers
__________________

__________________
'04 Brave // Full-Timers working towards Homesteading
Tasha & Joseph and the fur kids - Dukkha and Buddy (woof!) <3 Lady With A Hippie Heart <3 Please follow my Adventures @ https://gypsyyears.wordpress.com/
GypsyYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.