Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #15

If you drive it very much, the outgassing will accelerate and diminish pretty soon.

As for getting the chemicals out with an air purifier, a filter with charcoal will adsorb the gasses from the air.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #16

And according to the manufacturer in the link provided: "this purifier removes both particulate and gaseous contaminants, including, bacteria, viruses, germs, mold, mildew, pollen, pet dander, odors, tobacco smoke."

We will probably have a small HEPA filtration device going in our new fulltime rig. Hopefully will keep allergies to a minimum, especially when trying to sleep.

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
And according to the manufacturer in the link provided: "this purifier removes both particulate and gaseous contaminants, including, bacteria, viruses, germs, mold, mildew, pollen, pet dander, odors, tobacco smoke."

We will probably have a small HEPA filtration device going in our new fulltime rig. Hopefully will keep allergies to a minimum, especially when trying to sleep.

Roy
Although formaldehyde "out gasses" its not on that list. I would check specifics for that purifier or call the manufacture and see. Filters tend to list EVERYTHING they get rid of because it shows the efficiency of the machine.

A HEPA filter would be awesome - good luck!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #18

There used to be a website claiming a 100% wool blanket would absorb formaldehyde and eliminate it from a room forever. For some unknown reason, that website is gone now.
Another website claims a wool blanket treated with formaldehyde has anti-bacterial properties, and will not smell of formaldehyde.
Bottom line_ IMO, using the tried and true method of airing out the RV works best.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Many people are also prone to having problems by thinking about them too much.
I'd say that pretty much explains it in 20 words or less.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyYears View Post
Yeah I saw that too when I looked at the link. Maybe its taking something else out of the air that was bothering them... OR just gave piece of mind. Like Mentor said, its a very powerful thing.

Every manufacture is different - and formaldehyde IS/WAS used in production of RVs. Some people react to it, others don't... But its still not good to breathe.

The more I read and talking to people on here I am happy to learn that a lot of out gassing happens within the first couple years of the production date.

I am glad you didn't have any issues with your camper though

You should understand that the outsized concern about Formaldehyde is largely driven by the legal community looking for the next $$$ generator. The have tried toxic mold; Radon, and also Formaldehyde. They were so successful with Asbestos that they need another cash cow. Formaldehyde outgases from many, many building materials used in all construction. It's present in commercial construction as well as homes. You have heard about it in RV construction because it gives the legal community a clear target to vilify.

Go out and enjoy RVing. Any RV more that a year old will have formaldehyde levels no More than the general surrounding environment and undetectable.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #21

Here is some good information pertinent to Formaldehyde. The info addresses where the gas comes from, symptoms, testing and solutions.
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/12191...nal%200113.pdf
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You should understand that the outsized concern about Formaldehyde is largely driven by the legal community looking for the next $$$ generator. The have tried toxic mold; Radon, and also Formaldehyde. They were so successful with Asbestos that they need another cash cow. Formaldehyde outgases from many, many building materials used in all construction. It's present in commercial construction as well as homes. You have heard about it in RV construction because it gives the legal community a clear target to vilify.

Go out and enjoy RVing. Any RV more that a year old will have formaldehyde levels no More than the general surrounding environment and undetectable.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

X2...this is exactly correct and it is not the issue people are making it, by the way what do you think gives you that "new car" smell everyone loves. If you have ever bought a new car and drove with the AC on you have already inhaled a way more concentrated amount than you would in a MH. Read some of the warnings that are on new cars labels, MSRP sheets and manuals. It's all about someone trying to make money, and it has been there forever. Just air it out if it really bothers you and you should be fine.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #23

Formaldehyde Gas And How To Get Rid Of It

I couldn't find the air filter but if it has a charcoal canister in the system this would remove formaldehyde, even as a gas, by the process of absorption. Gas masks, been around for awhile, charcoal.

Airing the unit out, windows and vents open on a sunny day works wonders.

In arid regions, fill a bucket half full with water and leave it in the RV. It will keep the humidity up and the walls and wood from drying out.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Never thought about it this way - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2 View Post
Here is some good information pertinent to Formaldehyde. The info addresses where the gas comes from, symptoms, testing and solutions.
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/12191...nal%200113.pdf
I will check it out thanks for the resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I couldn't find the air filter but if it has a charcoal canister in the system this would remove formaldehyde, even as a gas, by the process of absorption. Gas masks, been around for awhile, charcoal.

Airing the unit out, windows and vents open on a sunny day works wonders.

In arid regions, fill a bucket half full with water and leave it in the RV. It will keep the humidity up and the walls and wood from drying out.

If it bothers me (which I don't think its going to) I will look into a filter.

And I think you have your information backwards. Hot humid conditions cause formaldehyde to out gas more than more temperate or dry/cooler climates; from the research ive done.

Cheers

Tags
gas