Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #1

Angry Formaldehyde Gas And How To Get Rid Of It

I am very excited about RVing and getting a chance to see the country - but I am also a semi-health freak and am scared about some of the stuff I have been reading about the plastics/wood and finishing they use in RV's. I've learned that formaldehyde gasses out in RV's in hotter climates and is known to cause allergies, irritation in the throat/eyes/skin, and can even lead to cancers and other diseases.

I am extremely distressed by this and have been looking into how to get rid of it. I've read about an ammonia treatment you can do to eliminate formaldehyde gas (but cant figure out if it fixes the problem permanently or temporarily.) Has anyone done this treatment?

That seems to be the main way to rid the RV of the out gassing (I am still in the process of researching the idea) and would love to hear other options that some of you have done yourselves... Because I know there HAS to be other options out there.

Thank you and happy RVing!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #2

Buy a used RV that's more than 5 years old and the materials will have already outgassed all they're going to. If you feel the need, there are RVs out there built for people with severe chemical sensitivities, but time will usually do an adequate job in making the environment benign inside an RV.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Any 'treatment' is nothing but a way to waste your money. Newer RVs don't have materials in them that would outgass formaldehyde as in the past. Not since a year or two after Katrina - that was what brought the whole thing to a head. Older ones (unless they've been kept totally closed up the whole time) have already outgassed everything they're going to. The whole problem was from tightly sealed & closed up units sitting for months after manufacturing, and then being used during the summer (still closed but with the AC going), and the chemicals not being allowed to escape and clean air to come in.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Buy a used RV that's more than 5 years old and the materials will have already outgassed all they're going to. If you feel the need, there are RVs out there built for people with severe chemical sensitivities, but time will usually do an adequate job in making the environment benign inside an RV.
Alright that makes me feel a little bit better - the RV I am looking at is a 2004 - so im hoping it was used enough to have outgassed and wont anymore.

Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
Any 'treatment' is nothing but a way to waste your money. Newer RVs don't have materials in them that would outgass formaldehyde as in the past. Not since a year or two after Katrina - that was what brought the whole thing to a head. Older ones (unless they've been kept totally closed up the whole time) have already outgassed everything they're going to. The whole problem was from tightly sealed & closed up units sitting for months after manufacturing, and then being used during the summer (still closed but with the AC going), and the chemicals not being allowed to escape and clean air to come in.
Thanks Walt! I am looking at a 2004 so as I said above I am hoping it has outgassed everything. I am hoping you are both right and I wont have any issues
Old 06-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #5

I personally outgas alot but my wife has become accustomed to it with no ill effects.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #6

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
I personally outgas alot but my wife has become accustomed to it with no ill effects.

Thanks for sharing Shes a keeper haha
Old 06-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

I brought up this very topic on the KeystoneRv forum and was shut down. The moderators said that by asking what people are doing about the gasses of a new RV that I was handing out medical advice that made them liable. They are in a different universe on that forum.

Anyway. I bought a new RV and was concerned about the gasses. The solution was buying an air purifier http://www.costco.com/Asept-Air-Life...100126485.html . Before the purifier, as allergy sufferers, we both stuffed up pretty bad after long periods in the RV. Sleeping in the bedroom was the most difficult. After buying the purifier we let it run for 24 hours in the RV. Never had a problem since. We still run the purifier in the bedroom when we sleep and it makes a significant difference.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #8

Many people are also prone to having problems by thinking about them too much.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I brought up this very topic on the KeystoneRv forum and was shut down. The moderators said that by asking what people are doing about the gasses of a new RV that I was handing out medical advice that made them liable. They are in a different universe on that forum.

Anyway. I bought a new RV and was concerned about the gasses. The solution was buying an air purifier http://www.costco.com/Asept-Air-Life...100126485.html . Before the purifier, as allergy sufferers, we both stuffed up pretty bad after long periods in the RV. Sleeping in the bedroom was the most difficult. After buying the purifier we let it run for 24 hours in the RV. Never had a problem since. We still run the purifier in the bedroom when we sleep and it makes a significant difference.
Thank you I will look into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Many people are also prone to having problems by thinking about them too much.
I agree - a lot of what we experience develops in our minds - but I also don't want to take chances with formaldehyde. If I feel like I am experiences headaches or extreme allergies/thoat and nose discomfort or anything of that sort - I will get the RV tested for the gas.

Thanks for your comments Mr. Mentor
Old 06-04-2015, 06:40 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

You posted exactly what my daughter and her husband experienced over the last couple of months with a new TT. After their first two week-end trips she called me and said that they were waking up every morning with headaches, not severe but aggravating and no they were not running a furnace. I suggested that they needed to air it out, leave windows open, fans running as much as possible before their next trip. She did some research and decided to also buy a small air purifier. They have made two trips since that time and report restful sleep with no headaches.

To the OP, I have always bought used RV's and we never have had a problem with "outgassing" , time is your friend.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
You posted exactly what my daughter and her husband experienced over the last couple of months with a new TT. After their first two week-end trips she called me and said that they were waking up every morning with headaches, not severe but aggravating and no they were not running a furnace. I suggested that they needed to air it out, leave windows open, fans running as much as possible before their next trip. She did some research and decided to also buy a small air purifier. They have made two trips since that time and report restful sleep with no headaches.

To the OP, I have always bought used RV's and we never have had a problem with "outgassing" , time is your friend.
Makes me happy I decided on used instead of going brand new thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:

If you read about that air purifier, it will remove dust, pollen, smoke, mold spores, smoke, bacteria, viruses, etc. The common characteristic is that all of the things it removes from the air are solids. Some of them may be microscopic, but they are still solid.

That device is not able to remove formaldehyde or any other gasses from the air.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I'm SURE there is a very small percentage of people that are allergic/have issues.... but
Me thinks Dr Mentor is onto something!

Sorta like the weather person sitting in a canoe to show how bad the flooding is and someone walks across the screen and the water is ankle deep

We bought new and never had an issue....

the materials they build with are probably delivered weeks or months before used,
it probably takes a month to build an rv,
it sits on their delivery lot for weeks,
it takes a week to get to you,
the pdi is another week....
and you probably don't stay in it the first night you get it,
so define new to me
Old 06-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
If you read about that air purifier, it will remove dust, pollen, smoke, mold spores, smoke, bacteria, viruses, etc. The common characteristic is that all of the things it removes from the air are solids. Some of them may be microscopic, but they are still solid.

That device is not able to remove formaldehyde or any other gasses from the air.

Joel
Yeah I saw that too when I looked at the link. Maybe its taking something else out of the air that was bothering them... OR just gave piece of mind. Like Mentor said, its a very powerful thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I'm SURE there is a very small percentage of people that are allergic/have issues.... but
Me thinks Dr Mentor is onto something!

Sorta like the weather person sitting in a canoe to show how bad the flooding is and someone walks across the screen and the water is ankle deep

We bought new and never had an issue....

the materials they build with are probably delivered weeks or months before used,
it probably takes a month to build an rv,
it sits on their delivery lot for weeks,
it takes a week to get to you,
the pdi is another week....
and you probably don't stay in it the first night you get it,
so define new to me
Every manufacture is different - and formaldehyde IS/WAS used in production of RVs. Some people react to it, others don't... But its still not good to breathe.

The more I read and talking to people on here I am happy to learn that a lot of out gassing happens within the first couple years of the production date.

I am glad you didn't have any issues with your camper though

Tags
gas