Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #1

found a cure for my fridge icing up!

Forgot to latch it and the door popped open an inch or two on a 130 mile move and all the ice melted off the fins, problem solved, Haha!
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
Community Administrator

There's usually two ways to do anything. Thanks for sharing .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #3

Jokes aside, I was told by someone at CW that one of those battery powered fans in the fridge help keep the ice under control. I never did buy one though.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually a computer fan 12v available at any store like Best Buy mounted in your refrigerator using power from the light switch (which is always "hot") rids you of ice build up and makes the temperatures in the fridge even throughout the interior. Neatest effective handy improvement ever and I learned it here on IRV2
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We put one of these in 2 years ago and haven't seen frost or ice since.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=251249584124
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Yea I've heard about the fan fix but I don't really want to lose any more space. It's small enough in there already! might have to do it though. Wonder if I got a smaller one and mounted it on the bottom instead of the front if it would be as effective or if it would get wet and short out.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hard Drive Cooler

If you're at all tech oriented you can find a dual fan hard drive cooler on eBay for under $5 and be a little inventive about how you attach it to the fins.

Or even better go with a single 230mm case fan. Cost more, but they move more air at low RPM and are virtually silent.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
In my case, the fan has been a big help. I bought one of those small battery powered ones from CW a few years ago and it seems to do the job and helps circulate air in the fridge.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
In my case, the fan has been a big help. I bought one of those small battery powered ones from CW a few years ago and it seems to do the job and helps circulate air in the fridge.
X2! Ours is over 10 years old and still works fine. Uses 2 "D" batteries every 6 mos. if you remove the batteries when the frig is off. Another plus, you may move it wherever you find a blank spot on a shelf.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

X2! Ours is over 10 years old and still works fine. Uses 2 "D" batteries every 6 mos. if you remove the batteries when the frig is off. Another plus, you may move it wherever you find a blank spot on a shelf.
Sounds great for old technology, but why not put a fan in that runs off the 12v control system of the fridge? Never mind, I do the same with other things
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Jokes aside, I was told by someone at CW that one of those battery powered fans in the fridge help keep the ice under control. I never did buy one though.
I've been using them for years. Due to the down size from a double door fridge when we got rid of our larger older unit, I ended up with four of the battery powered fans, so I use two in the freezer and two in the fridge. No build up and fridge and freezer stays cold.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a Domestic 1292 fridge, it is pretty good size. The five inch computer fan cost me about fifteen bucks and I put it in with Velcro. It lays right against the cooling fins in the back so it takes up no real room. I ran the wires on the side down to the light and an easy hook up there has it running all the time virtually silent.

I know a three inch fan of the same type would be plenty to cause the required movement of air; smaller still. Small investment of time and money for such huge positive results.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
If you're at all tech oriented you can find a dual fan hard drive cooler on eBay for under $5 and be a little inventive about how you attach it to the fins.

Or even better go with a single 230mm case fan. Cost more, but they move more air at low RPM and are virtually silent.
Oh ya, I build my own computers and have about 4 old towers I never use anymore lying around so I know I have a fan that would work, it's just finding the time and actually doing it, lol!