Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #1

Frame rust on cargo trailer

Hi,

New guy here. Looking to purchase a used cargo trailer. I am looking at a Kristi cargo trailer. Anyone has a review on that brand? One i am looking is pretty nice inside and out, but it has general surface rust on the frame underneath. Is it bad? It is about 6 yrs old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	322EF051-C4BA-4EE0-86DC-8F0059A71095.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	268479  
Smf834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #2

Looks about normal for something sitting outside. My car trailer springs and mounting look like that and its from 2012.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #3

You should see my 1995 cargo trailer frame, very rusty, still in good structural condition.
If you want to stop all that rust, paint with POR15. It turns rust back into sound metal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #4

So how bad before it would be cause for concern? I know about poking it with a ball peen. Should it be removed? How?
Old 12-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #5

Looks about average for a trailer. They don't' paint the under side and f they do it's not painted much. You can wire brush it then coat it with a rust converting primer if you want. It's about $30 a gallon at our Lowes. I just got one for my utility trailer.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #6

I am new to cargo trailer, so bear with me. What should i look for when inspecting a 5x8? The owner states that he has done custom work such as putting in new cent, put in shower plastic liner as insulation?, carpeted. Exterior seems good, asking for 2300. Is it reasonable? I just havent seen many this brand trailer on the road to compare quality of workmanship and value.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/t...029156055.html
Old 12-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smf834 View Post
I am new to cargo trailer, so bear with me. What should i look for when inspecting a 5x8? The owner states that he has done custom work such as putting in new cent, put in shower plastic liner as insulation?, carpeted. Exterior seems good, asking for 2300. Is it reasonable? I just havent seen many this brand trailer on the road to compare quality of workmanship and value.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/t...029156055.html
Trailers like that are very common on Craigslists. I see the price is now $1900
the condition from the pictures looks used but usable.

If you factor in that you will be spending a day with a wire wheel on a right angle grinder, cleaning up all exposed metal and painting with some gloss black rustoleum, then it will look good underneath for quite a while. The top just look for water leaks and related damage to the plywood. And that the hinges are greased and lights all work. Ideally LED lights for durability.

Tractor Supply (TSC) has the paint products inexpensive. You can buy a cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight. Hopefully you have a medium sized compressor already. With the tools, then the paint is cost effective. You can use a Home depot rustoleum rattle can too. Buy half a dozen.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't worry about that amount of rust!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #9

putting in new cent, put in shower plastic liner as insulation?, carpeted.

What is a cent? And it looks like a plain ole job trailer in the pics. i don't know what they run new but trailers used for construction like this seem to live hard lives. Is that a big dent in the front of it at the top? I can't tell if it is or just a glare.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #10

If it bothers you go buy a couple of cans of rust inhibitor paint and paint it.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #11

Sorry, new VENT... i have no idea what is the purpose in lining the trailer with plastic liner as insulation either. I believe it was used for moving cross country, and used as a camping storage unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
putting in new cent, put in shower plastic liner as insulation?, carpeted.

What is a cent? And it looks like a plain ole job trailer in the pics. i don't know what they run new but trailers used for construction like this seem to live hard lives. Is that a big dent in the front of it at the top? I can't tell if it is or just a glare.

Tags
frame, rust, trailer