Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
If he's coming from Beaumont, he can be in downtown Galveston via High Island and the Bolivar ferry almost by the time he gets to Baytown. And its a much more scenic drive.
I'm just curious, but do they allow motorhomes on the ferry? We live near Lake Houston and will avoid I 45S at all cost.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club

Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
That is one pretty bridge.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I'm just curious, but do they allow motorhomes on the ferry? We live near Lake Houston and will avoid I 45S at all cost.
We've taken our motorhome on the Bolivar Ferry and the ferry at Port Aransas several times. I have to turn the propane off at the tank on the Bolivar Ferry and they want to know the mh weight at Port Aransas.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We fish down by the ferry landing and see all types of RV's crossing on it along with 18 wheelers. So as Jim indicated, yes on taking the MH on the ferry.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
thank you everyone for your input.
we are leaving gulf shores on friday morning and taking I-10 to texas. we want to get to a camp close to galveston. i am hoping to only pay between $20-$25@. is that possible? is there something in Texas City?

here is the thing. i have a water phobia. i can't get too close to water or go over long bridges, we have but i am usually lying on the couch. so we will not be going over the hartman bridge. SarahW THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURE. i would have fainted if we just drove up to it.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by comealong View Post
...we want to get to a camp close to galveston.

here is the thing. i have a water phobia. i can't get too close to water or go over long bridges....
Although you don't say if you want to go to Galveston, if you do, remember that Galveston is an island. You'll either go over the causeway or take a ferry to get there; even if you take the long way in from the west end, you'll be crossing bridges and water to get there.

Just so you're aware.....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
thanks RustyJC. I do realize that Galveston is an island that is why i will stay at the campground while my husband does that tour. he loves that kind of stuff.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will also be crossing the Atchafalaya Basin in Louisiana. The bridge is 18-20 miles long I believe. Just so you know.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My recommendation would be Green Caye RV Park in Dickinson, TX. It is about 11 miles from my house. Not much in the way of amenities but they do have a 9 hole par 3 golf course. No water, but if you get daring you can travel N, S, E, and find water. West will find desert in a couple hundred miles or more. I think you will find the price right. $24 for 30A, and $28 for 50A, and they have weekly and monthly rates also. Nicely located to get to Space Center Houston, Downtown Houston, Galveston, but you do have to cross water by bridge to get to Galveston the shortcut way. If you want to go to Galveston the long way it would be down Highway 35 to Freeport, then up the Blue Water Highway. Quite a difference in distance though.

If you are so afraid of water that you don't want to cross the Fred Hartman bridge, you can stay on I-10 to I-45 down to Dickinson and never cross a large body of water. Much more scenic coming in in Hwy 146, and miss the Houston traffic.

If you decide to use Green Caye, let me know which way you are coming in and I'll make sure you miss the major construction near Green Caye. Don't go to Green Caye off of FM-517, use 646. Let me know.

Happy trails.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
thank you everyone for your input.
we are leaving gulf shores on friday morning and taking I-10 to texas. we want to get to a camp close to galveston. i am hoping to only pay between $20-$25@. is that possible? is there something in Texas City?

here is the thing. i have a water phobia. i can't get too close to water or go over long bridges, we have but i am usually lying on the couch. so we will not be going over the hartman bridge. SarahW THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURE. i would have fainted if we just drove up to it.
You're welcome. Let me say this...the Hartman Bridge is tall, but there is not a huge body of water to cross. It simply spans the Houston ship channel and is tall enough for ships to go under. You will cross in just 2 or 3 minutes, so just close your eyes and think pleasant thoughts! It will be much faster (and shorter) than going all the way to I-45.

Good luck, and let us know how the pie is at Wayne's place.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
i found another camp in dickinson, palms rv park. can you compare green caye rv park with it? which would you pick?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
When you get to Wayne's ask for the apple pie with vanilla ice cream, mmmmmm.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
i found another camp in dickinson, palms rv park. can you compare green caye rv park with it? which would you pick?
I'm so glad you brought this up. We have visited the Palms RV Park and it is as nice as any in the area. There are so many that it is difficult to remember them all but I'm going to put this one on my list. They have re-modeled it and there is an on-site restaurant. It is very close to the center of Dickinson and is easy to get to on Hwy 1266. It appears that the weekly rate is $10 cheaper than Green Caye.

In all honesty, if you can get in I would give it a try. It is a lot smaller (site wise) than Green Caye. it is more centrally located to the area amenities, and my house is still close, like 12 miles one route, and 11 miles another.

It is nice.

Dennis, if you have not made reservations yet, and with your passenger, you may want to consider giving it a try.

As I said, there are a lot of RV parks in the area. Some as good, some not so nice.

Take a look at Palms RV Park in Bing.com/maps. Look at the Birds-eye-view and zoom way in for their layout.

Green Caye layout. Zoom way in for good birds-eye-view.

I hope I wasn't to late in getting this information to you.