Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fred Hardman Bridge

Has anyone gone south on 146 and over the Fred Hardman Bridge into Galveston TX. We have a Coach and I am not sure of the width of the bridge. Never been there.
Any info would be helpful. We should be there in 2 days.
Comealong

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

You will have no problem going to Galveston on I-45. The bridge is wide with wide shoulders and built to Texas standards which are wide roads down here.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fred Hardman bridge is no problem for any non-permit vehicle. It is long, wide, and high.
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The Fred Hartman Bridge is no where near I-45. As stated in the original post he is coming on Hwy 146. But the Fred Hartman Bridge is wide with wide shoulders. I have driven a truck across it many times.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No problem for a street legal motorhome or a trailer. The one thing to be aware of is the wind which can be pretty harsh at times.

Ken
Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm curious, comealong. Where are you coming from that makes you use the Fred Hartman (with a T not a D) bridge to get to Galveston? You may be going out of your way.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
He's taking SH 146 instead of I 45. We live in the area and go that way all the time. The Hartman Bridge is relatively new and at least 6 lanes wide.

ETA--Comealong, the bridge is between Baytown and LaPorte TX...you will not be entering Galveston when you cross the bridge. (It's at least 30 more miles to Galveston, and you'll merge into I45 South before crossing the causeway bridge onto the island.)

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm only asking where he is coming from because if he's coming from Beaumont or Houston he's going out of his way. Now if he's coming down SH 146 from Dayton thats another story. I've used the bridge since its opening in 1995 but only for specific trips to Baytown and LaPorte.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #9

My bad on the I45. Old eyes and didn't have reading glasses on. If they are coming from Beaumont on I-10, getting off at 146 will be shorter than going to Houston first, otherwise you are correct on coming from Houston and using I45.
ldprice47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If he's coming from Beaumont, he can be in downtown Galveston via High Island and the Bolivar ferry almost by the time he gets to Baytown. And its a much more scenic drive.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
THe most important thing to know about traveling south on 146 is to plan a stop (all of you) at Wayne M's house just pull and knock on the door, tell him Dennis sent you and you are there for the free coffee and pie.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dennis isn't lying. Door is always available to knock on. If we are home we'll open it. If not beware of furry one (70 pounds - but lovable when we are home.)

Don't know where you are coming from, but apparently you are going to Galveston. If you need information on the area, holler.

If you are coming from Beaumont and want to avoid the stop and go in Baytown, take Hwy 99S. It will be just after you cross the Liberty River bridge. Now that one is narrow on I-10 but many a traveler has had to take it and I have never had a problem. Just a mile or 2 after you cross "Westbound" you will see the Hwy 99 sign. Eventually there will be a toll on it, but right now it is free - well it was 3 weeks ago, no toll booths in place. Just follow it around until it "T's" with Business 146, turn left and in 1 mile you will merge with Hwy 146S. I have never had a problem with crossing over on the Fred Hartman bridge and it is three lanes in each direction. Watch the signs and merge left or right when necessary. I have been over it with a 40 ft 5th wheel pulled by a 1 ton F350, and I have been over it in the 40 ft DP. I sort of wondered about the wind, but I never had a problem.

The biggest mess of stop and go will be coming through the village of Seabrook and then Kemah, but a lot better than fighting the Houston traffic and freeway traffic.

Shout at us when you get to town.

I hear a rumor that we'll have to put up with Dennis again some time in the future. Probably will not be so bad this time as he'll have someone nice with him.

Edited: p.s., If you are going further south to the RGV I can give you some scenic routes other than the boring Interstates. The Blue Water Highway is nice in a high sitting MH down to Freeport, the Hwy 35S to Corpus, etc.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Dennis isn't lying. Door is always available to knock on. If we are home we'll open it. If not beware of furry one (70 pounds - but lovable when we are home.)

I hear a rumor that we'll have to put up with Dennis again some time in the future. Probably will not be so bad this time as he'll have someone nice with him.
Cinda I should be there by the 28th or 29th. Plan on staying a week to 10 days, either way we should be able to fit in a couple dinners while there.

Plan on staying at Green Caye again. Maybe we can get in a round of golf if your shoulder is up for it.

See you guys in a couple weeks. Ready for some sun, it's minus 53 on the north slope now.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Houston RV Show is Feb 8-12. Not a real big event, but something to do.

p.s., to those traveling through or around Houston, TX.

WATCH THE WEATHER. Today Bray's Bayou, East of 45 was at 12+ feet. Flood stage is 10+ feet. If there is a deluge of rain in the area, consider stopping and waiting until the drain systems catch up. Watch the news, listen to the radio if storms are in the area.

Happy trails to all travelers.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote