Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freezing

So just checked the weather forcast for tonight, forcast is for mid to upper 20s with the windchill in the teens. After checking my GPS to verify I was still in south Florida I got to wondering if I need to worry about possible freezing of water lines in my MH. We should only have freezing temps for 4 or 5 hours, so I assume they should be okay for just one night??? Get ready for the price of oranges to skyrocket...
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #2

Like most would suggest that you drain out you water hose and sewer hose and pack it in.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man
Like most would suggest that you drain out you water hose and sewer hose and pack it in.
Sorry. Forgot to mention this is in my driveway. So wondering about the plumbing itself with no heat in the MH.
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I would'nt worry TOO much. I might put a 1500 watt heater in the rv. Mine sat thru 4 days of Cold and thankfully it was o.k. In So. Fl. it wont stay cold that long.
Good Luck...
Safe Travels...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We also are in Frozen Florida close to Sabastian Inlet. the prediction is for 26 degrees with the wind blowing less than four hundred miles per hours. I bought a 1500 wat electric heater to keep the ''sewer/water'' compartment warm tonite. I will remove and drain the water hose and roll it up after I fill the water tank. We fought this lion last year also. We were in Lakeland and the temp never got out of the 30's for ten days. Sink holes were appearing in I-4 and wells were going dry all around. Lovely...... I just love Florida for a Winter Over away from the cold in NC.....
Next year its Arizona or Bust.........

Willa and me freezing to death in Florida .......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tomorrow night will be colder then tonight.
Check your forecast out and see how long it will be below 32º
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would wager that the amount of time it will be below freezing will not be long enough to freeze the indoor plumbing of your coach.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
CD

Here in the great NW ( Puget Sound) we had a low last night of 49, a high of 56 today and right now it is 53. It won't stay that way though.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay
I just love Florida for a Winter Over away from the cold in NC.....
Next year its Arizona or Bust.........

Willa and me freezing to death in Florida .......
Hehe. I have to agree. It's AZ for us next year too. Who knew FL could get this chilly?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I've spent several trips to WARM Fl. Recent past trips have not been as pleasant. '07 it was coat weather for 17 days in Orange City. '08 it was +45 and 35 mph winds in Orlando.This year in Feb. 35-45 and windy at Dunnelon. I had all the clothes on that were in the Rv. Think I'll just stay where it's cold when it's supposed to be cold.
18 above 0 now in East Tn.
safe travels...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #11

My rule of thumb is: when days are in the 50's and lows are not below 28 there is little chance of freeze damage to anything about the RV. If you wish to do something, why not just set the RV thermostat on 50 and forget about the chilly weather. That is what I do when our RV is vacant for a few days in chilly weather.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #12

FWIW, there are more insurance claims for freeze damage to boats in Florida than any other state. Heaters do help, but don't forget that some water lines run in basements and near outer walls. If in doubt, drain your water and run a gallon of cheap vodka through the lines. Cheap vodka is about the same price as potable water anti freeze. For you Floridians, it's a pink liquid sold in gallon jugs. I know...you've never seen it before.

And to think I'm moving my coach to Florida for winter storage...
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #13

You should be OK but, when in doubt, I run a 1500 watt heater inside the MH, a 60 watt light bulb in the water pump compartment, and a 60 watt bulb in the refrigerator vent compartment. It is surprising how much heat a light bulb will put out.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with the ''lite bulb theory'' but here on the ''island'' there aint no hardware stores to buy stuff like that .......

be safe ..... If I freeze to death tonite, I want Wayne the Marine to get my sense of humor.... He aint got one ........lol...... Ping .......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote